Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] job offer

  • Julie Perrine
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2008
      Kicker is that this was posted on the DALLAS craigslist, but I don't even think that the driving would be done around Dallas, let alone AUSTIN.  So you're hoping to get to Austin, but this would put you away from your man even more.

      Looks like food and lodging needs to be paid out of the stipend, but gPras is reimbursed.  I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to stay in a tent or do the "geo-tour" thing and bum floorspace from geocachers wherever you end up.  Problem is, it would be next to impossible to conduct a REAL job search while you're doing this.  It would be PERFECT for a college student, though.......

      On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Cindy <cindyfrag@...> wrote:

      Tempting, since I'm looking for employment in Austin as we speak...But really need something permanent.

      I wonder how many "7 day periods" you work in a month?

      Cindy
      CindyFrag

      On 5/14/08, Julie Perrine <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      Hmmmmmm.  I wonder how many speeding tickets you can get before you become "undesirable" for this opportunity.    Hey, if anybody out there has a clean driving record and wants to quit their job for the summer, let me know!  We can do a "car compatability" test with our GPSs any time you want!

      Thanks Phil!

      On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:19 AM, perseid88 <uecker@...> wrote:

      Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with anybody or anything. I don't
      even like people. (kidding) But I do remember some mention of folks
      being "between" jobs around these parts and it kinda souns like what
      we like to do for free.

      This offer was posted on the Dallas craiglist:

      We are looking for a team of two field researchers to use a digital
      video camera to film pre-determined points near major highway
      junctions and entrance ramps. Our company supplies data for GPS
      navigation and mapping software, and this video footage will be used
      to create digitized images in the final software product. Heavy use
      of car is required, but this position is ideal for self-motivated
      people who love to travel. Researchers will work together in a team
      of two (2), sharing one (1) car for the extent of the project. One
      researcher will drive, while the other will navigate and operate the
      video camera while in motion. For this reason, we prefer to receive
      applications from a pair of candidates (friends, siblings, couples,
      etc), who are comfortable spending a long period of time together in
      the same car on the road. Single applicants will also be considered,
      but ideally we will hire researchers as a pair.

      There will be a paid training session in May. The research will begin
      immediately thereafter, and most likely end in August or September.
      Salary, a daily automobile/maintenance stipend, a daily hotel/lodging
      stipend, and a monthly cell phone allowance will be paid, and gas and
      toll expenses will be reimbursed for the duration of the project.

      Candidates must meet the following requirements:

      - A valid drivers license
      - One reliable automobile with proof of current auto insurance
      - Must accept a background check including DMV record
      - An activated cellular phone for ease of communication from the
      field
      - Able to read and understand maps and find specific locations in
      unfamiliar areas
      - Able to attend the training session in May and commit to the extent
      of the assignment (3 to 4 months of continuous, full-time field work,
      much or all of it away from home)

      If you think you're the right team for this unique opportunity,
      please send us your resumes. If your application passes through
      screening, you will receive an email response with more details.

      Compensation: between $970 and $1,170 per researcher for a seven day
      period (based on forty hours of work and includes automobile stipend
      for the car owner, lodging stipend, & cell phone allowance). Your gas
      expenses and tolls are not included in this amount and are reimbursed
      directly from your receipts.
      Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
      Please, no phone calls about this job!
      Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or
      commercial interests.