Re: Chigger itch

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2008
      I'm glad to know that. I had been told they say with you (probably by
      my mother to keep me out of the tall grass and woods as a kid!). This
      news is relieving!

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria \"theJump\""
      <thejump@...> wrote:

      > Okay so I have to speak up again ... Chiggers do bite you and leave
      ... they
      > do NOT borrow into your skin as it is commonly believed. While they are
      > very small and very difficult to see they actually bite you. I did
      a quick
      > web search and found this ...
      >
      > They actually feed on the fluids in skin cells. To get the fluids, they
      > attach themselves to a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive
      > enzyme that ruptures the cells. The enzyme also hardens the
      surrounding skin
      > tissue, forming a sort of straw for sucking the skin cell fluids.
      The whole

      CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com<CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>,