Austin 2pi Triangulation

  • Mark Gessner <mgessner@austin.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2003
      Figured out at least two ways to compute the cache location,
      graphically by construction using a map and dividers, and
      mathematically using the distance formula and a bit of elementary
      calculus. Which way worked for you?
    • Lou Catozzi
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2003
        Mark,
        I used ExpertGPS software and created a data file with the three
        referenced caches and a new waypoint. I set the new waypoint as active
        and it lists the distance to the other three points. I just moved the
        new waypoint around until the other distances matched.

        Lou aka TxHiPowr

        Mark Gessner wrote:
        > Figured out at least two ways to compute the cache location,
        > graphically by construction using a map and dividers, and
        > mathematically using the distance formula and a bit of elementary
        > calculus. Which way worked for you?

        > .

      • Angry Armadillo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2003
          --- "Mark Gessner <mgessner@...>"
          <mgessner@...> wrote:
          > Figured out at least two ways to compute the cache
          > location,
          > graphically by construction using a map and
          > dividers, and
          > mathematically using the distance formula and a bit
          > of elementary
          > calculus. Which way worked for you?

          You could do like I did for 'You can't get there from
          here'. Just wander around in the forest and happen to
          find it. :-)

          Tony

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Roger Banks
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2003
            Come now Tony, surely it would be much more effective
            to simply chose one of the given waypoints and walk
            around it at the given distance until you found it.

            -- Roger

            --- Angry Armadillo <angryarmadillo@...> wrote:

            > --- "Mark Gessner <mgessner@...>"
            > <mgessner@...> wrote:
            > > Figured out at least two ways to compute the cache
            > > location,
            > > graphically by construction using a map and
            > > dividers, and
            > > mathematically using the distance formula and a
            > bit
            > > of elementary
            > > calculus. Which way worked for you?
            > >

            > You could do like I did for 'You can't get there
            > from
            > here'. Just wander around in the forest and happen
            > find it. :-)
            >
            > Tony

            > now.
            > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

            =====
            Uncle Rojelio
            Austin, TX

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • jogle1127 <ogle@ev1.net>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
              Using MapSource, I picked 3-4 waypoints to get the distance from the
              one for the triangulation cache and then plugged in the distance in
              the proximity field for those 3-4 waypoints. Then the software draws
              circles around the waypoints with the distance as the radius - where
              the circles intersected is where the triangulation cache was. I used
              practically no math and no effort!

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Gessner
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2003
                I've posted a new cache that should appear tonite.
                It's a new twist for Austin caches. This one moves.
                Whoever finds it has to take it and place it somewhere
                else and post the new coordinates. It has a camo job
                that should help it fit in almost anywhere and is
                small enough to go unnoticed. Unless you like
                frustration I suggest peeking at the spoiler before
                going after it.

                http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=1272
                http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=53113

                Tony

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Wayne Lind
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Candy picked it up last night. Good job! I like it. I am going to suggest to Candy that she plant it in Trey's front yard. I want to see his face when he sees a geocache there.   :) I am truly evil.

                  See ya,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                    Wayne should spend less time on the computer in the morning and get his AS# in the fitness center.  He's GETTING FATTER.

                    NOW, that's truly EVIL!!  :-)

                    Trey

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                      --- Wayne Lind <wlind@...> wrote:
                      > Candy picked it up last night. Good job! I like it.
                      > I am going to suggest to
                      > Candy that she plant it in Trey's front yard. I want
                      > to see his face when he
                      > sees a geocache there. :) I am truly evil.

                      That is evil...I like it. :-)

                      Tony

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Rich Wendling <web-ling@web-ling.com>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                        She'll do it, too. She's already put a virtual in some lady's front
                        yard in Fort Worth:

                        Rich Wendling
                        aka Web-ling

                        <wlind@a...> wrote:
                        > Candy picked it up last night. Good job! I like it. I am going to
                        suggest to
                        > Candy that she plant it in Trey's front yard. I want to see his
                        face when he
                        > sees a geocache there. :) I am truly evil.
                        >
                        > See ya,

                        Service.
                      • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Trey Bielefeld"
                          <treyb@a...> wrote:
                          > Wayne should spend less time on the computer in the morning and get
                          his AS# in the fitness center. He's GETTING FATTER.

                          > NOW, that's truly EVIL!! :-)

                          EVIL, YES. Truthful? YES. We have both been slacking off and I'm
                          going to have to bug him to get back in there, if only for the stress
                          relief factor.

                          Keep bugging him, Trey! ;-)
                          Candy
                        • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                            WITH HER FULL PERMISSION, I will note!! Were your KIDS the only ones
                            to fulfill the cache requirement, hmmm, Rich???? Maybe I should take
                            that find off your list?????? >:-)

                            Candy

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling <web-