Surreal

  • emmy_n_sapphie
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
      Beacuse Pat has always wanted to go there, Barbara (GiGI) hid a cache
      for Pat in Machu Picchu (Peru) in January. It's called "Para Emmy-n-
      Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just got
      an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
      Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
      third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
      3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.

      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)
    • Barbara Dukette

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
          Mike's on a plane to Ecuador & then on to the Galopogos Islands next, so it may be a while before he logs the FTF. We better start planning a trip soon if Pat is going to be STF .
          MB

          emmy_n_sapphie <mbb2001@flash. net> wrote:
          Beacuse Pat has always wanted to go there, Barbara (GiGI) hid a cache
          for Pat in Machu Picchu (Peru) in January. It's called "Para Emmy-n-
          Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just got
          an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
          Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
          third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
          3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.

          Mary Beth
          (emmy-n-sapphie)

          It has removed 1772 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!
        • judy fox
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
            Wow, That's amazing!

            When's the trip to Peru planned?

            I can't believe he didn't wait for you to be FTF ;-)
            Judy
            The Ladybugs

            Beacuse Pat has always wanted to go there, Barbara (GiGI) hid a cache
            for Pat in Machu Picchu (Peru) in January. It's called "Para Emmy-n-
            Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just got
            an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
            Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
            third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
            3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.

            Mary Beth
            (emmy-n-sapphie)

          • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Gabriel and P
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
              Wow!  How the heck did you get that one approved???

              Penny
              cpnowak

              Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm and Princess Jewel Nowak

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                A local cacher agreed to maintain it if needed. Why he didn't try for FTF is a mystery.

                Beacuse Pat has always wanted to go there, Barbara (GiGI) hid a cache
                for Pat in Machu Picchu (Peru) in January. It's called "Para Emmy-n-
                Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just got
                an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
                Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
                third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
                3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.

                Mary Beth
                (emmy-n-sapphie)

                It has removed 1773 spam emails to date.
                Try SPAMfighter for free now!
              • andrew dickerman
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008

                  Geez Mike,

                  What won’t you do for an FTF?

                  Droid81

                  Andrew

                  Beacuse Pat has always wanted to go there, Barbara (GiGI) hid a cache
                  for Pat in Machu Picchu (Peru) in January. It's called "Para Emmy-n-
                  Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just got
                  an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
                  Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
                  third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
                  3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.

                  Mary Beth
                  (emmy-n-sapphie)

                • electric_water_boy
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Just started wondering if that is some kind of record (distance
                    traveled for an FTF) and where'd you'd look that up.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "andrew dickerman"
                    <andrewd@...> wrote:

                    > Geez Mike,
                    >

                    > What won't you do for an FTF?
                    >

                    > Droid81
                    >
                    > Andrew

                  • Melanie Dickerman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008

                      Now that is something Mike needs to add to his GSAK Stats Macro!

                      Melanie

                      (ACCLanMan)

                      <andrewd@...> wrote:

                      > Geez Mike,
                      >

                      > What won't you do for an FTF?
                      >

                      > Droid81
                      >
                      > Andrew
                      >

                      > From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

                    • Barbara Dukette
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Mystery explained: Tikitki lives in Lima, a 1-1/2 hour flight (or 26 hour bus ride) to Cuzco, and from there a 4 hour train ride. Then, it's merely a 30 minute nail-biting bus ride to the top of the moutain. At Manchu Pichu, you pay to go in and then hike up up up.

                        This "local" cacher is the ONLY cacher in Peru!  And I got to meet him. ;)

                        Barbara (GiGi)

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
                          Not so mysterious then. "ONLY cacher in Peru" - what's wrong with these people??

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                            Just got home late last night, will log this some time today. LOT'S of
                            emails to catch up with first...

                            It was the most magnificent location for a cache you can possibly
                            imagine and it was stunning to find that empty log book! :-)

                            As MB said it was totally surreal to be looking for a cache at Machu
                            Picchu that had been hidden by a friend in Austin. Our guide got very
                            excited about it too.

                            Great cache Barbara!

                            We didn't cache too much - just three caches in Peru and a couple in
                            Ecuador and the Galapagos - just enough to log one in each place. The
                            virtual cache on the equator was very interesting as it turned out
                            that not only the official monument (which is known to be in the wrong
                            spot) but also the new museum supposedly built on the equator were
                            both more than 100m off. Our Ecuador guide was really interested in
                            that so we went off and marked the real equator so he would know where
                            it was. Turned out to be in the road outside the front of the museum.

                            Our driver sat in the van and laughed at the 'loco' tourists and the
                            guide trying to get a photo of a GPS with all zeroes in the rain in
                            the middle of a busy highway. Yikes! We got the photo though! :-)

                            Mike

                            > _____

                            Dukette

                            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47523/*http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/
                            > text5.com> month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.
                            >

                            > _____

                            > It has removed 1772 spam emails to date.
                            > Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> for free now!

                          • Perrine, Julie
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008

                              That is so cool.  Maybe you and Barbara should consider setting up a “travelogue” event where you can show photos and tell stories about your travels.  I sure would like to hear more!

                              Just got home late last night, will log this some time today. LOT 'S of
                              emails to catch up with first...

                              It was the most magnificent location for a cache you can possibly
                              imagine and it was stunning to find that empty log book! :-)

                              As MB said it was totally surreal to be looking for a cache at Machu
                              Picchu that had been hidden by a friend in Austin . Our guide got very
                              excited about it too.

                              Great cache Barbara!

                              We didn't cache too much - just three caches in Peru and a couple in
                              Ecuador and the Galapagos - just enough to log one in each place. The
                              virtual cache on the equator was very interesting as it turned out
                              that not only the official monument (which is known to be in the wrong
                              spot) but also the new museum supposedly built on the equator were
                              both more than 100m off. Our Ecuador guide was really interested in
                              that so we went off and marked the real equator so he would know where
                              it was. Turned out to be in the road outside the front of the museum.

                              Our driver sat in the van and laughed at the 'loco' tourists and the
                              guide trying to get a photo of a GPS with all zeroes in the rain in
                              the middle of a busy highway. Yikes! We got the photo though! :-)

                              Mike

                              > _____
                              >
                              > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                              w:st="on"> Peru ) in January. It's called " Para Emmy-n-
                              > Sapphie" (GC19941). It finally got published March 20th, and I just
                              got
                              > an email from Mike (Lignumaqua) that he was FTF on it yesterday! So an
                              > Austin cacher hid a cache for another Austin cacher in January & a
                              > third Austin cacher was FTF on it in April even though the cache is
                              > 3,232 miles from Austin! Surreal.
                              >
                              > Mary Beth
                              > (emmy-n-sapphie)
                              >

                              > _____
                              >
                              > You rock. That's why Blockbuster' s offering you one

                              <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=47523/ *http://tc. deals.yahoo. com/tc/blockbust er/
                              > text5.com> month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.
                              >

                              > _____

                              > It has removed 1772 spam emails to date.
                              > Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len>
                              for free now!

                            • A Allen (SEMIK)
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                I for one want to see your photos!! Just know that I'll be snooping
                                through your elogs for the Galapagos Islands -- I've got a way
                                distant goal to get there someday...

                                totally envious,
                                semik/Audra

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
                                <geocaching@...> wrote:

                                > Just got home late last night, will log this some time today. LOT'S
                                of
                                > emails to catch up with first...
                                >
                                > It was the most magnificent location for a cache you can possibly
                                > imagine and it was stunning to find that empty log book! :-)
                                >
                                > As MB said it was totally surreal to be looking for a cache at Machu
                                > Picchu that had been hidden by a friend in Austin. Our guide got
                                very
                                > excited about it too.
                                >
                                > Great cache Barbara!
                                >
                                > We didn't cache too much - just three caches in Peru and a couple in
                                > Ecuador and the Galapagos - just enough to log one in each place.
                                The
                                > virtual cache on the equator was very interesting as it turned out
                                > that not only the official monument (which is known to be in the
                                wrong
                                > spot) but also the new museum supposedly built on the equator were
                                > both more than 100m off. Our Ecuador guide was really interested in
                                > that so we went off and marked the real equator so he would know
                                where
                                > it was. Turned out to be in the road outside the front of the
                                museum.

                                > Our driver sat in the van and laughed at the 'loco' tourists and the
                                > guide trying to get a photo of a GPS with all zeroes in the rain in
                                > the middle of a busy highway. Yikes! We got the photo though! :-)
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >

                                > > _____
                                > >
                                > > From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

                              • Vicki L. Almstrum
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                  Next week, I am bound for India for the first time. My trip will take
                                  me to the far SW coast and there is only one cache listed anywhere
                                  near my destinations (Coimbatore, Cochin (or Kochi), and Amritapuri).
                                  My schedule is busy, so I may not even have the opportunity to visit
                                  that one cache, which is located along the coast north of Cochin.

                                  Given my geocaching mindset and inspired by the Machu Picchu story,
                                  my thoughts turn to the possibility of hiding some caches while over
                                  there. I have contacts at the university campuses I will be visiting,
                                  so believe I would be able to arrange for local caretakers. The
                                  trickiest aspect is that the scouting for placement possibilities has
                                  to coincide pretty much with the placement itself.

                                  Do any of you have tips about the style of cache containers and hides
                                  that seem best for these types of locations? I am guessing that bison
                                  tubes or decon containers may be the best choices.

                                  Thanks for any ideas you can pass along!!

                                  -- Vicki / FG2 in FiedoGang
                                • Nick Silkey
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                    Yes, do share the URLs for the photos ...

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                      Great job, Mike!
                                      LOL.

                                      You need an event with a slide-show!

                                    • Candy Lind
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki L. Almstrum"
                                        <almstrum@...> wrote:

                                        > Next week, I am bound for India for the first time ...
                                        > ... My schedule is busy ...
                                        > ... Do any of you have tips about the style of cache containers and
                                        hides that seem best for these types of locations? I am guessing that
                                        bison tubes or decon containers may be the best choices ...

                                        Vicki, I think you are right to stick to small and virtually water and
                                        critter-proof. You might even want to invest in a couple of small
                                        lock-n-locks or a "real" dry box like you carry in a canoe or kayak,
                                        in case you have to worry about monsoon rains. Plastic might still be
                                        susceptible to critters, but sometimes you have to take your chances.
                                        Tie it down if you can. If a colleague is willing to do the
                                        maintenance, you might want to provide him/her with at least one extra
                                        container and logs/pencils/pens to make it easy on them.

                                        Good luck on making some small part of India a little richer in cache!

                                        Happy Trails,
                                        Candy
                                      • Perrine, Julie
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008

                                          I second Candy’s suggestions and also suggest that a log book of the size to write something meaningful is going to be better than just signing your name (as with a bison tube).  The experience gained from seeing other people visit from around the world (possibly) makes this a much “richer” cache.  And by all means, GIVE IT AWAY in the notes.  Nobody wants to DNF their one chance at a cache in India !

                                          Cheers,

                                          Julie

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008
                                            While an ammo-can is plane-prohibitive and travel-unfriendly, you
                                            should look into a Decon or a Lock-n-Lock. This will allow for a
                                            non-micro log which will likely contain more meat than a gc.com
                                            handle. Moreover it may lead to travel bug drops and pickups;
                                            international caches in crazy regions tend ot have cachers wanting to
                                            visit them with bugs for this purpose.

                                            xoxohth

                                            On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:
                                            > Next week, I am bound for India for the first time. My trip will take
                                            > me to the far SW coast and there is only one cache listed anywhere
                                            > near my destinations (Coimbatore, Cochin (or Kochi), and Amritapuri).
                                            > My schedule is busy, so I may not even have the opportunity to visit
                                            > that one cache, which is located along the coast north of Cochin.
                                            >
                                            > Given my geocaching mindset and inspired by the Machu Picchu story,
                                            > my thoughts turn to the possibility of hiding some caches while over
                                            > there. I have contacts at the university campuses I will be visiting,
                                            > so believe I would be able to arrange for local caretakers. The
                                            > trickiest aspect is that the scouting for placement possibilities has
                                            > to coincide pretty much with the placement itself.
                                            >
                                            > Do any of you have tips about the style of cache containers and hides
                                            > that seem best for these types of locations? I am guessing that bison
                                            > tubes or decon containers may be the best choices.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for any ideas you can pass along!!
                                            >
                                            > -- Vicki / FG2 in FiedoGang

                                          • Perrine, Julie
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 14, 2008

                                              I have another suggestion.  Please make the cache as close to the places where travelers might go as possible.  When I thought I was going to China , I looked at the caches and there were several (there were only 49 in all of China ) that were extremely remote (and Westerners aren’t allowed to drive) and hadn’t been found in the couple of years since they had been hidden.  Well, DUH!  Most people aren’t going to be able to get to where the cache was, AND I wouldn’t even try because the chances of it being there after several years (with no FIND logs), are very small.  A great place for your cache should be within easy walking distance of the hotel district, OR at a spot that is highly trafficked by tourists (such as Macchu Picchu.)

                                              Julie Perrine

                                              AMD Sales Finance

                                              512.602.7190

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 17, 2008
                                                If you want to see some stunning photos of Machu Picchu, check out Mike's log (gc19941). Apparemtly Mke has been holding out on us - among his many other diverse talents, he must have been a photographer for National Geographic somewhere along the line. His photos are just amazing.

                                                Mary Beth
                                                (emmy-n-sapphie)

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 17, 2008

                                                  Great pictures.  I then visited all of his South American finds.  Thanks for sharing!

                                                  Russ the waterweasel