Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garmin 60 series calendar--what's it good for?

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
      On 4/1/08, Barry <bcwatson@...> wrote:
      > But it doesn't make for very interesting logs is all you have is the date you found it.... That's why I keep a log book with me or enter logs into Cachemate for later import into GSAK.

      Indeed. Luckily for me, if I can recall the hide by name,
      description, or plot in Google Maps, I can recall the hide/hunt/etc
      ... including what I traded if I did. Its just remembering that first
      GC waypoint ID that sometimes slips my mind.
    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
        I think some of you geocachers have great memories.  My short time memory is shot.
        After a geocaching weekend, I won't remember what I traded at any and very few, if any,
        by their location or name....  unless the name is very descriptive....
        If I didn't put a memory jogger in a paper log or Cachemate, I wouldn't remember them at
        all...
        I hate to admit (due to the trouble a hider went through to place it), but if it was a micro with just a
        log and nothing remarkable about it, I won't write anything down about it. My Calendar list or just
        listing waypoints by "Geocache Found" type will tell me which ones I found and for those, I'll just put
        the TNLNSL TFTC    entry.   But if I traded anything or found something about the hide to be memorable,
        then I will make a paper or Cachemate entry to copy to my entry on the web site....

        Barry
        aka Doc Geo

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
          I carry a little notebook, especially for TB drops, though sometimes the filk/poemtry(sic) will occur to me on-scene, and I run with it. Digital Camera is also good for a memory jogger ... and no expense but batteries.

          Usually I'll remember things by order found, but, yeah, can get confounded. It's another bison tube on a tree in a series.
          But, well, I now have my niche/reputation to maintain -- you'll notice that there are a fair number of cute logs that have little to do with the actual hide itself (no spoilers there! but we do try to entertain) -- I can log about caching in general, in my odd sort of way, or will spin off the title in some sort of weird topic association.
          But if you call me for help on one of those. Errrrr.
          Be prepared to offer up a lot of scene description sometimes.
          The Hotline folks, they do it by keeping good records/notes, but I still feel unworthy.
          And HiDude_98? He has a photographic memory that is just AMAZING.

          I suppose, eventually, a GPS with a Notes field would be nice. But I hate running down the batteries more than listing out the #s once I'm home. So, someday my heirs will find these odd little notebooks and wonder what kind of code is that? =chuckle=
          [BTW, Michaels' has wonderful little pocket notebooks for a buck a piece in their dollar racks.]

          On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:21:04 -0500 "Barry Watson" <bcwatson@...> writes:
          I think some of you geocachers have great memories.  My short time memory is shot.
          After a geocaching weekend, I won't remember what I traded at any and very few, if any,
          by their location or name....  unless the name is very descriptive....
          If I didn't put a memory jogger in a paper log or Cachemate, I wouldn't remember them at
          all...
          I hate to admit (due to the trouble a hider went through to place it), but if it was a micro with just a
          log and nothing remarkable about it, I won't write anything down about it. My Calendar list or just
          listing waypoints by "Geocache Found" type will tell me which ones I found and for those, I'll just put
          the TNLNSL TFTC    entry.   But if I traded anything or found something about the hide to be memorable,
          then I will make a paper or Cachemate entry to copy to my entry on the web site....

          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          > But it doesn't make for very interesting logs is all you have is the date you found it.... That's why I keep a log book with me or enter logs into Cachemate for later import into GSAK.

          Indeed. Luckily for me, if I can recall the hide by name,
          description, or plot in Google Maps, I can recall the hide/hunt/etc
          .... including what I traded if I did. Its just remembering that first
          GC waypoint ID that sometimes slips my mind.

        • Sherry Evans
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2008
            Thanks! I did google it and found the home page but it looked complicated! I'll have to play with it some and see what all it has to offer. It sounds like a lot of people use it.
            sherry/huxitz

            Lee Dedear <ldedear@...> wrote:
            In case you haven't already looked it up, GSAK is geocaching software for Microsoft Windws. It does just about everything related to geocaching waypoint management on your computer, GPS receiver, and PDA. Mind-bogglingly useful, and a real bargain! I don't use it, though.

            You can find it at http://gsak. net/

            --Lee
            "Suchmann"

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2008

              Hi Sherry,

              If you’re a casual geocacher, you don’t need GSAK.  By casual, I mean 5 or so caches a month, and you pick them because you know you’re going to that park in advance and print out the two or three caches you want to look for.  If you are a person who takes off for geocaching maybe on the way home from work or when you’re in the neighborhood or you’ve got a GPS that holds 1000 waypoints and you like having all those at your fingertips, then you need GSAK.  It’s actually FREE if you want to try it out.

              Once or twice a year, Moosiegirl puts on a GeekFest, a fabulous event where everyone comes to teach and learn the tricks of the technology they use.  GSAK is a major topic.  There is not one on the calendar right now, but watch for it in your weekly Thursday emails.

              Cheers,

[...]

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
            • Sherry Evans