RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garmin 60 series calendar--what's it good for?

  • Sherry Evans
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
      I'm going to show how new I am to all of this..........what is GSAK?
      Sherry/Huxitz

      "Perrine, Julie" <julie.perrine@...> wrote:
      Find the calendar icon on the main menu screen.  Enter.  Select the date you want to look at, enter, and it shows you all the caches you found on that date.  For me, because I don’t use a PDA or any other device while I cache, when I get home, it’s a good record of my day and I usually transfer the data manually to GSAK or just log the caches from the list in the calendar.
      Before, I wrote my caches found in a notebook.  This is lots easier!
      You could probably feed the data back down to GSAK, but I like to load smart names or drop2’s and when that gets sent back to GSAK, most of the GSAK functionality disappears because it doesn’t have the full GC number to reference.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
        In case you haven't already looked it up, GSAK is geocaching software for Microsoft Windws. It does just about everything related to geocaching waypoint management on your computer, GPS receiver, and PDA. Mind-bogglingly useful, and a real bargain! I don't use it, though.

        You can find it at http://gsak.net/

        --Lee
        "Suchmann"

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008

          But it doesn't make for very interesting logs is all you have is the date you found it....  That's why I keep a log book with me or enter logs into Cachemate for later import into GSAK.

          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          On a Garmin 60 series (and some others, I believe), when you mark a hide as "found", it is added to the calendar for that day.  When you are logging your finds, this is really handy as you can just look at the calendar for that day and see all your found waypoints.  When I was only doing 3 or 4 caches a day, it was no big deal.  But do a power caching trip and get over 50?  No way can I remember all of those!

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
            On 4/1/08, Barry <bcwatson@...> wrote:
            > But it doesn't make for very interesting logs is all you have is the date you found it.... That's why I keep a log book with me or enter logs into Cachemate for later import into GSAK.

            Indeed. Luckily for me, if I can recall the hide by name,
            description, or plot in Google Maps, I can recall the hide/hunt/etc
            ... including what I traded if I did. Its just remembering that first
            GC waypoint ID that sometimes slips my mind.
          • Barry Watson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              I think some of you geocachers have great memories.  My short time memory is shot.
              After a geocaching weekend, I won't remember what I traded at any and very few, if any,
              by their location or name....  unless the name is very descriptive....
              If I didn't put a memory jogger in a paper log or Cachemate, I wouldn't remember them at
              all...
              I hate to admit (due to the trouble a hider went through to place it), but if it was a micro with just a
              log and nothing remarkable about it, I won't write anything down about it. My Calendar list or just
              listing waypoints by "Geocache Found" type will tell me which ones I found and for those, I'll just put
              the TNLNSL TFTC    entry.   But if I traded anything or found something about the hide to be memorable,
              then I will make a paper or Cachemate entry to copy to my entry on the web site....

              Barry
              aka Doc Geo

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                I carry a little notebook, especially for TB drops, though sometimes the filk/poemtry(sic) will occur to me on-scene, and I run with it. Digital Camera is also good for a memory jogger ... and no expense but batteries.

                Usually I'll remember things by order found, but, yeah, can get confounded. It's another bison tube on a tree in a series.
                But, well, I now have my niche/reputation to maintain -- you'll notice that there are a fair number of cute logs that have little to do with the actual hide itself (no spoilers there! but we do try to entertain) -- I can log about caching in general, in my odd sort of way, or will spin off the title in some sort of weird topic association.
                But if you call me for help on one of those. Errrrr.
                Be prepared to offer up a lot of scene description sometimes.
                The Hotline folks, they do it by keeping good records/notes, but I still feel unworthy.
                And HiDude_98? He has a photographic memory that is just AMAZING.

                I suppose, eventually, a GPS with a Notes field would be nice. But I hate running down the batteries more than listing out the #s once I'm home. So, someday my heirs will find these odd little notebooks and wonder what kind of code is that? =chuckle=
                [BTW, Michaels' has wonderful little pocket notebooks for a buck a piece in their dollar racks.]

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2008

                    Hi Sherry,

                    If you’re a casual geocacher, you don’t need GSAK.  By casual, I mean 5 or so caches a month, and you pick them because you know you’re going to that park in advance and print out the two or three caches you want to look for.  If you are a person who takes off for geocaching maybe on the way home from work or when you’re in the neighborhood or you’ve got a GPS that holds 1000 waypoints and you like having all those at your fingertips, then you need GSAK.  It’s actually FREE if you want to try it out.

                    Once or twice a year, Moosiegirl puts on a GeekFest, a fabulous event where everyone comes to teach and learn the tricks of the technology they use.  GSAK is a major topic.  There is not one on the calendar right now, but watch for it in your weekly Thursday emails.

                    Cheers,

[...]

                    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                  • Sherry Evans