Changing Settings on GPSs

  • Perrine, Julie
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008

      Hi Lee,

      That reminds me of a funny story of how I came to upgrade from my original GPS, a Magellan 2000 (a DINOSAUR!) to the Garmin Vista.  My Magellan would only calculate a waypoint out to two places after the decimal point.  I was frustrated because I felt it wasn’t getting me close enough to the cache with only two decimal places!  So I gritted my teeth and spent the BIG BUCKS (back then) for a Vista .  As I was reading the manual for it, it told me how to change the reading from two digits to three and back again using one of the settings.  On a hunch, I went back to my Magellan to see if it had the same thing, and it DID!  D’OH!  Oh well, I’d probably be using that 4 AA battery clunker today if it weren’t for that.

      And I upgraded to the 60CS because all my pals had a CALENDAR on theirs, and my Vista didn’t have one!  (LOVE that calendar!)

      And I upgraded to the 60CSx because I couldn’t find my CS as I was walking out the door for a business trip.  I bought one full-price (OUCH!) at Fry’s before I even made it to the office out there in California !  (LOVE never having to change maps when I travel!)

      Geez, I’m hoping I can hold off on the next upgrade for a little bit, but……..

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
        Yep I am definately aware of the different formats available - I am just more comfortable with the hours minutes minutes format - I pluged the hours minutes seconds formats into expert gps and then set the format to hours mnutes minutes and voila!! I have uploaded them into my Garmin and will forward them to my friend with the hovercraft.

        Thanks for all the comments and help in this forum - it is always appreciated.

        Paparazzi Pete

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008

          Pete,

          Lee is telling you that you can do the same thing right in your GPS by inputting the coordinates in the format you have and then changing the setting to have it spit out coordinates in the format you WANT.  This means that you can do it in the field with just your GPS and no computer.

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
          • Pete
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
              Thanks Julie, I forgot about just changing the format in the GPS, next time ill take the short route lol

              Paparazzi Pete