Old Hancock Texas

  • peterhey2
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30 9:14 PM
      Hey group, I have fielded a question I am currently unable to answer so
      I thought we would ask the experts out there for a bit of help.

      When Canyon Lake was first created, there was a town named Hancock that
      was submerged when Canyon Dam was finished. I have looked at some of
      the history of the lake area but can only find the name of the town,
      but not where under the lake it might be.

      Can anyone give us the coordinates of the city of Hancock, Tx which is
      buried under Canyon Lake, or give us information as to how we might
      find the data?

      Thanks
      Paparazzi Pete
    • Melanie Dickerman
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31 1:14 PM

        Well,

        After studying the history of the area, looking at current maps and an old land plot map from 1897 I believe it is pretty close to:

        98°14'7.38"W   29°54'38.78"N

        I am by no means an expert here but this was an intriguing question so I had to look it up.  If you are looking for buried treasure it probably won’t help any but as a bit of trivia, it will probably work.

        I would have liked to get my hands on this book which might be able to pinpoint the location even better.

        Hill Country Backroads: Showing the Way in Comal County

        Melanie

        (ACCLanMan)

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 31 8:48 PM
          Thanks melanie, no we arent looking for any kind of treasure, we have a friend with a personal hovercraft and has installed side scan sonar on the unit and wants to test it out to see if it will image the remains of buildings etc on the bottom of the lake. He just needed some kind of starting point to go by so we will give him this information and see where it goes from there.

          We will need to convert the waypoints to the Garmin hours.mm.mm format but that shouldnt be any kind of a problem. Thanks very much for your research on our behalf it is very much appreciated.

          Paparazzi Pete

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31 9:04 PM
            Using Expert GPS we plotted the waypoint and then looked at both the satelite and topo views and the spot appears to be in about the right place as Wanakenagirl remembered it. She said it was near the Canyon Lake Marina, and sure enough, that waypoint puts it due north of the Marina.

            I have attached the Expert GPS view of the plotted waypoint.

            Thanks again for your help

            Paparazzi Pete

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008

              That's cool… but what I'd really like to know is how deep it is.

              It would be great to SCUBA dive the ghost town….

              heh heh….

              Barry

              aka Doc Geo

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                Hey Doc - if he finds the town with the sidescan sonar it will also give the exact depth as well so we will report back to you when and if he finds it. We do know there are a lot of scuba divers that dive the lake but we went to two dive shops looking for "Spare Air" yesterday and they didnt know anything about Hancock.

                I know there is a similar city under Lake Corpus Christi. I remember that as a kid. When the dam was I remember seeing a road that just went down into the water and disappeared but I have long forgotten the name of the town that is submerged there. I suppose every lake created by a dam has something similar under it.

                Paparazzi Pete

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Your Garmin's format can be anything you want! When I first started geocaching, I didn't know that I could change the format on the GPS receiver, so I took a calculator with me to convert the coordinates on multi-cache redirectors, because my Garmin GPS III+ came from the factory with a setting of degrees, minutes, and seconds, and the redirectors always had degrees and minutes, the same as on the cache pages at geocaching.com. Pocket queries seemed to be "converted" automatically, but I did a lot of number crunching in the field. The occasion I remember most was when I found Lowracer's "Electromagnetic Fields Forever".Then I learned that the setting could be changed.

                  Anyone who has managed to subscribe to this group is probably not likely to make the same mistake, but just in case, I'm sharing this note.

                  On a Garmin 60CSx, press "MENU" twice, then select "Setup", then "Units". You'll see "Position Format" at the top of the list.

                  On a Garmin GPS V, press "MENU" twice, then go to the "Location" tab, and "Location Format" is the top field.

                  Those are the only working GPS receivers I have at the moment.

                  --Lee
                  "Suchmann"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008

                    Hi Lee,

                    That reminds me of a funny story of how I came to upgrade from my original GPS, a Magellan 2000 (a DINOSAUR!) to the Garmin Vista.  My Magellan would only calculate a waypoint out to two places after the decimal point.  I was frustrated because I felt it wasn’t getting me close enough to the cache with only two decimal places!  So I gritted my teeth and spent the BIG BUCKS (back then) for a Vista .  As I was reading the manual for it, it told me how to change the reading from two digits to three and back again using one of the settings.  On a hunch, I went back to my Magellan to see if it had the same thing, and it DID!  D’OH!  Oh well, I’d probably be using that 4 AA battery clunker today if it weren’t for that.

                    And I upgraded to the 60CS because all my pals had a CALENDAR on theirs, and my Vista didn’t have one!  (LOVE that calendar!)

                    And I upgraded to the 60CSx because I couldn’t find my CS as I was walking out the door for a business trip.  I bought one full-price (OUCH!) at Fry’s before I even made it to the office out there in California !  (LOVE never having to change maps when I travel!)

                    Geez, I’m hoping I can hold off on the next upgrade for a little bit, but……..

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Yep I am definately aware of the different formats available - I am just more comfortable with the hours minutes minutes format - I pluged the hours minutes seconds formats into expert gps and then set the format to hours mnutes minutes and voila!! I have uploaded them into my Garmin and will forward them to my friend with the hovercraft.

                      Thanks for all the comments and help in this forum - it is always appreciated.

                      Paparazzi Pete

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008

                        Pete,

                        Lee is telling you that you can do the same thing right in your GPS by inputting the coordinates in the format you have and then changing the setting to have it spit out coordinates in the format you WANT.  This means that you can do it in the field with just your GPS and no computer.

                        Cheers,

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                        • Pete
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                            Thanks Julie, I forgot about just changing the format in the GPS, next time ill take the short route lol

                            Paparazzi Pete