RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?

  • Perrine, Julie
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

      Oh, and you asked for fun things to do.  Here are a few:

      Take a Segway tour.

      Ride the free Dillo buses.  You can stand out on the back “patio” and watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.

      Do a “Duck Tour”.

      Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go “underground” to the new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas.  It’s really beautiful.

      The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.  It’s pretty interesting!

      You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake .

      Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.

      Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.

      Tour through the new City Hall and see if there’s live music on the plaza that day.

      Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos .

      Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail

      Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.

      Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway.  Sounds weird, but it’s an amazing place!  And there are maybe 3 virtuals there.  10th and something.  I’m sure it’s on the map.  Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried there.

      That should get you started. J

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

        Wow!  I actually beat you to something….

        lol…

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

          No way, Jose!  Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58 according to my email server!

          Read it and weep!

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

            DOH!  The vagaries of replying to Yahoo group email from outside of the group…. :-D

            But I think we can agree on the cache for them to commemorate the date with…  J

            Barry

            aka Doc Geo

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
              But I saw Barry's first! <G>

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                That's funny, I was just eyeballing those Segway tours. A little
                pricey but looks like loads of fun. We're going to Esther's Follies
                later that night.

                I think you've sold me on Let Me Count The Ways + Frank & Angie's.
                That sounds like it adds up to "yum!". We'll be down there Friday the
                14th. Fantastic suggestions all, thanks everybody! (And keep them
                coming too!)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
                <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                > Oh, and you asked for fun things to do. Here are a few:
                >

                > Take a Segway tour.
                >
                > Ride the free Dillo buses. You can stand out on the back "patio" and
                > watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.
                >
                > Do a "Duck Tour".
                >
                > Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go "underground" to the
                > new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas. It's really
                > beautiful.
                >

                > The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.
                > It's pretty interesting!
                >
                > You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake.
                >
                > Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.
                >
                > Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.
                >
                > Tour through the new City Hall and see if there's live music on the
                > plaza that day.
                >
                > Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos.
                >

                > Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail
                >
                > Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.
                >
                > Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway. Sounds weird, but
                > it's an amazing place! And there are maybe 3 virtuals there. 10th and
                > something. I'm sure it's on the map. Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and
                > just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried
                > there.
                >

                > That should get you started. :-)
                >

                > Julie
                >
                > Mrs. Captain Picard
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Pam Tobias
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                  This may be a bit intense for the casual geocacher, but I recently had a day off and Jeff and I had an absolutely awesome day doing the multi called Accidental Tourist (GCDB3C) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d32545c5-110f-4c08-a68a-ce6190cbea88

                  Each leg is somewhere along the Lady Bird Lake Trail.  We rented mountain bikes at Bicycle Sport Shop and rode around the trail, picking up other caches along the way, but the ultimate goal was this one.  And to get the final, you need a kayak, which we rented from The Rowing Dock!  It was perfect weather, perfect company, and a fabulous day together that we will never forget.

                  Oh now I want another day off!
                  Pam/pblt

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                    Agreed!

[...]

                  • electric_water_boy
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Weird. It shows up here as Barry posting up at 2:58 and Julie
                      posting up at 3:00. And Barry's is on the list first. But I'm not
                      going to argue with anyone who has photon torpedos, phasers, and a
                      transporter at their disposal!

                      <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                      > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                      according to
                      > my email server!
                      >

                      > Read it and weep!
                      >

                      > Julie
                      >
                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      Perrine,
                      > Julie
                      > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                      > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?
                      >

                      > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                      >

                      > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                      date
                      > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                      downtown. In
                      > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                      what
                      > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                      notes
                      > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                      >

                      > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                      replace
                      > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                      write
                      > your love note.
                      >

                      > Julie
                      >
                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • bcwatson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                        Agreed, and have you seen the Captain's wife in a Starfleet uniform?

                        No offense…   I'm just saying….

                        ;-)

                        <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                        > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                        according to
                        > my email server!
                        >

                        > Read it and weep!
                        >

                        > Julie
                        >
                        > Mrs. Captain Picard
                        >
                        > ____________ _________ _________ __
                        >
                        > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                        Perrine ,
                        > Julie
                        > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                        > To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                        > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Special cache recommendation?
                        >

                        > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                        >

                        > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                        date
                        > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                        downtown. In
                        > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                        what
                        > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                        notes
                        > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                        >

                        > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                        replace
                        > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                        write
                        > your love note.
                        >

                        > Julie
                        >
                        > Mrs. Captain Picard
                        >
                        > ____________ _________ _________ __
                        >
                        > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                        w:st="on">Austin has become more
                        > special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like
                        > find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                        occasionally
                        > involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                        little
                        > milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                        "date"
                        > cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
                        > and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
                        > great day together.
                        >
                        > Any suggestions?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Ross/rhouston
                        >
                        > P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
                        > find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                        > suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown
                        w:st="on">Austin if you had the day
                        > off would be welcome as well.

                      • Perrine, Julie
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                          In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53.  It’s still attached here.  Both you and I agree that Barry’s posted at 2:58.

                          The fact that Barb read Barry’s before mine just shows that she loves him more than she loves me, and I’ll have to carry that with me FOREVER.  LOL!

                          Now, don’t MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.

                          <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                          > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                          according to
                          > my email server!
                          >

                          > Read it and weep!
                          >

                          > Julie
                          >
                          > Mrs. Captain Picard
                          >
                          > ____________ _________ _________ __
                          >
                          > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                        • electric_water_boy
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                            Yes Ma'am.

                            Ensign Boy salutes and leaves to go to his room where he is scolded
                            by his mother> She tells him to go to the holodeck, bring up the
                            1865 One room schoolhouse program, go to the chalkboard, and then
                            write 1,000 times:

                            "If I want to attend the Academy I will not argue with the Captain's
                            wife."

                            <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                            > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                            > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                            >

                            > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                            loves
                            > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                            FOREVER.
                            > LOL!
                            >

                            > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                            >

                            > Julie
                            >
                            > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                            Julie"
                            > <julie.perrine@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                            > according to
                            > > my email server!
                            > >

                            > > Read it and weep!
                            > >

                            > > Julie
                            > >
                            > > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            > >
                            > > ________________________________
                            > >
                            > > From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>

                          • Perrine, Julie
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                              I like your attitude!  Keep up the good work.

                              <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                              > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                              > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                              >

                              > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                              loves
                              > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                              FOREVER.
                              > LOL!
                              >

                              > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                              >

                              > Julie
                              >
                              > Mrs. Captain Picard
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ __
                              >
                              > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                              w:st="on">Austin if you had the
                              day

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                When downtown (for some value) we do enjoy catching whatever is at the
                                IMAX (Bob Bullock History Museum)

                                It was fun wandering around the capitol grounds, too....

                                sez something about a Tygress and a Waterweasel.... just what, well, let
                                that go =g=

                                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
                                > > <rhouston@...> wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for
                                > >> special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It
                                > also
                                > >> turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
                                > >> planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife
                                > going
                                > >> to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become
                                > more
                                > >> special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd
                                > like to
                                > >> find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                                > occasionally
                                > >> involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                                > little
                                > >> milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                                > "date"
                                > >> cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th
                                > find,
                                > >> and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a
                                > really
                                > >> great day together.
                                > >>
                                > >> Any suggestions?
                                > >>
                                > >> Thanks,
                                > >> Ross/rhouston
                                > >>
                                > >> P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this
                                > cache
                                > >> find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                                > >> suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the
                                > day
                                > >> off would be welcome as well.
                                > >>

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >

                                > --
                                > Dominic J. Eidson / uthrom
                                > "Baruk Khazad! Khazad
                                > ai-menu!" - Gimli

                                It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                                Guisewite
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                    I love how a simple request for a milestone cache near downtown turns into a big flame war!  Gotta love these passionate CenTex Geocachers...we can fight about ANYthing. ;)

                                    Kevin
                                    KoosKoos

                                    P.S. and no, I'm not digging through the Yahoo posting #'s to settle this childish dispute. :)

                                    On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                                    Whoa whoa WHOA!!!!
                                    Don't drag me into this date/time stamp thing.
                                    I use Juno, it always lists things backwards. I think it just likes to mock me.

                                    Now Russ may have posted a couple cents worth....

                                    Ah just said you oughter go see the IMAX, especially if it's that 3D Sea Monsters thingie.

                                    Barb (not counting not timing) Tygress

                                    <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                    > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                    according to
                                    > my email server!
                                    >

                                    > Read it and weep!
                                    >

                                    > Julie
                                    >
                                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                    @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                    It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      flame?
                                      I see no flame.
                                      I see, MAYBE, enthusiastic hand waving....

                                      no harm in hand waving -- so long as you have your protective goggles....
                                      you DO have your protective goggles

                                    • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        Hmmm...must be the water in the area.  I'm going to have to get a jug of barton springs water to dose my bosses coffee with, it can only improve his humour.

                                        the amish postman