RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?

  • Perrine, Julie
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

      Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!

      It’s called Let Me Count the Ways, and it’s at the site of my first date with an old boyfriend—Frank and Angie’s Italian Restaurant downtown.  In the log for the cache, you’re supposed to write who you love and what you love about them.  You could sit at the table and write love notes about each other while you eat!    GCGN7B

      If you will let me know when you’re going, I will go down and replace the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to write your love note.

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

        What else could it possibly be but GCGN7B (Let Me Count The Ways…)?

        http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGN7B

        Barry

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
          I was actually shown this on a busy Sunday. I didn't log it, but I know to

          - d.

          > Terra's Treasure - GCHAHK. A great urban cache. It's also best to do
          > this one on an early weekend morning. You'll see why. :)
          >

          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
          > <rhouston@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for a
          >> special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It also
          >> turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
          >> planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife going
          >> to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become more
          >> special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like to
          >> find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only occasionally
          >> involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my little
          >> milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown "date"
          >> cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
          >> and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
          >> great day together.
          >>
          >> Any suggestions?
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Ross/rhouston
          >>
          >> P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
          >> find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
          >> suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the day
          >> off would be welcome as well.

          Dominic J. Eidson / uthrom
          "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
          http://www.the-infinite.org/
        • Perrine, Julie
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

            Oh, and you asked for fun things to do.  Here are a few:

            Take a Segway tour.

            Ride the free Dillo buses.  You can stand out on the back “patio” and watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.

            Do a “Duck Tour”.

            Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go “underground” to the new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas.  It’s really beautiful.

            The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.  It’s pretty interesting!

            You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake .

            Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.

            Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.

            Tour through the new City Hall and see if there’s live music on the plaza that day.

            Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos .

            Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail

            Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.

            Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway.  Sounds weird, but it’s an amazing place!  And there are maybe 3 virtuals there.  10th and something.  I’m sure it’s on the map.  Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried there.

            That should get you started. J

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

              Wow!  I actually beat you to something….

              lol…

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                No way, Jose!  Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58 according to my email server!

                Read it and weep!

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                  DOH!  The vagaries of replying to Yahoo group email from outside of the group…. :-D

                  But I think we can agree on the cache for them to commemorate the date with…  J

                  Barry

                  aka Doc Geo

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                    But I saw Barry's first! <G>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                      That's funny, I was just eyeballing those Segway tours. A little
                      pricey but looks like loads of fun. We're going to Esther's Follies
                      later that night.

                      I think you've sold me on Let Me Count The Ways + Frank & Angie's.
                      That sounds like it adds up to "yum!". We'll be down there Friday the
                      14th. Fantastic suggestions all, thanks everybody! (And keep them
                      coming too!)

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
                      <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                      > Oh, and you asked for fun things to do. Here are a few:
                      >

                      > Take a Segway tour.
                      >
                      > Ride the free Dillo buses. You can stand out on the back "patio" and
                      > watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.
                      >
                      > Do a "Duck Tour".
                      >
                      > Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go "underground" to the
                      > new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas. It's really
                      > beautiful.
                      >

                      > The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.
                      > It's pretty interesting!
                      >
                      > You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake.
                      >
                      > Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.
                      >
                      > Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.
                      >
                      > Tour through the new City Hall and see if there's live music on the
                      > plaza that day.
                      >
                      > Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos.
                      >

                      > Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail
                      >
                      > Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.
                      >
                      > Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway. Sounds weird, but
                      > it's an amazing place! And there are maybe 3 virtuals there. 10th and
                      > something. I'm sure it's on the map. Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and
                      > just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried
                      > there.
                      >

                      > That should get you started. :-)
                      >

                      > Julie
                      >
                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Pam Tobias
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                        This may be a bit intense for the casual geocacher, but I recently had a day off and Jeff and I had an absolutely awesome day doing the multi called Accidental Tourist (GCDB3C) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d32545c5-110f-4c08-a68a-ce6190cbea88

                        Each leg is somewhere along the Lady Bird Lake Trail.  We rented mountain bikes at Bicycle Sport Shop and rode around the trail, picking up other caches along the way, but the ultimate goal was this one.  And to get the final, you need a kayak, which we rented from The Rowing Dock!  It was perfect weather, perfect company, and a fabulous day together that we will never forget.

                        Oh now I want another day off!
                        Pam/pblt

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                          Agreed!

[...]

                        • electric_water_boy
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                            Weird. It shows up here as Barry posting up at 2:58 and Julie
                            posting up at 3:00. And Barry's is on the list first. But I'm not
                            going to argue with anyone who has photon torpedos, phasers, and a
                            transporter at their disposal!

                            <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                            > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                            according to
                            > my email server!
                            >

                            > Read it and weep!
                            >

                            > Julie
                            >
                            > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                            Perrine,
                            > Julie
                            > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                            > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?
                            >

                            > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                            >

                            > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                            date
                            > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                            downtown. In
                            > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                            what
                            > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                            notes
                            > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                            >

                            > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                            replace
                            > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                            write
                            > your love note.
                            >

                            > Julie
                            >
                            > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • bcwatson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                              Agreed, and have you seen the Captain's wife in a Starfleet uniform?

                              No offense…   I'm just saying….

                              ;-)

                              <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                              > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                              according to
                              > my email server!
                              >

                              > Read it and weep!
                              >

                              > Julie
                              >
                              > Mrs. Captain Picard
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ __
                              >
                              > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                              Perrine ,
                              > Julie
                              > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                              > To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                              > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Special cache recommendation?
                              >

                              > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                              >

                              > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                              date
                              > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                              downtown. In
                              > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                              what
                              > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                              notes
                              > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                              >

                              > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                              replace
                              > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                              write
                              > your love note.
                              >

                              > Julie
                              >
                              > Mrs. Captain Picard
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ __
                              >
                              > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                              w:st="on">Austin has become more
                              > special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like
                              > find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                              occasionally
                              > involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                              little
                              > milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                              "date"
                              > cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
                              > and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
                              > great day together.
                              >
                              > Any suggestions?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Ross/rhouston
                              >
                              > P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
                              > find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                              > suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown
                              w:st="on">Austin if you had the day
                              > off would be welcome as well.

                            • Perrine, Julie
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53.  It’s still attached here.  Both you and I agree that Barry’s posted at 2:58.

                                The fact that Barb read Barry’s before mine just shows that she loves him more than she loves me, and I’ll have to carry that with me FOREVER.  LOL!

                                Now, don’t MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.

                                <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                                > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                according to
                                > my email server!
                                >

                                > Read it and weep!
                                >

                                > Julie
                                >
                                > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                >
                                > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                >
                                > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                              • electric_water_boy
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                  Yes Ma'am.

                                  Ensign Boy salutes and leaves to go to his room where he is scolded
                                  by his mother> She tells him to go to the holodeck, bring up the
                                  1865 One room schoolhouse program, go to the chalkboard, and then
                                  write 1,000 times:

                                  "If I want to attend the Academy I will not argue with the Captain's
                                  wife."

                                  <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                  > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                                  > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                                  >

                                  > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                                  loves
                                  > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                                  FOREVER.
                                  > LOL!
                                  >

                                  > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                                  >

                                  > Julie
                                  >
                                  > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                  Julie"
                                  > <julie.perrine@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                  > according to
                                  > > my email server!
                                  > >

                                  > > Read it and weep!
                                  > >

                                  > > Julie
                                  > >
                                  > > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  > >
                                  > > ________________________________
                                  > >
                                  > > From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>

                                • Perrine, Julie
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                    I like your attitude!  Keep up the good work.

                                    <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                                    > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                                    > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                                    >

                                    > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                                    loves
                                    > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                                    FOREVER.
                                    > LOL!
                                    >

                                    > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                                    >

                                    > Julie
                                    >
                                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                    >
                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                    >
                                    > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                                    w:st="on">Austin if you had the
                                    day

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      When downtown (for some value) we do enjoy catching whatever is at the
                                      IMAX (Bob Bullock History Museum)

                                      It was fun wandering around the capitol grounds, too....

                                      sez something about a Tygress and a Waterweasel.... just what, well, let
                                      that go =g=

                                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
                                      > > <rhouston@...> wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for
                                      > >> special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It
                                      > also
                                      > >> turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
                                      > >> planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife
                                      > going
                                      > >> to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become
                                      > more
                                      > >> special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd
                                      > like to
                                      > >> find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                                      > occasionally
                                      > >> involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                                      > little
                                      > >> milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                                      > "date"
                                      > >> cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th
                                      > find,
                                      > >> and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a
                                      > really
                                      > >> great day together.
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Any suggestions?
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Thanks,
                                      > >> Ross/rhouston
                                      > >>
                                      > >> P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this
                                      > cache
                                      > >> find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                                      > >> suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the
                                      > day
                                      > >> off would be welcome as well.
                                      > >>

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      > >

                                      > --
                                      > Dominic J. Eidson / uthrom
                                      > "Baruk Khazad! Khazad
                                      > ai-menu!" - Gimli

                                      It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                                      Guisewite
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                          I love how a simple request for a milestone cache near downtown turns into a big flame war!  Gotta love these passionate CenTex Geocachers...we can fight about ANYthing. ;)

                                          Kevin
                                          KoosKoos

                                          P.S. and no, I'm not digging through the Yahoo posting #'s to settle this childish dispute. :)

                                          On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                                          Whoa whoa WHOA!!!!
                                          Don't drag me into this date/time stamp thing.
                                          I use Juno, it always lists things backwards. I think it just likes to mock me.

                                          Now Russ may have posted a couple cents worth....

                                          Ah just said you oughter go see the IMAX, especially if it's that 3D Sea Monsters thingie.

                                          Barb (not counting not timing) Tygress

                                          <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                          > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                          according to
                                          > my email server!
                                          >

                                          > Read it and weep!
                                          >

                                          > Julie
                                          >
                                          > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                          >
                                          > ________________________________

                                          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                          It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                            flame?
                                            I see no flame.
                                            I see, MAYBE, enthusiastic hand waving....

                                            no harm in hand waving -- so long as you have your protective goggles....
                                            you DO have your protective goggles

                                          • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                              Hmmm...must be the water in the area.  I'm going to have to get a jug of barton springs water to dose my bosses coffee with, it can only improve his humour.

                                              the amish postman