Special cache recommendation?

  • rhouston0405
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
      OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for a
      special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It also
      turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
      planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife going
      to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become more
      special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like to
      find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only occasionally
      involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my little
      milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown "date"
      cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
      and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
      great day together.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Ross/rhouston

      P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
      find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
      suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the day
      off would be welcome as well.
    • uecker
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
        I'm not an Austinite but on our 19th wedding anniversary, my wife and I stopped at a little local riverwalk (ok so its a sidewalk by a creek) and we had a piece of chocolate cake and placed a cache. Called (what else?) 19.
        We ask that others who find it note a special number in their life. It has been fun because although she is not an avid cacher, she appreciates the logs and congratulations we get for this one.
        Perseid88
        Phil

        From: "rhouston0405" <rhouston@...>
        Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:46:27
        To:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Perrine, Julie
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

          Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!

          It’s called Let Me Count the Ways, and it’s at the site of my first date with an old boyfriend—Frank and Angie’s Italian Restaurant downtown.  In the log for the cache, you’re supposed to write who you love and what you love about them.  You could sit at the table and write love notes about each other while you eat!    GCGN7B

          If you will let me know when you’re going, I will go down and replace the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to write your love note.

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
            Terra's Treasure - GCHAHK. A great urban cache. It's also best to do
            this one on an early weekend morning. You'll see why. :)

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
            <rhouston@...> wrote:

            > OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for a
            > special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It also
            > turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
            > planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife going
            > to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become more
            > special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like to
            > find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only occasionally
            > involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my little
            > milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown "date"
            > cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
            > and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
            > great day together.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ross/rhouston
            >
            > P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
            > find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
            > suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the day
            > off would be welcome as well.

          • bcwatson
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

              What else could it possibly be but GCGN7B (Let Me Count The Ways…)?

              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGN7B

              Barry

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                I was actually shown this on a busy Sunday. I didn't log it, but I know to

                - d.

                > Terra's Treasure - GCHAHK. A great urban cache. It's also best to do
                > this one on an early weekend morning. You'll see why. :)
                >

                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
                > <rhouston@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for a
                >> special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It also
                >> turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
                >> planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife going
                >> to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become more
                >> special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like to
                >> find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only occasionally
                >> involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my little
                >> milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown "date"
                >> cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
                >> and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
                >> great day together.
                >>
                >> Any suggestions?
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >> Ross/rhouston
                >>
                >> P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
                >> find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                >> suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the day
                >> off would be welcome as well.

                Dominic J. Eidson / uthrom
                "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
                http://www.the-infinite.org/
              • Perrine, Julie
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                  Oh, and you asked for fun things to do.  Here are a few:

                  Take a Segway tour.

                  Ride the free Dillo buses.  You can stand out on the back “patio” and watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.

                  Do a “Duck Tour”.

                  Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go “underground” to the new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas.  It’s really beautiful.

                  The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.  It’s pretty interesting!

                  You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake .

                  Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.

                  Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.

                  Tour through the new City Hall and see if there’s live music on the plaza that day.

                  Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos .

                  Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail

                  Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.

                  Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway.  Sounds weird, but it’s an amazing place!  And there are maybe 3 virtuals there.  10th and something.  I’m sure it’s on the map.  Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried there.

                  That should get you started. J

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                    Wow!  I actually beat you to something….

                    lol…

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                      No way, Jose!  Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58 according to my email server!

                      Read it and weep!

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                        DOH!  The vagaries of replying to Yahoo group email from outside of the group…. :-D

                        But I think we can agree on the cache for them to commemorate the date with…  J

                        Barry

                        aka Doc Geo

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                          But I saw Barry's first! <G>

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                            That's funny, I was just eyeballing those Segway tours. A little
                            pricey but looks like loads of fun. We're going to Esther's Follies
                            later that night.

                            I think you've sold me on Let Me Count The Ways + Frank & Angie's.
                            That sounds like it adds up to "yum!". We'll be down there Friday the
                            14th. Fantastic suggestions all, thanks everybody! (And keep them
                            coming too!)

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
                            <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                            > Oh, and you asked for fun things to do. Here are a few:
                            >

                            > Take a Segway tour.
                            >
                            > Ride the free Dillo buses. You can stand out on the back "patio" and
                            > watch the city go by and wave to the pedestrians.
                            >
                            > Do a "Duck Tour".
                            >
                            > Stroll around the Capitol grounds and be sure to go "underground" to the
                            > new addition where you can see the upside-down rotundas. It's really
                            > beautiful.
                            >

                            > The building just east of the capitol is the general land office museum.
                            > It's pretty interesting!
                            >
                            > You can rent kayaks and paddle boats on Lady Bird Lake.
                            >
                            > Shop at the Whole Foods Flagship store.
                            >
                            > Pay a pedi-cab to haul you around.
                            >
                            > Tour through the new City Hall and see if there's live music on the
                            > plaza that day.
                            >
                            > Walk the Labyrinth in the courtyard of the big church on 8th and Brazos.
                            >

                            > Bicycle the Hike and Bike Trail
                            >
                            > Swim in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool.
                            >
                            > Tour the State Cemetary just east of the highway. Sounds weird, but
                            > it's an amazing place! And there are maybe 3 virtuals there. 10th and
                            > something. I'm sure it's on the map. Tom Landry, Barbara Jordon, and
                            > just about every Texas Hero a high school was ever named after is buried
                            > there.
                            >

                            > That should get you started. :-)
                            >

                            > Julie
                            >
                            > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Pam Tobias
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                              This may be a bit intense for the casual geocacher, but I recently had a day off and Jeff and I had an absolutely awesome day doing the multi called Accidental Tourist (GCDB3C) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d32545c5-110f-4c08-a68a-ce6190cbea88

                              Each leg is somewhere along the Lady Bird Lake Trail.  We rented mountain bikes at Bicycle Sport Shop and rode around the trail, picking up other caches along the way, but the ultimate goal was this one.  And to get the final, you need a kayak, which we rented from The Rowing Dock!  It was perfect weather, perfect company, and a fabulous day together that we will never forget.

                              Oh now I want another day off!
                              Pam/pblt

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                Agreed!

[...]

                              • electric_water_boy
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                  Weird. It shows up here as Barry posting up at 2:58 and Julie
                                  posting up at 3:00. And Barry's is on the list first. But I'm not
                                  going to argue with anyone who has photon torpedos, phasers, and a
                                  transporter at their disposal!

                                  <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                  > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                  according to
                                  > my email server!
                                  >

                                  > Read it and weep!
                                  >

                                  > Julie
                                  >
                                  > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                  Perrine,
                                  > Julie
                                  > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                                  > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Special cache recommendation?
                                  >

                                  > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                                  >

                                  > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                                  date
                                  > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                                  downtown. In
                                  > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                                  what
                                  > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                                  notes
                                  > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                                  >

                                  > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                                  replace
                                  > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                                  write
                                  > your love note.
                                  >

                                  > Julie
                                  >
                                  > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • bcwatson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                    Agreed, and have you seen the Captain's wife in a Starfleet uniform?

                                    No offense…   I'm just saying….

                                    ;-)

                                    <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                                    > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                    according to
                                    > my email server!
                                    >

                                    > Read it and weep!
                                    >

                                    > Julie
                                    >
                                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                    >
                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                    >
                                    > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                                    Perrine ,
                                    > Julie
                                    > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
                                    > To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                    > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Special cache recommendation?
                                    >

                                    > Oh gosh, I have the cache for you!
                                    >

                                    > It's called Let Me Count the Ways, and it's at the site of my first
                                    date
                                    > with an old boyfriend-Frank and Angie's Italian Restaurant
                                    downtown. In
                                    > the log for the cache, you're supposed to write who you love and
                                    what
                                    > you love about them. You could sit at the table and write love
                                    notes
                                    > about each other while you eat! GCGN7B
                                    >

                                    > If you will let me know when you're going, I will go down and
                                    replace
                                    > the container and make sure the log is nice and ready for you to
                                    write
                                    > your love note.
                                    >

                                    > Julie
                                    >
                                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                    >
                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                    >
                                    > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                                    w:st="on">Austin has become more
                                    > special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd like
                                    > find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                                    occasionally
                                    > involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                                    little
                                    > milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                                    "date"
                                    > cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th find,
                                    > and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a really
                                    > great day together.
                                    >
                                    > Any suggestions?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Ross/rhouston
                                    >
                                    > P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this cache
                                    > find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                                    > suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown
                                    w:st="on">Austin if you had the day
                                    > off would be welcome as well.

                                  • Perrine, Julie
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                      In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53.  It’s still attached here.  Both you and I agree that Barry’s posted at 2:58.

                                      The fact that Barb read Barry’s before mine just shows that she loves him more than she loves me, and I’ll have to carry that with me FOREVER.  LOL!

                                      Now, don’t MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.

                                      <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                                      > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                      according to
                                      > my email server!
                                      >

                                      > Read it and weep!
                                      >

                                      > Julie
                                      >
                                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                      >
                                      > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                      >
                                      > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                                    • electric_water_boy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        Yes Ma'am.

                                        Ensign Boy salutes and leaves to go to his room where he is scolded
                                        by his mother> She tells him to go to the holodeck, bring up the
                                        1865 One room schoolhouse program, go to the chalkboard, and then
                                        write 1,000 times:

                                        "If I want to attend the Academy I will not argue with the Captain's
                                        wife."

                                        <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                        > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                                        > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                                        >

                                        > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                                        loves
                                        > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                                        FOREVER.
                                        > LOL!
                                        >

                                        > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                                        >

                                        > Julie
                                        >
                                        > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                        >
                                        > ________________________________

                                        Julie"
                                        > <julie.perrine@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                        > according to
                                        > > my email server!
                                        > >

                                        > > Read it and weep!
                                        > >

                                        > > Julie
                                        > >
                                        > > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                        > >
                                        > > ________________________________
                                        > >
                                        > > From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                        > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      • Perrine, Julie
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008

                                          I like your attitude!  Keep up the good work.

                                          <julie.perrine@ ...> wrote:

                                          > In HIS OWN email string, my email was posted at 2:53. It's still
                                          > attached here. Both you and I agree that Barry's posted at 2:58.
                                          >

                                          > The fact that Barb read Barry's before mine just shows that she
                                          loves
                                          > him more than she loves me, and I'll have to carry that with me
                                          FOREVER.
                                          > LOL!
                                          >

                                          > Now, don't MAKE me come over there and disintegrate you.
                                          >

                                          > Julie
                                          >
                                          > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                          >
                                          > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                          >
                                          > From: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com

                                          w:st="on">Austin if you had the
                                          day

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                            When downtown (for some value) we do enjoy catching whatever is at the
                                            IMAX (Bob Bullock History Museum)

                                            It was fun wandering around the capitol grounds, too....

                                            sez something about a Tygress and a Waterweasel.... just what, well, let
                                            that go =g=

                                            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rhouston0405"
                                            > > <rhouston@...> wrote:
                                            > >>
                                            > >> OK, I need you guys help in choosing a downtown Austin cache for
                                            > >> special occasion. I'm coming up on my 100th cache find. It
                                            > also
                                            > >> turns out that my 5th wedding anniversary is coming up and I'm
                                            > >> planning to take the day off from work and spend it with my wife
                                            > going
                                            > >> to our favorite downtown places. Downtown Austin has become
                                            > more
                                            > >> special to us since we've moved out to an unnamed suburb. I'd
                                            > like to
                                            > >> find my 100th cache on this day with my wife. She's only
                                            > occasionally
                                            > >> involved in my caching exploits and I want to involve her in my
                                            > little
                                            > >> milestone. So I guess what I'm looking for is a good downtown
                                            > "date"
                                            > >> cache. Something I can look back on with a smile as my 100th
                                            > find,
                                            > >> and something my wife and I can both remember as part of a
                                            > really
                                            > >> great day together.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Any suggestions?
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Thanks,
                                            > >> Ross/rhouston
                                            > >>
                                            > >> P.S. I'm not looking to make multiple finds. I'm hoping this
                                            > cache
                                            > >> find is just part of a really fun day. Coincidentally any other
                                            > >> suggestions for stuff you'd do in downtown Austin if you had the
                                            > day
                                            > >> off would be welcome as well.
                                            > >>

                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                            > >

                                            > --
                                            > Dominic J. Eidson / uthrom
                                            > "Baruk Khazad! Khazad
                                            > ai-menu!" - Gimli

                                            It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                                            Guisewite
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                            • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                I love how a simple request for a milestone cache near downtown turns into a big flame war!  Gotta love these passionate CenTex Geocachers...we can fight about ANYthing. ;)

                                                Kevin
                                                KoosKoos

                                                P.S. and no, I'm not digging through the Yahoo posting #'s to settle this childish dispute. :)

                                                On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                                                Whoa whoa WHOA!!!!
                                                Don't drag me into this date/time stamp thing.
                                                I use Juno, it always lists things backwards. I think it just likes to mock me.

                                                Now Russ may have posted a couple cents worth....

                                                Ah just said you oughter go see the IMAX, especially if it's that 3D Sea Monsters thingie.

                                                Barb (not counting not timing) Tygress

                                                <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

                                                > No way, Jose! Mine posted at 2:53 and yours posted at 2:58
                                                according to
                                                > my email server!
                                                >

                                                > Read it and weep!
                                                >

                                                > Julie
                                                >
                                                > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                                >
                                                > ________________________________

                                                @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                  flame?
                                                  I see no flame.
                                                  I see, MAYBE, enthusiastic hand waving....

                                                  no harm in hand waving -- so long as you have your protective goggles....
                                                  you DO have your protective goggles

                                                • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                    Hmmm...must be the water in the area.  I'm going to have to get a jug of barton springs water to dose my bosses coffee with, it can only improve his humour.

                                                    the amish postman