Bad Experience

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
      I posted very nicely on the log, but I think I can share with the rest
      off yall that this guy really ticked me off and just about ruined my
      afternoon. The DNF didn't help either. But lunch at "Green Sauce" and
      the finding some caches afterwards got the guy out of my head.

      Castle Hills Micro GC19KE8
    • Mark E. Wallace
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy"
        <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

        > I posted very nicely on the log, but I think I can share with the rest
        > off yall that this guy really ticked me off and just about ruined my
        > afternoon. The DNF didn't help either. But lunch at "Green Sauce" and
        > the finding some caches afterwards got the guy out of my head.
        >
        > Castle Hills Micro GC19KE8

        IMHO, you should have just walked away once you knew he was the
        property manager and you had been asked to leave. Plus, you knew (or
        at least had reason to believe because of the hint) that you shouldn't
        have been on the east side in the first place.

        Did you really think he was going to give a rat's patooty about some
        website and the fact that you were going to post on it? I'm sorry, but
        get real.

        - Mark
        markewallace
      • Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
          Thanks for the heads up on the property manager.  Chris and Logan were planning on looking for this cache on Sunday after their big cub scout campout at Mcgimsey Scout park.  Maybe that's not such a good idea after all considering 2 dnf's and one peeved property manager.

          Penny
          cpnowak

          Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 10:12 PM
          Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Bad Experience

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
            To clarify:

            He didn't asked me to leave. He just told me to stay away from the
            other side of the fence.

            This is the additional hint copied from the website:
            "Its away good to stay on the right side of the fence."

            Can you tell from that whether it's the east or the west because I
            can't. And not everyone decrypts the additional hints. I know I
            don't always do it. Plus I've heard of many times where people
            showed up at caches when they weren't supposed to because they didn't
            read the cache description.

            It's easy in hindsight to say that this guy wasn't going to listen.
            But I was trying to let this guy know that others would be coming by
            and that I would try to get the cache desciption changed to let
            everyone know what side of the fence to stay on.

            Maybe it's the Rodney King "Can't we all get along?" in me that makes
            me try and then get depressed when I fail (all the while already
            knowing that we probably can't all get along, and maybe even
            shouldn't). I don't know. But after that event I was ready to just
            give up this geocaching stuff. I'm over that now, but I don't know
            that I'll be going back to that site to look again. At least not by
            myself.

            Every other time I've been caught has turned out well. Sometimes
            really interesting. This has been my only bad experience. Anyone
            else have war stories?
          • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
              This is one of the war stories concerning caching in the panhandle.  Read up on some of the logs associated with this particular cache in Pampa Tx.  It was quite an event.

              cache safe, but cache on!!!

              amishangel

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                Have to agree here.  Best thing would be to reassure him that you were not on that side (east) of the fence and that he didn't have anything to worry about from you.  Then you walk away...
                I have had a MUCH worse experience because someone placed one on private property and didn't think to find out if it was or not before placing it...

                Barry
                aka Doc Geo

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Had to redo the link.  This is what I have.

                  The cache GC number was GC12X9K
                  This tinyurl worked when I checked.  Probally will have to cut and paste this to find it.

                  http://tinyurl.com/3c5dpd

                  amishangel

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                    =sympathy=
                    (but it's a good log!)

                    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 03:18:08 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
                    <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
                    > I posted very nicely on the log, but I think I can share with the
                    > rest
                    > off yall that this guy really ticked me off and just about ruined my
                    >
                    > afternoon. The DNF didn't help either. But lunch at "Green Sauce"
                    > and
                    > the finding some caches afterwards got the guy out of my head.
                    >
                    > Castle Hills Micro GC19KE8

                    It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                    Guisewite
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                      Yeah, except for the Tush Brothers' high speed chase through the Texas night, yours took the cake today. [That pan handle police officer gets one right up there, though.]

                      That said, we've fortunately had nothing but good relations with the muggles who discover us -- whether we explain the sport or supply a cover story. But then, I can get Customs officers to chuckle, too.... so may be one of those weir-- er... spectacularly screwball individuals. Or, my time is coming. [May I stay firmly with option #1, Mr. Cosmic Game Show Host? Thank you.]

                      One bad incident can spoil a whole lotta caching, though. And that's a shame.

                      As Amish Angel said: Cache Safe, Cache On....
                      And Be happy, Mon

                      Barb/Tygress

                      On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:27:45 -0600 "Barry Watson" <bcwatson@...> writes:
                      Have to agree here.  Best thing would be to reassure him that you were not on that side (east) of the fence and that he didn't have anything to worry about from you.  Then you walk away...
                      I have had a MUCH worse experience because someone placed one on private property and didn't think to find out if it was or not before placing it...

                      Barry
                      aka Doc Geo

                      > I posted very nicely on the log, but I think I can share with the rest
                      > off yall that this guy really ticked me off and just about ruined my
                      > afternoon. The DNF didn't help either. But lunch at "Green Sauce" and
                      > the finding some caches afterwards got the guy out of my head.
                      >
                      > Castle Hills Micro GC19KE8

                      IMHO, you should have just walked away once you knew he was the
                      property manager and you had been asked to leave. Plus, you knew (or
                      at least had reason to believe because of the hint) that you shouldn't
                      have been on the east side in the first place.

                      Did you really think he was going to give a rat's patooty about some
                      website and the fact that you were going to post on it? I'm sorry, but
                      get real.

                      - Mark
                      markewallace

                      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                      It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite
                    • Randell Pitts
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008

                        Barry,

                        I'm sorry you had that experience.  I only wish I had know about it back then, I might have been able to help.  I'm an officer in Granger (since '01) and know everyone around the area.  I think you actually encountered someone from the area that is going around impersonating an officer.  Also, the Bartlett officer you met up with (do you remember his name?) is long gone.  Bartlett has cleaned the police station at least twice since then, and having just recently met the new chief, I think the climate is a little friendlier.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008

                          The cop there in Bartlett told me the guy I had a run in with was having some chemical that druggies use for making meth stolen from him and he thought we were there either trying to steal the chemical or make some meth or something...  but definitely a shoot first mentality...

                          I know about the shake up, but not sure if that one cop was still there....

                          Number of years since then...  water under the bridge...

                          Barry