Re: Dead Dog

  • eoghan01
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
      OK, very bad experience.
      BUT...
      I noticed that PrincessButtercup has only found 7 caches and if I
      remember correctly, there's a lot of tree cover out there on the
      hillside which is now covered with new springtime satelite blocking
      leaves. She might have been anywhere within a few hundred feet of the
      actual cache. It's probably still there. It's also probable that the
      dead dog in a bag has absolutley nothing to do with geocaching or
      geocachers. If I found something like that while mountain biking I
      wouldn't assume that there was some sick twisted single track rider
      responsible. I really doubt it has anything to do with geocaching
      other than unfortunate coincidence. Too bad an unusual experience
      scared her away. And even worse for the rest of us that she chose to
      tie it to geocaching when she "notified the authorities". This is NOT
      the kind of press we need. Hopefully whoever she talked to will
      realize that.

      But then again perhaps it was really just an ROUS that Wesley hadn't
      gotten around to disposing of yet.

      -Eoghan

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "dmcgauley" <hawkeye@c...> wrote:
      > Is there anyone who lives near my St. Edwards cache in NW Austin?
      > PrincessButtercup logged this today:
      >
      > "DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE!!!!!! It is NOT THERE ANYMORE but,
      there
      > is a BODYBAG with A dead dog in it, we have notified the
      authorities
      > and i am retiring from geocaching thanks to this weirdo/sicko out
      > there...I REPEAT, DO NOT GO THERE AND NEVER GO ANYWHERE
      > ALONE/UNARMED!!!!!!"
      >
      > VERY disturbing. I'm going to try to go by there sometime
      tomorrow,
      > but if this is accurate, it sure sounds like there some scary
      > directions this sport might be heading. I've always been scared of
      > booby-traps in caches just because I know eventually somebody is
      > going to want to ruin this sport.
      >
      > -Daniel
    • jnbarth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
        I have to agree that there is a lot simpler explanation than a plot
        to freak out a geocacher.

        My bet is that a grieving dog owner decided to bury his beloved pet
        in the dog's favorite play area. He probably selected an area out of
        view of any paths and made a grave of a mound of rocks. He probably
        took great care to make sure the grave was not only well off the
        beaten path, but also well hidden. He would probably be just as
        upset as PrincessButtercup if he were to discover that someone
        playing a technogeek version of hide and seek had desicrated his dogs
        gave!

        I've been to this cache. The area above the cache fits the criteria
        perfectly. I approached this cache from above and my readings
        indicated I was close before the drop off, so if I'd spotted a
        carefully hidden URP up there, I'd have probably investigated it too.

        It's regreatable that she was so badly freightened, but lets keep an
        open mind and not blow this all out of proportion by assuming evil
        intent.
      • web_ling
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
          (Web-ling coming out of "Lurk Mode")

          And I thought I had weird stuff happen to my caches! (one washed
          away in a flood, another had a chain-link fence erected around it...)

          Glad Fido wasn't there when I visited the cache in February with my 3
          and 5 year olds. And my squeemish wife.

          Rich Wendling
          aka Web-ling