Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Geocoins

  • M.Schreffler
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 1, 2008
      That helped. Thanks!

      --- Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      Hmm, loosely, a geocoin is a commorative coin
      involving geocaching. A trackable geocoin has a
      unique number assigned to it by Geocaching.com (and
      individually printed/pressed into the coin) and is
      entered into their data base so that it can be tracked
      in the same fashion as a travel bug. Essentially, a
      trackable geocoin is a self contained travel bug.
      There are a couple of other sites that will tack
      specific geocoins but most of us regard the
      Geocaching.com site as the important one.

      A non-trackable geocoin is pretty and is essentially
      high class swag.

      There. Clear as mud or did I confuse the issue even
      further?

      Russ the waterweasel

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 17, 2009

        Well, as far as a 'coin stash' goes, the coin has to be activated to get into the system.  So, if you want it to be online and in a situation where someone else can discover it, you have to activate it.

        For a pure personal collection, I guess it is irrelevant if it is activated or not . . .

        Russ the waterweasel