Re-radiating antenna for Etrex KICKS BUTT!

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      I put out a plea on TXGA for assistance in building something I'd seen on a gps newsgroup; it's called a re-radiating antenna. It's basically a kluge for an external antenna, when your GPS doesn't have a plug for one. To give you an idea what this entails, you purchase an external antenna (I got one on ebay for $20 including shipping), then you build (or have someone build) a little box that takes the big signal from the external antenna, feeds it through a little powered circuit, and radiates it through a little loop of wire. This wire is positioned so that you can place it directly over the internal antenna on your GPSr, causing the GPS to suck up the external antenna signal. That's a re-radiating antenna -- I'll call it RRA from here on.

      Jim Barth (Moore9KSUCats) told me he would build me one; he even went so far as to supply all the parts, although I offered to pay him! He wanted to do it for the fun, and to see how well it would work. This funky little black box with a wierd little loop of wire coming out of it TOTALLY KICKS ASS!!!! After one false start, where the epoxy holding the BNC connector wasn't holding so the connection was bad, he did some serious re-glueing while his son Nick and I went and washed the cachemobile. Second run, when Jim used it inside the house with his old GPS12, it more than quadrupled the signal the GPS was getting! And to make sure it wasn't getting sats through the windows, he put the GPS and the RRA inside a large tin can. TOO COOL.

      Now, off to test it in the car. MUY IMPRESSIVO! I had the GPSr sitting on my passenger seat, where it would normally get next to nothing, and with the RRA on, it was getting STRONG signals with differential (WAAS) on 8 birds, with 8 to 10 foot accuracy! WOOHOO! I LIKE this thing! :-DD

      I can hardly wait to test this thing out in the pine forests of the Northeast!!!! :-) You'll hear a full report when we get home.

      Candy Lind    candylind@...
      I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
      Geocaching worldwide:
      http://www.geocaching.com     in Texas:  http://www.txga.net
      in the Austin area:

    • DougsBrat
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
        <candylind@e...> wrote:
        > I put out a plea on TXGA for assistance in building something I'd
        seen on a gps newsgroup; it's called a re-radiating antenna.

        I have seen several plans on different websites for building these.
        Most plans use a 12v car plug to power the box, one even used 1 AA
        battery.
        That was what I needed for my Vista, so I got a External antenna from
        GPSGeek on ebay for $20 or so (magnet base & MCX connector so it
        would work on my emap too) and planned to make the box too.
        I still have not found a local source for the MCX connectors for the
        box, but I did find a source to buy the device already built with and
        without the antenna.
        http://pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

        > ...when Jim used it inside the house with his old GPS12, it more
        than quadrupled the signal the GPS was getting! And to make sure it
        wasn't getting sats through the windows, he put the GPS and the RRA
        inside a large tin can. TOO COOL.

        I attached my external antenna on the roof of the van and to the emap
        and I usually get all 12 sats with full signals!!! wow

        When the antenna is not on a large metal surface (ground plane) the
        signal is better than normal but not by much.

        DougsBrat
      • Mark Gessner
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
          I sell stick-on signal boosters similar to those sold for mobile
          phones. As you "techie types" may know, the expensive digital
          cellphones these days use CDMA technology, which is the exact same
          technology used by the GPS system to eliminate multipath fading. So
          for $19.95 plus shipping and handling, you may experience a full
          12-satellite lock plus augmented WAAS anywhere you go, even indoors,
          and the most amazing thing is that it *never* needs batteries. This
          little stick-on antenna booster uses proven RF technology to literally
          "pull signals right out of the air!" Amazing. But that's not all...
          By stacking two of these stick-on signal boosters on top of each other
          my little eTrex can get a lock on 24 satellites simultaneously!* This
          does tend to drain the batteries a bit but...

          ...I also know where you can get a little packet of spurious lithium
          dust you can sprinkle on your dying NiMH or Alkaline batteries, to
          boost them with the full power of lithium for a fraction of the price
          of new cells. To get the full "recharge" effect from the lithium dust,
          it helps if you get a little on your hands and sniff them vigorously
          and frequently during the recharge process...

          -mark
          aka "lowracer"

          :-)

          *Your mileage may vary. 24-satellite lock result not typical. Signal
          boost not available in all areas due to orbital conditions. Void where
          prohibited or taxed by local law. Spurious lithium dust not legal for
          use in most states and foreign countries, not for sale to minors.
        • The Diver
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
            Mark,

            I didn't know you sold those. If I'd known, I would have bought mine
            from you. It's great! I have no problems picking up as signal with my
            cellphone. Do you have a product catalog of other items you sell?

            Alan

            Mark Gessner wrote:

            >I sell stick-on signal boosters similar to those sold for mobile
            >phones. As you "techie types" may know, the expensive digital
            >cellphones these days use CDMA technology, which is the exact same
            >technology used by the GPS system to eliminate multipath fading. So
            >for $19.95 plus shipping and handling, you may experience a full
            >12-satellite lock plus augmented WAAS anywhere you go, even indoors,
            >and the most amazing thing is that it *never* needs batteries. This
            >little stick-on antenna booster uses proven RF technology to literally
            >"pull signals right out of the air!" Amazing. But that's not all...
            >By stacking two of these stick-on signal boosters on top of each other
            >my little eTrex can get a lock on 24 satellites simultaneously!* This
            >does tend to drain the batteries a bit but...
            >
            >...I also know where you can get a little packet of spurious lithium
            >dust you can sprinkle on your dying NiMH or Alkaline batteries, to
            >boost them with the full power of lithium for a fraction of the price
            >of new cells. To get the full "recharge" effect from the lithium dust,
            >it helps if you get a little on your hands and sniff them vigorously
            >and frequently during the recharge process...
            >

            >-mark
            >aka "lowracer"
            >
            >:-)

          • Lowracer
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
              Thanks to those of you who sent inquiries and paypal payments for my miracle
              stick-on GPS antenna booster and magic lithium dust. Unfortunately this was
              intended to be a joke, there is no such miracle GPS antenna booster nor magical
              lithium dust, though often we wish there was...

              -mark.
            • Triple
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                where can I find the plans?

                Master Herdsman

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                  Mark, are you sure that You're the Aggie? Reason I ask is Aggies are
                  the ones who usually fall something like this, not the ones who
                  perpetuate it. :)

                  Kevin

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
                  <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                  > Thanks to those of you who sent inquiries and paypal payments for my
                  miracle
                  > stick-on GPS antenna booster and magic lithium dust. Unfortunately
                  this was
                  > intended to be a joke, there is no such miracle GPS antenna booster
                  nor magical
                  > lithium dust, though often we wish there was...
                  >
                  > -mark.
                • BlazerMan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                    Plans link from the TXGA discussion: