Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] ANOTHER CACHER NEEDS MAINTENANCE!

  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
      Awful news!!!  Having been with Howard and Paul on Friday as they discussed what could be involved with that one, I'm extra sorry to hear about SQ's injury.  Here's hoping he's back up soon...and here he was building his cache every day stat too. :(

      Kevin
      KoosKoos

      On Jan 6, 2008 4:03 PM, Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...> wrote:

      Hang in there, Howard!

      Russ the waterweasel

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
        UPDATE: Howard had to wait quite a while in the ER for swelling to go down. Mr. & Mrs. HiDude went to visit for a bit & took him & Julie some food. I talked to Julie just a few minutes ago, & they were just getting ready to head to the ER ... she'll call & let me know when he's out & give me his room number. I'll pass it on, of course.

        Happy Trails,
        Candy

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind" <candylind@...> wrote:

        > OK, we have another story to develop and tell. It has to do with bad
        > fortune that has befallen our friend Semper Questio ...
      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
          Forgot one other thing, & that is that Howard will be in a wheelchair for 4 to 6 weeks! Start looking for good places for wheelchair-friendly caches ...

          Candy
          moosiegirl

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
            eggsactly!

            [Hey, humor is all we have -- obviously we need to do a Semper OW! or
            Semper Gimp series.... just like we did for BobChernow]

            On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:58:32 -0000 "Jack Glantzberg"
            <hglantzberg@...> writes:
            > Here's to hoping the King's men can put him back together!
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
            > <candylind@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > OK, we have another story to develop and tell. It has to do with
            > bad
            > > fortune that has befallen our friend Semper Questio.
            > >
            > > Howard was attempting "Humpty Dumpty," a new cache with a 4-star
            > terrain
            > > rating in Round Rock. He was climbing a 16-20 foot wall, fell and
            > broke
            > > both ankles!
            > >
            > > [:-&&] [:(] [:((] OWWWTTTCCCCCHHHHHH! [:((] [:(] [:-&&]
            > > would be an understatement!
            > >
            > > I'm certain we all send our best wishes and caring concern to
            > Howard and
            > > Julie, along with hopes for a speedy recovery.
            > >
            > > BTW, Cooksters archived the cache shortly after Paul (HiDude)
            > contacted
            > > them.
            > >
            > > When we know more about Howard's condition and possible hospital
            > stay,
            > > we'll let you know!
            > >
            > > Happy Trails,
            > > Candy
            > > moosiegirl

            It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
            Guisewite
          • Maria "theJump"
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
              Wow ... boy oh boy ... I looked at that cache when it was published.  I'm SO SORRY that someone got hurt.  I hope he heals fast!!
              -Maria

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                thanks, Candy....

                He's down at St. Davids, is he?
                [Getting WAY too familiar with that hospital]

                On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 01:11:11 -0000 "Candy Lind" <candylind@...>
                writes:
                > UPDATE: Howard had to wait quite a while in the ER for swelling to go
                > down. Mr. & Mrs. HiDude went to visit for a bit & took him & Julie
                > some food. I talked to Julie just a few minutes ago, & they were
                > just getting ready to head to the ER ... she'll call & let me know
                > when he's out & give me his room number. I'll pass it on, of
                > course.
                >
                > Happy Trails,
                > Candy
                >

                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
                > <candylind@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > OK, we have another story to develop and tell. It has to do with
                > bad
                > > fortune that has befallen our friend Semper Questio ...

                It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                Guisewite
              • Pam Tobias
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                  Oh my!!  How terrible!  I hope he's ok!  I haven't met him in person, but I've seen him in pictures and met many of you who do know him, so I almost feel like I know him too!  I certainly feel for him and his wife.  Speedy Healing, Semper Questio!!!!

                  Pam (pblt)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                    Another update on Howard: as of 9:20 Sunday evening, he was still in
                    surgery. Julie called me to let me know. He'll be in surgery probably
                    another 30 minutes, then he'll be in recovery a while before they are
                    assigned a room.

                    I will call in the morning and get his room number, and let everyone
                    know the visiting hours and other details.

                    Round Rock.

                    Happy Trails,
                    Candy
                    moosiegirl
                  • A Allen (SEMIK)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                      Oh, man. SO VERY SORRY to hear about this. We feel terrible on SQs
                      behalf and hope he can get past the pain and healing quickly. I knew
                      we'd have to hear a story like this sooner or later and it breaks my
                      heart to hear that it happened.

                      It sounds like Paul was with him?? I sure hope Howard wasn't alone.
                      Our best wishes to GET WELL SOON to SQ! We're gearing up for the
                      Semper OW! series since we live not so very far away.

                      Hang in there, Howard!!!

                      Audra and Matthew
                      semik and mda_taz

                      <candylind@...> wrote:

                      > OK, we have another story to develop and tell. It has to do with bad
                      > fortune that has befallen our friend Semper Questio.
                      >
                      > Howard was attempting "Humpty Dumpty," a new cache with a 4-star
                      terrain
                      > rating in Round Rock. He was climbing a 16-20 foot wall, fell and
                      broke
                      > both ankles!
                      >
                      > [:-&] [:(] [:((] OWWWTTTCCCCCHHHHHH! [:((] [:(] [:-&]
                      > would be an understatement!
                      >
                      > I'm certain we all send our best wishes and caring concern to
                      Howard and
                      > Julie, along with hopes for a speedy recovery.
                      >
                      > BTW, Cooksters archived the cache shortly after Paul (HiDude)
                      contacted
                      > them.
                      >
                      > When we know more about Howard's condition and possible hospital
                      stay,
                      > we'll let you know!
                      >
                      > Happy Trails,
                      > Candy
                      > moosiegirl

                    • Julie Perrine
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                        Speedy Recovery, Howard!

                        Wayne, Candy, Trey and I actually logged this cache right before Howard must have gotten there, so we were real familiar with the area.  When we got the call from Paul about Howard, the immediate reaction was to see if we could get the cache archived.

                        But I have to admit that I don't believe it should be archived.  I'd like to know everyone's opinions.

                        Here's mine.  As long as caches are properly labeled for terrain, cachers search at their own risk.  In this case, the cache was properly rated.  Each of us has to assess our skills and the risk and make the appropriate decisions.   That's no different than looking both ways to cross the parking lot for a skirt lifter.  This is no different that women not going into dangerous areas at night alone.  We should be aware of the risks every time we go out and either accept the risk, return later with equipment or a team, or decide to forego the cache.

                        Some of my most memorable adventures have been when I exceed my known physical capabilities and accomplished amazing things.  I wouldn't trade those for anything.  There are a few times where I went places I knew I shouldn't be, and I regretted not making better decisions (in hindsight).

                        No FTF or smiley is worth serious injury or death.  But life without risk is not living.  I say, as long as the hider warned me and I accepted the risk, it's a fair cache.

                        What do you all think?  There is no right or wrong answer, just opinions.

                        On 1/6/08, Candy Lind <candylind@...> wrote:

                        Another update on Howard: as of 9:20 Sunday evening, he was still in
                        surgery. Julie called me to let me know. He'll be in surgery probably
                        another 30 minutes, then he'll be in recovery a while before they are
                        assigned a room.

                        I will call in the morning and get his room number, and let everyone
                        know the visiting hours and other details.

                        Round Rock.

                        Happy Trails,
                        Candy
                        moosiegirl

                      • Russ Johnson

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                            Well, without having seen this cache, I will say that some places shouldn't have caches.
                            That said, others are ok as category 4 (or even 5 in the description), and caveat emptor so long as the warnings are posted.

                            Of course, I could snap an ankle going across a parking lot ... climbing things I'm MUCH safer!!!

                            However, BOTH ankles are twinging in misery for poor Howard.

                            The cache owner must decide in the end, of course.

                            On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:09:36 -0600 "Julie Perrine" <mrscaptainpicard@...> writes:
[...]

                            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                            It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                              Bless his heart....
                              keep us posted.

                              (What's his last name? I don't think reception will have him as Semper
                              Questio...)

                              On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:30:00 -0000 "Candy Lind" <candylind@...>
                              writes:
                              > Another update on Howard: as of 9:20 Sunday evening, he was still in
                              > surgery. Julie called me to let me know. He'll be in surgery
                              > probably
                              > another 30 minutes, then he'll be in recovery a while before they
                              > are
                              > assigned a room.
                              >
                              > I will call in the morning and get his room number, and let
                              > everyone
                              > know the visiting hours and other details.

                              > Round Rock.
                              >
                              > Happy Trails,
                              > Candy
                              > moosiegirl

                              It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy
                              Guisewite
                            • electric_water_boy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

[...]

                                Julie
                                Mrs. Captain Picard"

                                I don't know a thing about this particular cache, but I agree with
                                all that Julie said. That being said, don't anyone get any wild
                                ideas of placing a geo near a drug users house or a Mexican prision
                                yard, or .... Some places just aren't worth it to go.

                                Then again, Cybercat has me ready to go into a ladies restroom in a
                                public park that gets patrolled quite often. Hope you all are real
                                friends when it comes time to bail me out - literally!
                              • Patricia Rabel
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                  Dude All you have to do is wear a shirt with your name (a.k.a. bubba) on it and put some yellow caution  tape across the opening and act like your fixing something. No one will enter and no one will think twice about maintenance fix something. It worked for me. Sometime you have to think like a fox when dealing with a cybercat cache in McAllaster Park