Moving trackables...

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

      I thought I was so lucky...
      I released a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy geocoin and in it's plastic sleeve, put a note that its mission was to travel to the author's birthplace, Cambridge, England.  The very first person to pick it up (from a cache near Houston), took by plane to MA!  It has floated around local caches up there for a few months.  Now a person is taking it to MI!  So far out of its way!  That's why I put a note in its sleeve so people would know without having to go to the internet first whether they should leave it or if they could help with its mission.  Even if the note is no longer readable, common sense should be if you don't know what a trackable item's mission is, you shouldn't move it lest you unknowingly work against its mission.
      GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR........
      Sorry had to vent...  It went almost half way to it's destination in one day and then in totally opposite direction today...  for no good reason...

      Please folks, if you don't know, just let them sit...  but preferably, check the mission of trackables that are supposed to be in the caches you are looking for before visiting them.  And hiders, somehow please attach the mission of your trackable item to the item in some weatherproof way....

      Okay, done venting...  headed for bed...

      and yes, it is my first trackable item, so I might be a little sentimental about this one...

      Barry
      aka Doc Geo

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        I feel for you, but, well, once you release them, you have to be patient that they'll go whatever way they go (and, well, anywhere in the US near a big airport is 'closer' to Cambridge -- you never know).
        The thing to be grateful for is that they keep moving. (After all, you're not in a race, are you?)

        [Yes, I agree, attaching the mission to the bug is a plus.... expecting people not to move it when there's no mission isn't right, we would have missed the Cool Head Luke for the Operation Hurricachers if I played by that rule, when it turned out that my hands were an almost perfect place for it yesterday. Remember, 90% of the TBs out there have no mission BUT to move....]

        On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:42:21 -0800 (PST) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:
[...]

        It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite
      • Julie Perrine
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          Ok, Barry, take a nice, deeeeeeeep breath!

          If you just wanted your coin to get to Cambridge fast, you should have mailed it!  I assume you made it a travel bug so you could see who picked it up and where it went and what adventures it had on its round about way to it's destination.  Now just relaaaaaaaaaax and let it happen.  At least it's still in circulation!

          Don't worry, be happy.....

          On 1/1/08, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Scott Leake
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hey Doc!

            I agree with Julie....I release coins all the time, and hope they at
            least they stay out there a while! Coins are prone to go missing,from
            folks that just take them as swag items. If yours is moving,that is a
            good thing! Sooner or later it will get to its'goal. The fun is
            watching the adventures along the journey and the miles they stack up!

            Scott
          • Doc
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
              hhmm.... "...mailed it."...hhmmm....  nah....
              yeah, I wanted to see what adventures it would have... as it traveled to it's destination!
              Well, at least... if it ever gets there, the trip will be even more of an adventure....

              Received a nice explanatory note from the person.
              He picked it up with the intention of putting it a nearby TB Hotel near an airport.
              Couldn't find it.  Had to make his flight back to MI with no time to put it back or in another nearby cache....    oh well, life just doesn't work out sometimes...
              I'm sad still for my "child" I sent out into the geocaching wilderness, but I guess you just have to hope things will work out for the best...
              And yes, I'm glad that it hasn't been added to a "collection" yet...
              Barry