Discovering a Cache

  • Maria "theJump"
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
      I'm told that I should share the story of my find #446 ...

      After a day of caching through Stillhouse Hollow ... DH and I headed home.  DH wasn't feeling great but agreed to hit a couple of caches on the way home.  I found a group of 3 that were "just off the road" ... and so we stopped.  Quickly we went into the woods we found there.  Quickly we found "What's Cooking" (GCZ3B8) and made our way over to "Along the Lake" (GCRP3N) ... I was surprised but then we headed to "Where's the Bridge" (GCZ3AQ) ... this was an adventure.  This entire area had been underwater at some point and the amount of flood debris in the area was staggering.  We BUSHWACKED for 0.25 miles ... argh ... but we found the cache.  As we bushwacked back (of course the car was in a different direction from where we had come, we found the really fun find of the day ...

      At N31 00.545 W97 38.524, I looked down and there laying on the ground I found a camo'd pill container.  I picked it up and opened it ... inside there was a log ... and water, lots of water ... well ... since there wasn't any other caches in this general area I slipped it into my pocket and brought it home.  Having spent the evening drying out, I managed to unroll the log and decipher parts of it ... it took some sleuth work but thanks to being able to read the FTF and the first page of logs dating back to MAY 2005, I identified the little guy ... it was "Roller Coaster anyone" (GCP0TV) ... this little cache had been on an adventure of its own because I found it 15.7 MILES (as the crow flies) from where it was supposed to be ...

      Did I log it?  Of course ;-D

      And that is the story of my favorite find of the day!
    • A Allen (SEMIK)
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
        Now *that's* worthy of braggin' rights: "I once found a cache with
        the coordinates 15.7 miles off" hee, hee Brilliant find! Brilliant
        find!

        Audra/semik

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria \"theJump\""

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
          LOL!!!
          Rock on!!!

          On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:58:51 -0600 "Maria \"theJump\"" <thejump@...> writes:
[...]

          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
          It isn't a lack of willpower, it's an abundance of momentum. --Cathy Guisewite
        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
            I had similar circumstances with Brazo Del Pasayo (or whatever its
            name was; the now-archived micro in the Onion Creek Greenbelt), It
            sure wasnt 15 miles though!

            Awesome story ...

            On 12/27/07, Maria theJump <thejump@...> wrote:

            > I'm told that I should share the story of my find #446 ...
            >
            > After a day of caching through Stillhouse Hollow ... DH and I headed home. DH wasn't feeling great but agreed to hit a couple of caches on the way home. I found a group of 3 that were "just off the road" ... and so we stopped. Quickly we went into the woods we found there. Quickly we found "What's Cooking" (GCZ3B8) and made our way over to "Along the Lake" (GCRP3N) ... I was surprised but then we headed to "Where's the Bridge" (GCZ3AQ) ... this was an adventure. This entire area had been underwater at some point and the amount of flood debris in the area was staggering. We BUSHWACKED for 0.25 miles ... argh ... but we found the cache. As we bushwacked back (of course the car was in a different direction from where we had come, we found the really fun find of the day ...
            >
            > At N31 00.545 W97 38.524, I looked down and there laying on the ground I found a camo'd pill container. I picked it up and opened it ... inside there was a log ... and water, lots of water ... well ... since there wasn't any other caches in this general area I slipped it into my pocket and brought it home. Having spent the evening drying out, I managed to unroll the log and decipher parts of it ... it took some sleuth work but thanks to being able to read the FTF and the first page of logs dating back to MAY 2005, I identified the little guy ... it was "Roller Coaster anyone" (GCP0TV) ... this little cache had been on an adventure of its own because I found it 15.7 MILES (as the crow flies) from where it was supposed to be ...
            >
            > Did I log it? Of course ;-D
            >
            > And that is the story of my favorite find of the day!

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
              That is so cool! They should print this story next to the definition
              of serendipity!

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                Hairy, Man actually washed out into the street and was carried 30 miles
                north to Georgetown. First time, the loggers said, a cache has come to
                them!
                I need to think of a way to secure it and get it back out there.
                *sigh*

              • Doc

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                    AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

                    I thought I was so lucky...
                    I released a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy geocoin and in it's plastic sleeve, put a note that its mission was to travel to the author's birthplace, Cambridge, England.  The very first person to pick it up (from a cache near Houston), took by plane to MA!  It has floated around local caches up there for a few months.  Now a person is taking it to MI!  So far out of its way!  That's why I put a note in its sleeve so people would know without having to go to the internet first whether they should leave it or if they could help with its mission.  Even if the note is no longer readable, common sense should be if you don't know what a trackable item's mission is, you shouldn't move it lest you unknowingly work against its mission.
                    GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR........
                    Sorry had to vent...  It went almost half way to it's destination in one day and then in totally opposite direction today...  for no good reason...

                    Please folks, if you don't know, just let them sit...  but preferably, check the mission of trackables that are supposed to be in the caches you are looking for before visiting them.  And hiders, somehow please attach the mission of your trackable item to the item in some weatherproof way....

                    Okay, done venting...  headed for bed...

                    and yes, it is my first trackable item, so I might be a little sentimental about this one...

                    Barry
                    aka Doc Geo

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                      I feel for you, but, well, once you release them, you have to be patient that they'll go whatever way they go (and, well, anywhere in the US near a big airport is 'closer' to Cambridge -- you never know).
                      The thing to be grateful for is that they keep moving. (After all, you're not in a race, are you?)

                      [Yes, I agree, attaching the mission to the bug is a plus.... expecting people not to move it when there's no mission isn't right, we would have missed the Cool Head Luke for the Operation Hurricachers if I played by that rule, when it turned out that my hands were an almost perfect place for it yesterday. Remember, 90% of the TBs out there have no mission BUT to move....]

                      On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:42:21 -0800 (PST) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:
[...]

                    • Julie Perrine
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Ok, Barry, take a nice, deeeeeeeep breath!

                        If you just wanted your coin to get to Cambridge fast, you should have mailed it!  I assume you made it a travel bug so you could see who picked it up and where it went and what adventures it had on its round about way to it's destination.  Now just relaaaaaaaaaax and let it happen.  At least it's still in circulation!

                        Don't worry, be happy.....

                        On 1/1/08, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Scott Leake
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                          Hey Doc!

                          I agree with Julie....I release coins all the time, and hope they at
                          least they stay out there a while! Coins are prone to go missing,from
                          folks that just take them as swag items. If yours is moving,that is a
                          good thing! Sooner or later it will get to its'goal. The fun is
                          watching the adventures along the journey and the miles they stack up!

                          Scott
                        • Doc
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                            hhmm.... "...mailed it."...hhmmm....  nah....
                            yeah, I wanted to see what adventures it would have... as it traveled to it's destination!
                            Well, at least... if it ever gets there, the trip will be even more of an adventure....

                            Received a nice explanatory note from the person.
                            He picked it up with the intention of putting it a nearby TB Hotel near an airport.
                            Couldn't find it.  Had to make his flight back to MI with no time to put it back or in another nearby cache....    oh well, life just doesn't work out sometimes...
                            I'm sad still for my "child" I sent out into the geocaching wilderness, but I guess you just have to hope things will work out for the best...
                            And yes, I'm glad that it hasn't been added to a "collection" yet...
                            Barry