Which Mount Should I Buy?

  • Bruce Burns
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
      I need to get a GPSmap 60CSx mount for my Jeep Cherokee. I found there
      are two types: one that seems to stick to the windshield and is
      stationary and one that mounts to the dashboard and swivels. Does
      anyone here have any experience with these mounts? I need to figure
      out which one would be best for my vehicle.

      Thanks,
      Brucacuda
    • Michelle Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007

        I can’t speak for the dashboard style mount but my windshield mount keeps falling off spontaneously.  If I kept the windshield and suction cup a little cleaner it would probably help but I’m lazy…

        mishshel

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007

          I use one that sticks to the windshield and has a flexible neck to adjust to your liking.  I like it.

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
            Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Which Mount Should I Buy?

            I've got the suction cup mount. It works really well for the first several months, then one day it pops....  Guess I ought to clean the windshield some days huh?
              I got the suction cup mount because I travel from time to time and I can stick it in the rental car. It's a real help in a new city.
              I have heard that there is a bean bag mount as well. That's the one I would like to try if I could find it.
              If you were nice and left the appropriate credit card information (grin) I'd let you try mine out and see if yoiu like it.
              Terry. (Uncle_Fluffy)

            I need to get a GPSmap 60CSx mount for my Jeep Cherokee. I found there
            are two types: one that seems to stick to the windshield and is
            stationary and one that mounts to the dashboard and swivels. Does
            anyone here have any experience with these mounts? I need to figure
            out which one would be best for my vehicle.

            Thanks,
            Brucacuda

            The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum Corporation. Furthermore, Quantum Corporation is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
            • Pam Tobias
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007

                I don't own one myself, but I just read a newspaper article this weekend about how thieves are out there looking for the telltale mark of a suction cup on a windshield, which tells them they should break into that car to find the hidden gps inside.  Just another thing to remind you it's a not nice world out there sometimes.

                Pam (pblt)

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
                  I have a dash swivel mount for my Magellan in eXplorist 600 in my Jeep
                  Cherokee. it is very secure with a few foam sticky pads and holds the
                  GPS at the perect position for me. The suction cups can have a
                  tendency to pop off unexpectedly when goin offroad with the Jeep.

                • Terry Carter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
                    Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Which Mount Should I Buy?

                    Ya, I read that in a spam that was going around a while back. It didn't make sense to me then either. If I'm a crook, do I look for the mount screwed into the dashboard with a bit of permanance or closely inspect - at night for tale tale smudge marks on a winshield where I know the owner has removed the mount. I wonder if the owner took the time to secure the GPS as well? I know which car I'd see first.
                      Sorry, just a bit of rampant sarcasm. No personal jab intended.
                      Terry (Uncle_Fluffy)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 27, 2007
                        Bruce, You can also get component-based Ram Mounts for your GPS. To
                        see the wide variety that is available, visit gpscity.com, click on
                        the Ram Mounts link, then input your model number. The beauty of the
                        Ram-Mount system is that you can buy parts that make it very easy to
                        use the same cradle and/or arm on different bases for different
                        applications, for example when going from your Jeep to your bike to
                        your boat or wherever.

                        I just ordered a cradle for my 76CSx along with a new neck that has a
                        360-degree swivel in the middle because I think it will allow me more
                        freedom in getting the viewing angle I want when I'm in someone else's
                        vehicle. I will be able to use it when biking and kayaking, too.

                        Happy Trails,
                        Candy
                        moosiegirl

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Burns"