Geo Poker Run Event

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      OK folks, I've been thinking about this one for a while. There's a
      tiny bit of fine tuning to do but I'm 99% of the way there. I'd like
      to get some feedback as to whether you would be interested (the few
      I mentioned it to thought it sounded like a blast)and what day would
      work best. The four days that I can do it would either be Oct Oct
      18th or 19th or Nov 1st or 2nd. With a quick enough response, I
      might even be able to pull it off this weekend (but that's a
      longshot). Please forgive me for the length of this post. Here is
      the idea:
      Minimum 6 people, maximum 14 (7 teams of 2). 7 caches hidden in
      Walnut Creek Park. Each cache has 7 envelopes, each envelope has 1
      playing card. We meet and then head out to do 5 of the caches
      (coordinates for just 1 cache are given at the start to each
      player/team, a different one for each player/team, that way we don't
      all head off to the same cache at the start). Each person/team grabs
      and envelope at the first cache giving them a card and the
      coordinates for their next cache, and so on. Continue till each
      player/team has all five envelopes from all 5 caches. Then we meet
      back at the starting point and chill out, have lunch, enjoy a
      brewskie, look at our cards (but don't let others see them). You can
      discard between 0-2 cards. Then we head out to do the remaining 1 or
      2 caches if we want to get card(s) to replace any we have discarded.
      As a motivating factor, if you don't need any cards because you had
      a great hand and didn't discard, by going to the last 2 "replacement
      card caches" you get the coordinates for the Wild Card Cache. Meet
      back up and see who wins. Winner gets the prize. Prize will either
      be something I buy (such as a gift certificate) with everyone's
      entry fee (maybe $5) OR we start with an ante cache which everyone
      hits first to place their prize in (any suitable fun $5ish item).
      When you go to the ante cache at the beginning is when you get the
      coords to the first cache location, again, everyone would get the
      coords to a different cache so we don't all head off the same way.
      As far as planting the caches I have 2 options.
      1) I can leave a box in a central location where everyone that is
      playing picks up a cache and hides it during the days before we
      play. This way we are all on even ground, we each know one location
      and are motivated to make it a good hide from the others playing.
      2) second option is one of Shelly's friends named Greg said he would
      volunteer to hide them all. How nice is that???
      OK, let me know if you're in and what date out of the 4 listed above
      works best. My vote is Oct 18th but if everyone is running off to
      Waco that day I can be flexible.
      So what do you say... Social gathering, BBQ, beverages, Geocaching,
      a game of Poker and prizes all wrapped up into one?
      Thanks for your input!
      Steve
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        OH, This sounds really fun! And a GREAT plan. But PLEEZE wait til November so Wayne and I will be home for it ... if everyone else wants to do it sooner, we will just listen to all the great stories that are bound to come from it!!

        Candy Lind    candylind@...
        I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          This sounds like a blast but I'm with Candy - October is full for me
          and November would work much better!!

          Alyson
        • Dan Miner
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
            This sounds like a lot of fun! My vote for a date: Nov. 2.

            - Dan (WhiteShark)

          • Tanya Phillips
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              I would go Oct 18th or 19th if it is in the morning thru early
              afternoon!!! Sounds awesome!!!
              Tanya
              Gadget Girl

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
            • Megindler@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                Sounds like a total blast!  But I think I am doomed for all weekends.  It does depend though if 11/1 is the start of deer season.  If not, I just might be able to do that weekend.  I may just have to meet you all for the fun and brewskie session of the event!!  ;o)
              • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Cool idea. Either weekend works for me if the party starts around 11 or later.

                  No offense to Greg, but has he cached enough to be up for this task?

                  I like the idea of one person hiding all the caches, though. Gives everyone an even start.

                  Depending on where caches are hidden in the park, hitting 7 may taken longer than you want and leave less time for the party. Just a thought that you might want to take this to a smaller park or use a limited area .....

                  Make it happen!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                    I Am in.

                    This sounds like a blast but I'm with Candy - October is full for me
                    and November would work much better!!

                    Alyson

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to