Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Confused in Tokyo

  • cybercat
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
      I had a yellow eTrex when I went to Italy.  It was very confused for a long time and eventually a screen came up that said , have you traveled 1000 miles since you last turned the gps on?  When I clicked YES, it was confused again for a long time and then eventually all the satellites came in.....so just give it a long time to THINK......so to speak  :-)
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
        > Mike (Lignumaqua) travels the world geoccahing. So Mike, does your
        > unit usually initilize on its own or do you have to select "new
        > location" a lot?

        Yeah - my GPSr has been across the Atlantic about 30 times now!

        I find that it will get a lock on its own if you are prepared to leave
        it long enough but I always jump start the process by using 'select
        new location'. It seems to be much quicker if you do that.

        I often start this when I get in the cab at the airport and I have a
        lock before getting to the hotel! :-)
      • Michelle Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2007

          Hi all.  Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the GPSr when traveling to another country.  My husband isn’t patient enough to sit outside and wait for the GPSr to find itself so he just printed out the google maps and got to work.  Found both caches he was looking for!

          We’re looking forward to meeting some similarly obsessed people at the upcoming holiday bash.

          Have a great evening!

          mishshel