RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Confused in Tokyo

  • Perrine, Julie
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007

      I agree with Russ.  I have been TOTALLY frustrated when trying to cache in a downtown area.  Look for caches with detailed hints and try to pinpoint the location, or at least the INTERSECTION, on an online map or your GPS away from the buildings before you head out.  Another suggestion is to email someone local and see if you can arrange to cache together.  A local can help you navigate to the right place or take you in their car out to a better caching spot away from the buildings.  Also, you could search for virtual caches.  It’s easier to find a statue and get information than to find a pico with a mile of accuracy on your GPS.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
        I have heard when you jump the pond with a GPS unit, you need to give
        it a _lot_ of time to negotiate the difference and come to terms with
        the new continent. Some say you need to let the unit try to acquire
        satellite lock for upwards of 15-20 minutes with clear visibility.

        Makes sense. My 60CS when it came to me thought it was still in
        Taiwan when I powered it up after unboxing it. I had to give it a
        while to determine that it was indeed in North America. After that,
        it never took as long to lock when powered up while I remained in
        North America ...

        gl hf!

        On 12/4/07, Michelle Smith <michelle@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. I have been lurking on the site for about a month now and my family and I are HOOKED on geocaching. We picked up a couple of travel bugs locally that wanted to travel the world and my husband, who is currently in Tokyo, is trying to place them in some caches there. We usually use a Garmin Nuvi 350 but since we don't have any maps for Japan, I sent him with my dad's little yellow Garmin Etrex. It was showing a signal just fine here but is currently confused in Tokyo. Can anyone tell me if there is a different setting he is supposed to use on that side of the globe?
        >

        > I'm copying my husband on this so feel free to reply to all. Thanks!!
        >

        > Mishshel
        >
        > Bastrop, Texas

      • emmy_n_sapphie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
          Actually, if you move more than 600 miles with your GPS off or you
          haven't had it on for several months, you do have to "initialize"
          the unit again. Sometimes the unit

          http://tinyurl.com/2get6z This is from the Garmin owner's manual.
          It's talking about the etrex, but I know its true for the 72 and 76S
          model as well, and I suspect it is true for every model. Look on
          page 4 to see the explanation and directions

          So if it won't initialize on its own in a reasonable amount of time,
          choose "new location" from the menu & tell it where you are. I have
          to do this sometimes when I go to New England. Other times, it locks
          on to the satellites right away.

          Mike (Lignumaqua) travels the world geoccahing. So Mike, does your
          unit usually initilize on its own or do you have to select "new
          location" a lot?

          Mary Beth
          (emmy-n-sapphie)
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
            Oh, yes, our 60cses get very unhappy with us after plane trips. Perhaps
            they're sulky for not being allowed to track the whole distance?

            On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:27:33 -0600 "Nick Silkey" <nsilkey@...>
            writes:
            > I have heard when you jump the pond with a GPS unit, you need to
            > give
            > it a _lot_ of time to negotiate the difference and come to terms
            > with
            > the new continent. Some say you need to let the unit try to
            > acquire
            > satellite lock for upwards of 15-20 minutes with clear visibility.
            >
            > Makes sense. My 60CS when it came to me thought it was still in
            > Taiwan when I powered it up after unboxing it. I had to give it a
            > while to determine that it was indeed in North America. After
            > that,
            > it never took as long to lock when powered up while I remained in
            > North America ...
            >
            > gl hf!
            >
            > On 12/4/07, Michelle Smith <michelle@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi all. I have been lurking on the site for about a month now and
            > my family and I are HOOKED on geocaching. We picked up a couple of
            > travel bugs locally that wanted to travel the world and my husband,
            > who is currently in Tokyo, is trying to place them in some caches
            > there. We usually use a Garmin Nuvi 350 but since we don't have any
            > maps for Japan, I sent him with my dad's little yellow Garmin Etrex.
            > It was showing a signal just fine here but is currently confused in
            > Tokyo. Can anyone tell me if there is a different setting he is
            > supposed to use on that side of the globe?
            > >

            > > I'm copying my husband on this so feel free to reply to all.
            > Thanks!!
            > >

            > > Mishshel
            > >
            > > Bastrop, Texas

            Life is a hard battle anyway, and if we laugh and sing a little as we
            fight the good fight of freedom, it makes it all go easier. --Sojourner
            Truth
          • cybercat
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
              I had a yellow eTrex when I went to Italy.  It was very confused for a long time and eventually a screen came up that said , have you traveled 1000 miles since you last turned the gps on?  When I clicked YES, it was confused again for a long time and then eventually all the satellites came in.....so just give it a long time to THINK......so to speak  :-)
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
                > Mike (Lignumaqua) travels the world geoccahing. So Mike, does your
                > unit usually initilize on its own or do you have to select "new
                > location" a lot?

                Yeah - my GPSr has been across the Atlantic about 30 times now!

                I find that it will get a lock on its own if you are prepared to leave
                it long enough but I always jump start the process by using 'select
                new location'. It seems to be much quicker if you do that.

                I often start this when I get in the cab at the airport and I have a
                lock before getting to the hotel! :-)
              • Michelle Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2007

                  Hi all.  Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the GPSr when traveling to another country.  My husband isn’t patient enough to sit outside and wait for the GPSr to find itself so he just printed out the google maps and got to work.  Found both caches he was looking for!

                  We’re looking forward to meeting some similarly obsessed people at the upcoming holiday bash.

                  Have a great evening!

                  mishshel