Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: I'm Surrounded by Things to Find?!

  • Pam Tobias
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hehe I'm making do with my Garmin Forerunner that I got for running.  It lets me upload waypoints and it points me in the right direction and tells me how close I am, but I have a feeling I don't know what I'm missing.

      Pam (pblt)
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
        My sister was somewhere in the Ft. Worth area when this happened.

        Bruce

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin (KoosKoos)"
        <centexgeocaching@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of...where was your sister when that happened?
        >
        > Welcome to the crazy hobby!
        >
        > Kevin
        > KoosKoos
        >
        > On Nov 30, 2007 4:25 PM, Bruce Burns <bruce@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Wow! What a response! Thank you for the suggestions - I have a
        good
        > > idea of what GPS unit someone (hopefully) will be giving me this
        > > Christmas! (And if I don't get one for Christmas, I'll just go buy
        > > it myself on the 26th).
        > >
        > > I also got an email from a Michael J., publisher of Geocacher
        > > Magazine - he's interested in doing a feature story focused on my
        > > posting about how my sister and I found out about geocaching!
        > >
        > > Bruce
        > >
        > > --- In
        CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com<CentralTexasGeocachers%
        40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Bruce Burns"
        > > <bruce@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty
        story
        > > > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
        > > > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the
        park
        > > > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group
        asked
        > > > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
        > > > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
        > > > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
        > > man
        > > > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a
        paper,
        > > > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box
        back
        > > > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
        > > > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole
        geocaching
        > > > thing.
        > > >
        > > > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about
        this.
        > > > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
        > > and
        > > > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
        > > > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got
        > > go
        > > > out and find them!
        > > >
        > > > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
        > > > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and
        Trips.
        > > > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the
        wild
        > > > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking
        for
        > > > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
        > > > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no
        > > such
        > > > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld
        unit.

        > > > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would
        be
        > > the
        > > > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
        > > hardware
        > > > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
        > > > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit
        shocked
        > > > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait
        > > get
        > > > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
        > > really
        > > > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
          That price appears to be after the $50 rebate.
          The price after rebate from Shipdog.com is $269.50
          The price after rebate from Amazon.com is $272.69
          Much better than the $500 they were getting for them when they first
          came out!

          Also, Amazon.com is selling the Garmin MapSource Topo U.S. 2008 for
          $78. It has been updated to include most streets now. (Although still
          not as good for streets as City Navigator.)

          I should have mentioned this a few days ago...I bought it for $53,
          minus $30 rebate = $23

          Brent

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan