I'm Surrounded by Things to Find?!

  • Bruce Burns
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
      Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
      that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
      picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
      table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group asked
      my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
      something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
      strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the man
      pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
      places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
      where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
      going on, and that's when she found out about this whole geocaching
      thing.

      Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
      The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me - and
      the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
      quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to go
      out and find them!

      But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
      attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
      However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the wild
      looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
      them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
      from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no such
      luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld unit.

      So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be the
      best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or hardware
      should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
      geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit shocked
      that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to get
      out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some really
      creative caches and locations to place on my own...
    • Dominic J. Eidson
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
        On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Bruce Burns wrote:

        > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be the
        > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or hardware
        > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
        > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit shocked
        > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to get
        > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some really
        > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

        I started out with a Garmin eTrex Legend. Simple, b/w screen, not much
        internal storage, but it works.

        Then I saw a friend of mine's Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx. Yummy.

        Color screen, expandable external storage (microSD slot), a "geocaching
        mode", can do turn-by-turn directions if you load maps on it.

        It's awesome. It even works indoors, depending on your roof.

        I bought a 2GB microSD card for it, and bought the NorthAmerica map set
        from Garmin. Now I have turn-by-turn driving directions until I get close
        enough to the geocache. :)

        If you want a GPSr that works well for both outdoors and in the car, I
        highly recommend the 60Cx. Academy has it on "sale" for $399. (Yes, pricy,
        but worth it, IMHO.)

        - d.

        --
        Dominic J. Eidson
        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
          Welcome to our obession... uh, I mean hobby....

          Many of us have the Garmin 60CSx.  It has tons of features and runs from $400 - $500 depending on where you look.  You need to go to geocaching.com, create an account so you can keep track of all of the geocaches you will find and log them as being found or not.  You can a file full of geocaches emailed to you from the site.  Then you can upload the geocaches into your GPS!  This makes geocaching very convenient and fun.  To get the file, you have to be a paid member of the site ($3/month).  Until you get a GPS, I found one just the other day by looking at it's location in Google Maps !  What?  You're not on your way out the door yet?  What are you waiting for man!?!
          There are thousands hidden around the Austin area....
          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          Bruce Burns <bruce@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
            Yeah i agree with Doc - welcome to the obsession, at least that is what it is for most of us, and the Garmin units are the ones most often found in our geocaching groups. I have the Rhino series Garmin units because they also have two way radios in them for communication which is an added plus for me. Garmin makes a lot of units in all kinds of price ranges so just decide what your needs are and go for it.

            Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007

              Garmin 60CSx

              MapSource

              Premium membership at GC.com

              GSAK when you’ve decided you really like geocaching

              That’s all I have and I’ve been able to find plenty of caches!

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                Don't listen to her... she doesn't know what she's talking about...
                (She's only the 17th person in the world to find TEN THOUSAND geocaches....  that's all....)

                ...just a hint of sarcasm.....   lol...

                Julie ROCKS!!!!

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                  The answer for 'the best' is a broad as the answerers.
                  We were very pleased with starting out with the Garmen eTrex ($99), the
                  next year upgraded to Vista Legends($250), and finally decided, what's
                  good for the Outlaw is good for us, and the next year each got Garmin
                  60csx 350) units, with Garmin's MapSource software, another $80 or so.
                  We're content with this latest combo.
                  MapSource is wonderful, but we love to curse it, because it has Notions
                  sometimes.... (and can get downright testy), but that adds to the fun.

                  So. It depends on how hooked you think you'll be....

                  There are also people who are fond of the other brands of GPS, like
                  Magellan.... it's kind of like a Mac/PC argument (or Merlot/Cabernet
                  argument....)

                  What you might do is check out REI Austin's calendar for a
                  GPS 101 course (though you JUST missed it, the next are in January)....
                  they're Free.
                  But, I know, I know, those caches are burning a hole in your psyche!!!!

                  So the first question for 'best' is 'budget'
                  Budget being no barrier, you want something like the 60csx that allows
                  more text.
                  But then, you'll also want a portable computer (palm/laptop, etc) if you
                  want to do "paperless caching" -- because descriptions and hints are
                  invaluable, too.

                  Watch this space for upcoming events, and join us, and you'll get an ear
                  full for certain. And, who knows, some hands may wave to take you on a
                  'test drive' caching.

                  Oh, and be warned, this sport is addictive -- next thing you know you'll
                  be out in the back and beyond of god-knows-where in a snowstorm, crying
                  "uno mas! uno mas!"
                  On the other hand, there are worse things to be addicted to!

                  BarbJ (aka, The Tygress)

                  On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:58:46 -0000 "Bruce Burns" <bruce@...>
                  writes:
                  > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
                  > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
                  > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
                  > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group asked
                  >
                  > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
                  > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
                  > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the man
                  >
                  > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
                  > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
                  > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
                  > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole geocaching
                  >
                  > thing.
                  >
                  > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
                  > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me - and
                  >
                  > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
                  > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to go
                  >
                  > out and find them!
                  >
                  > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
                  > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
                  > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the wild
                  >
                  > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
                  > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
                  > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no such
                  >
                  > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld unit.
                  >
                  > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be
                  > the
                  > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
                  > hardware
                  > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
                  > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit shocked
                  > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to
                  > get
                  > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
                  > really
                  > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

                  Life is a hard battle anyway, and if we laugh and sing a little as we
                  fight the good fight of freedom, it makes it all go easier. --Sojourner
                  Truth
                • Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                    For the Magellan lovers out there (no stones please)...Magellan is releasing a brand new gps called Triton 2000.  There are lower level ones with not so many bells and whistles.  I love my old Magellans and I can't wait for my spiffy new Triton 2000 to arrive in January.  It has a built in flashlight, camera, mp3, voice recorder etc. etc.  Can you tell I'm excited???  LOL!
                    Penny
                    cpnowak

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                      So, Bruce, when do you want to go caching? There are skads of us with
                      GPSr's in hand just WAITING to go out with a new geocacher and
                      experience once again the WONDER that was ours when we found our first
                      few caches!

                      Oh, my number is six three two - six two zero six ... when you're ready
                      to schedule a caching trip ... AND I'm the local ''geocaching hotline''
                      if you need to phone a friend while you're on the trail!

                      Happy Trails,
                      Candy
                      Moosiegirl

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Burns" <bruce@...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Will it also make sure your TIVO records your tv shows for you while you are out geocaching?  :-D

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                        • A Allen (SEMIK)
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                            Hi Bruce! We're so glad you found our Yahoo group-- you have
                            certainly come to the right place. I hope we don't scare you away
                            with our exuberance! If we inundate you with too much info, please
                            just yell "Time out"!

                            You can probably get a used unit someplace (austin.craigslist.com -
                            use caution; "GPS Garage Sale" forum on geocaching.com; eBay etc.).
                            However if you are more comfortable with buying a NEW unit I concur
                            with Barry/Doc Geo's suggestion of the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
                            *seems to be the favorite of geocachers worldwide
                            *essentially customized for geocaching tasks
                            *$309.99 at TigerDirect.com
                            *$359.99 at TigerDirect.com

                            However I am currently drooling over the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx
                            which has very similar features in a smaller unit (I have small
                            hands) and a smaller price tag
                            * essentially customized for geocaching tasks
                            * $209.99 at TigerDirect.com
                            * $226.08 at TigerGPS.com

                            I also concur with my fellow geocachers that Geocaching Swiss Army
                            Knife (GSAK) is a godsend. And cheap! ($25.00 at GSAK.net). It was
                            written by a geocacher and several of our locals are GSAK gurus. You
                            can load maps, geocache waypoints, and your pda with this one handy
                            tool.

                            I use CacheMate for my Palm PDA to log my finds in the field and
                            then upload my logs into GSAK and log them on geocaching.com.

                            But before you go and try to figure all the software out -- watch
                            for the regular Geekfest event held here in Austin where many of the
                            local cachers will teach you how to do it all!

                            Hope that wasn't too much. Let us know when you've got your
                            handheld GPS and we'll suggest some great caches for you to find in
                            order to get your creative juices flowing!

                            See you on the trail!
                            Audra Allen/semik
                            I cache with my hubby, Matthew/mda_taz

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                              Wow! What a response! Thank you for the suggestions - I have a good
                              idea of what GPS unit someone (hopefully) will be giving me this
                              Christmas! (And if I don't get one for Christmas, I'll just go buy
                              it myself on the 26th).

                              I also got an email from a Michael J., publisher of Geocacher
                              Magazine - he's interested in doing a feature story focused on my
                              posting about how my sister and I found out about geocaching!

                              Bruce

                              <bruce@...> wrote:

                              > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
                              > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
                              > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
                              > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group asked
                              > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
                              > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
                              > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
                              man
                              > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
                              > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
                              > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
                              > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole geocaching
                              > thing.
                              >
                              > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
                              > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
                              and
                              > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
                              > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to
                              go
                              > out and find them!
                              >
                              > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
                              > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
                              > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the wild
                              > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
                              > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
                              > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no
                              such
                              > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld unit.
                              >
                              > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be
                              the
                              > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
                              hardware
                              > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
                              > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit shocked
                              > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to
                              get
                              > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
                              really
                              > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

                            • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                                Speaking of...where was your sister when that happened?

                                Welcome to the crazy hobby!

                                Kevin
                                KoosKoos

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007

                                  Once, HiDude, Trey and I had a whole WEDDING PARTY searching the pavilion they were partying at for a geocache!  They all had their heads under the benches, and we moved their wine bottles to stand so we could check the rafters.  They thought it was the coolest thing ever!

                                  BUT…….

                                  We DNF’d!   OUCH!

                                  <bruce@...> wrote:

                                  > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
                                  > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
                                  > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
                                  > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group asked
                                  > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
                                  > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
                                  > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
                                  man
                                  > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
                                  > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
                                  > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
                                  > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole geocaching
                                  > thing.
                                  >
                                  > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
                                  > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
                                  and
                                  > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
                                  > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to
                                  go
                                  > out and find them!
                                  >
                                  > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
                                  > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
                                  > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the wild
                                  > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
                                  > them. I found the first one in a
                                  w:st="on">Cedar Park park down the street

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                                    See? One find and you're already famous.
                                    I predict GREAT things for you.

                                    The Tiger price SEMIK/Audra (we have these handles, you see -- a hold
                                    over from CB radios? I don't know) is the best I've seen. I've gotten
                                    ours through amazon.com, which also has a deep discount (and, if you can
                                    be patient, free super saver shipping!)....

                                    Oh, the fun you'll have, the things you'll see!

                                    BarbJ/Tygress

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                                    • Pam Tobias
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                                        Hehe I'm making do with my Garmin Forerunner that I got for running.  It lets me upload waypoints and it points me in the right direction and tells me how close I am, but I have a feeling I don't know what I'm missing.

                                        Pam (pblt)

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
                                          My sister was somewhere in the Ft. Worth area when this happened.

                                          Bruce

                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin (KoosKoos)"
                                          <centexgeocaching@...> wrote:

                                          > Speaking of...where was your sister when that happened?
                                          >
                                          > Welcome to the crazy hobby!
                                          >
                                          > Kevin
                                          > KoosKoos
                                          >
                                          > On Nov 30, 2007 4:25 PM, Bruce Burns <bruce@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Wow! What a response! Thank you for the suggestions - I have a
                                          good
                                          > > idea of what GPS unit someone (hopefully) will be giving me this
                                          > > Christmas! (And if I don't get one for Christmas, I'll just go buy
                                          > > it myself on the 26th).
                                          > >
                                          > > I also got an email from a Michael J., publisher of Geocacher
                                          > > Magazine - he's interested in doing a feature story focused on my
                                          > > posting about how my sister and I found out about geocaching!
                                          > >
                                          > > Bruce
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In
                                          CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com<CentralTexasGeocachers%
                                          40yahoogroups.com>,
                                          > > "Bruce Burns"
                                          > > <bruce@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty
                                          story
                                          > > > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
                                          > > > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the
                                          park
                                          > > > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group
                                          asked
                                          > > > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
                                          > > > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
                                          > > > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
                                          > > man
                                          > > > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a
                                          paper,
                                          > > > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box
                                          back
                                          > > > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
                                          > > > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole
                                          geocaching
                                          > > > thing.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about
                                          this.
                                          > > > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
                                          > > and
                                          > > > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
                                          > > > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got
                                          > > go
                                          > > > out and find them!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
                                          > > > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and
                                          Trips.
                                          > > > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the
                                          wild
                                          > > > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking
                                          for
                                          > > > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
                                          > > > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no
                                          > > such
                                          > > > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld
                                          unit.

                                          > > > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would
                                          be
                                          > > the
                                          > > > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
                                          > > hardware
                                          > > > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
                                          > > > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit
                                          shocked
                                          > > > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait
                                          > > get
                                          > > > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
                                          > > really
                                          > > > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

                                        • Brent
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
                                            That price appears to be after the $50 rebate.
                                            The price after rebate from Shipdog.com is $269.50
                                            The price after rebate from Amazon.com is $272.69
                                            Much better than the $500 they were getting for them when they first
                                            came out!

                                            Also, Amazon.com is selling the Garmin MapSource Topo U.S. 2008 for
                                            $78. It has been updated to include most streets now. (Although still
                                            not as good for streets as City Navigator.)

                                            I should have mentioned this a few days ago...I bought it for $53,
                                            minus $30 rebate = $23

                                            Brent

                                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan