2003 Texas State Geocaching Extravaganza!

  • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
      Mark your calanders for the weekend of March 29-30 for the 2003 Texas
      State Geocaching Extravaganza!

      This event will be held at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch on Lake
      Bridgeport. Event is sponsored by the Longhorn Council, BSA, in
      conjunction with their annual Spring Orienteering Meet.

      If anyone would like to help staff this event, or has suggestions for
      activities you'd like to see, let me know.

      Rich Wendling
      aka Web-ling

      Note: This is NOT the same event as the one 9Key and USMorrows are
      planning...
    • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2003
        Additional details have been posted for this event:

        We're expecting 400-500 orienteers at this event from all over Texas
        and Louisiana. This will give us geocachers a huge audience of
        people who are used to "wandering around in the woods looking for
        stuff" to introduce to our hobby/sport/obsession. I'd LOVE to have
        100+ cachers show up to help assimilate the orienteers. Also, this
        would be a terrific opportunity to learn map-and-compass skills from
        some highly talented experts on the subject.

        Hope to see you there!

        Rich Wendling
        aka Web-ling
      • Rich Wendling <web-ling@web-ling.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23 11:43 AM
          The registration packet for the 2003 Texas State Geocaching
          Extravaganza is now available at:

          http://www.longhorncouncil.org/orienteering/ntoa/sr2o03.pdf

          The list of afternoon geocaching clinics has been added to the cache
          page. The winners of the two timed multi-caches will each win a copy
          of ExpertGPS.

          Rich Wendling
          aka Web-ling

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling <web-

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
            UPDATE:

            I've finished designing the two timed multi-caches. The first is a
            hybrid GPS/Orienteering multicache, using standard orienteering
            controls, a map, plus coordinates I'd rate it a 1/3. It will have 10
            points each of the two days. The second course is a more traditional
            timed 4/3.5 multicache, with 10 points each of the two days. Winners
            for each course will win a copy of ExpertGPS and bragging rights for
            the next 12 months.

            The night event will be a cross between a multi-cache and a game of
            Clue.

            I've bought 20 small ammo cans for caches. They will range from 1/1
            to a 4/4 multicache.

            If you plan to attend, PLEASE turn in the registration form. They
            need to be sent in by MARCH 21 to avoid a late fee.

            BruceS from St. Louis, currently with 1969 cache finds, is planning
            to attend.

            This looks like an incredible weekend. Hope everyone can make it!

            Rich Wendling
            aka Web-ling
          • Rich Wendling
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
              Entry deadline is Friday, March 21 in order to avoid the late fee.

              We've added a BONUS CACHE with a Garmin Rino-120 for the first finder!

              Hope to see you there!