Re: David Liban's Geocache Documentary

  • BlazerMan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2007
      David Liaban's Geocache documentary is going to be on PBS in Austin
      in December. Don't forget to set up your DVRs.

      http://tinyurl.com/22g566

      series: GEOCACHE

      GEOCACHE looks at an emerging outdoor sport in which players employ
      multi-billion dollar global satellite positioning technology, the
      Internet and hiking skills on a high-tech but low-stakes treasure
      hunt to locate items hidden all over the world. GEOCACHE details the
      origins and rules of the game, the various types of caches -
      typically small, water-proof containers filled with a log book and
      trinkets -and the lengths players will go to in hiding and finding
      caches. The program spotlights the sport's zealous fan base, a quirky
      group of self-proclaimed techno-geeks, and visits GeoWoodstock IV, an
      international convention where players gather to socialize and
      geocache.

      Showtimes:
      Dec 6 2007, 12:30AM [KLRU 2]
      Dec 16 2007, 4:30AM [KLRU-G]

      Length: 27 min.
      Rating: TV-G

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "BlazerMan"
      <blazerman_atx@...> wrote:

      For those of you who were at GeoWoodstock 4, you may have noticed a
      guy wandering around with a video camera and doing interviews for a
      documentary. That guy was David Liban (geocaching name SirBizzle).
      I've just now ordered and received a copy of his documentary DVD
      called Geocache.

      http://www.davidliban.com/geofilm/

      While GW4 is not the only thing covered in the film, it is a large
      part of it. R.O.B.'s GW4 cache run

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/blazerman/tags/robsgw4cacherun/

      is also featured pretty prominently.

      Here are the chapter titles:
      Opening
      Think Like the Hider
      Addictive
      Big Numbers
      Selective Availability
      Origins
      GeoWoodstock 4
      One Degree of Separation
      Community and Family
      Geocoins and Travelbugs
      Micro and Cache Run
      Stay On the Trail
      Natural Parks
      Run-in With the Law
      Screen Identity
      A Healthy Pursuit
      End Credits

      I won't review the entire film tonight, I did want to say at least a
      few things about it. It fairly covers both sides of the "Should we be
      able to cache wherever we want?" issue without being over
      sensational. It also covers some aspects of the numbers game. I found
      it to be a good intro to this phenomenon we call geocaching.

      I'm listing all of the geocachers I've been able to identify in the
      film. Some of these people are interviewed, some just show up in the
      background.

      Bikely & Wifely
      Binrat
      BlazerMan
      CCCooperAgency
      Clan Mroczko
      Dark Star
      Dave Ulmer
      DLiming
      fluffy&itchy
      GeoPirat
      GeoWorms
      Greasepot
      grey_wolf & momcat
      H2Nut
      HoustonControl
      IceCreamMan
      Jeremy
      JOYROSE AND HUBBY BULL
      jtee
      kimbest
      KingJR
      klce
      Leapin' Lee
      McDLT
      Moun10Bike
      Mtn-Man
      Nate Irish
      NetworkCacher
      paintfiction
      R.O.B.
      Roland_oso
      sardogmisty
      shirconn
      Snoogans
      Tahosa and Sons
      Team Shydog
      Team U-turn
      Team360
      Tennessee Jed
      TheAlabamaRambler
      Travis Rollins
      TX Diva
      txfiredog
      ZSandmann

      Persied88 is mentioned and the film shows a few of his caches.