Balcones Canyonlands Preserve limitations...

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2007
      Forwarded on from another group since I believe this will be of interest to all of us...

      Hey everyone,

      Got bad news for us: the Balcones Canyonlands Preserve (BCP) are
      attempting to yet further restrict use of all BCP lands.  And what was
      a surprise to me was that a huge part of the Barton Creek Greenbelt
      (most of it outside Loop 360) comes under their purview. It also
      includes Forest Ridge (at Bull Creek), D.K. Ranch, a huge amount of
      land at the upper end of Spicewood Springs and Old Lampasas, and other
      lands around the hill country.

      BCP has the stated goal to preserve endangered species, most
      importantly and significantly the Golden Cheeked Warbler and the
      Black-Capped Vireo.  Unfortunately, some of the lands which have been
      so labeled have been traded to developers, such that many have doubts
      about the integrity and effectiveness of the BCP.

      Despite the fact that almost all of this land was paid for by your tax
      dollars as acquisitions for park land, public access to most of this
      land is forbidden.  At places such as Forest Ridge, mountain bikes or
      organized running groups are forbidden.

      Furthermore, despite promises of a study at Forest Ridge to evaluate
      the impact, none has been done by the BCP.  There is in fact zero
      evidence that recreational use of the land has any adverse effect
      whatsoever on the endangered bird species.  (Much more likely culprit
      is that cats from nearby subdivisions are eating the birds, and by
      fencing off the lands, they also fence out the coyotes which eat the
      mesopredators - cats, raccoons, opossums, etc.  Those mesopredators
      are the primary predators on the songbirds and their eggs.  A study in
      San Diego showed that fencing out the coyotes greatly hurt the bird
      populations.)

      The newly proposed policy by BCP is further restricting land use to
      prohibit running, swimming, rock climbing, in addition to their
      previous prohibitions on mountain biking and group exercise.

      We need everyone's support to ensure that we have continued access to
      our park lands, and to regain some of the ludicrously prohibited
      activities that we all love.  The council meeting is tomorrow (Thurs):
      * November 8, 2007, 6:00 p.m., Austin City hall, 301 W. Second St

      Some good info can be found at places like the BCP site and the Bike
      MoJo site (BTW, the 'bartman' on MoJo is *not* me):

      http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council_meetings/public_meeting_agenda.cfm?meetingid=108
      http://www.balconescanyonlands.org/
      http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=66000
      http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=63937
      http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=65481

      We need also to remember that if the public is not allowed access to
      these lands, then public support for their preservation will vanish,
      and the land will eventually become developed with the ever-changing
      political whims.  The only way to guarantee preservation of this land
      and its ecosystem is to allow public access, and especially to allow
      that access outside the breeding season, when the birds are located in
      Mexico.

      http://mail.yahoo.com