Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garmin Map Clarification

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
      Why not just reinstall the maps? ... assuming they are legitimately
      purchased. ;)

      If you have requisite unlock code(s) paired to your unit(s), you can
      use anyones media to install.

      On Nov 7, 2007 8:29 AM, Terry Carter <terry.carter@...> wrote:
      > I accidently blew away my maps on my laptop and now I guess it's time
      > to pay the piper and purchase correct maps for my 60cs. I had talked
      > to Garmin a while ago about upgrading to v8. They told me to wait
      > until the 2008 version came out. In surfing around, I'm still
      > confused.
      >
      > I've found "Garmin MapSource City Navigator North America on DVD
      > (2008 Maps) - 010-10474-00" but in the description it says that it's
      > v8.
      >
      > On the same site, I found "Garmin MapSource City Navigator North
      > America NT v8 on DVD (2008 Maps) - 010-10816-00" for a couple of
      > bucks less.
      >
      > Garmin's web site has "MapSource City Navigator North America
      > (includes access to the whole disk) Garmin Part Number: 010-10474-00"
      > but it doesn't say what version it is and it's more expensive.
      >
      > So the three questions I have are:
      > What's the NT for?
      > Got any clarification on v8, v9 and 2008?
      > Anybody hav any experience with the latest maps?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Terry (Uncle_Fluffy)
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brent
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Carter"
        <terry.carter@...> wrote:

        > So the three questions I have are:
        > What's the NT for?

        NT stands for New Technology. It is simply a different data
        compression technique used by Garmin. The data takes up less space,
        but the selectable map regions come in bigger chunks. The actual map
        data is the same in NT and non-NT. The NT version is listed as not
        compatable for the 60CS.

        > Got any clarification on v8, v9 and 2008?

        V8 is last year's version of North American maps.
        2008 is this year's version of N.A. maps.
        V9 is for Europe.

        > Anybody have any experience with the latest maps?

        I have only used V8, but you can see the 2008 version using Garmin's
        Mapsource Map Viewer here:
        http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp
        From what I can tell, there are not many updates for the Austin area
        between V8 and 2008.

        Brent
      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
          Terry,

          The best way to be "unconfused" about your particular Garmin unit is
          always to go to its page on the Garmin website. The 60CS is
          discontinued, so it will take a little more navigating. Anyway, there is
          a tab on the page that shows all the compatible map software for your
          unit.

          That said, AVOID THE NT. NT is a special compression used on software
          for the new "x" units. It is the main fly in the ointment that's keeping
          me from upgrading to an X. It means I would have to buy not just the
          unit, but more software as well. I'm just not up to making that
          investment at the moment! My unit is going in for a refurb and I'm going
          to keep using old softare until it becomes excruciatingly painful.

          p.s. see you Friday for "Smackdaddy"!!

          Candy
          moosiegirl

          <terry.carter@...> wrote:

          > I accidently blew away my maps on my laptop and now I guess it's time
          > to pay the piper and purchase correct maps for my 60cs. I had talked
          > to Garmin a while ago about upgrading to v8. They told me to wait
          > until the 2008 version came out. In surfing around, I'm still
          > confused ...

          > ... So the three questions I have are:
          > What's the NT for?
          > Got any clarification on v8, v9 and 2008?
          > Anybody have any experience with the latest maps?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Terry (Uncle_Fluffy)

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
            Candy,

            You are correct that the NT version will not work on the CS, but City
            Navigator V8 WILL work on the csX. If that is the map software that
            you have, don't let that keep you from upgrading!

            Brent

            <candylind@...> wrote:

            > Terry,
            >
            > The best way to be "unconfused" about your particular Garmin unit is
            > always to go to its page on the Garmin website. The 60CS is
            > discontinued, so it will take a little more navigating. Anyway, there is
            > a tab on the page that shows all the compatible map software for your
            > unit.
            >
            > That said, AVOID THE NT. NT is a special compression used on software
            > for the new "x" units. It is the main fly in the ointment that's keeping
            > me from upgrading to an X. It means I would have to buy not just the
            > unit, but more software as well. I'm just not up to making that
            > investment at the moment! My unit is going in for a refurb and I'm going
            > to keep using old softare until it becomes excruciatingly painful.
            >
            > p.s. see you Friday for "Smackdaddy"!!
            >
            > Candy
            > moosiegirl
            >

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Carter"
            > <terry.carter@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I accidently blew away my maps on my laptop and now I guess it's time
            > > to pay the piper and purchase correct maps for my 60cs. I had talked
            > > to Garmin a while ago about upgrading to v8. They told me to wait
            > > until the 2008 version came out. In surfing around, I'm still
            > > confused ...
            >
            > > ... So the three questions I have are:
            > > What's the NT for?
            > > Got any clarification on v8, v9 and 2008?
            > > Anybody have any experience with the latest maps?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Terry (Uncle_Fluffy)

          • GeoMire
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007

              Ah, yes.. but here’s something you probably don’t know about NT.

              You don’t have to use NT on the CSx, but you will be more maps on your new microSD card if you use NT.  NT has all of the stuff the non-NT version does, but here’s the interesting part.

              When purchasing and registering a serial number with the non-NT version, the ½ price upgrades are ALWAYS bound to that same serial number.  If you break your device, or upgrade, you have to purchase the full version of the maps to use on the new device.

              NT on the other hand, gives you a new product code with all of your ½ price upgrades, which means you CAN upgrade your device and still use upgrades for the maps.

              I personally like saving money, so I can spend it on something else.

              -Chris

              GeoMire

              The Loopy ½ of Tush Brothers Inc.