Geocaching tent at TPWD Wildlife Expo, Oct.6-7

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      (I deleted the original email I sent out since I'm not allowed to
      edit it and am reposting this email with the correct dates in the
      subject line. Please reply to THIS email if you would like to
      volunteer so I know you're aware of the correct dates.)

      For those who aren't aware of it, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
      holds a Wildlife Expo every year on the grounds of the department
      headquarters. This year they have asked for someone to run a
      geocaching tent and I have volunteered to do so. I have organized
      it so
      that I can do it all myself if necessary and it can grow as needed.
      Here are the basics:

      (Times are for both Saturday and Sunday)
      9:30 - 9:45 Classroom
      9:45 - 10:15 Geocache hunt
      10:30 - 10:45 Classroom
      10:45 - 11:15 Geocache hunt
      11:30 - 11:45 Classroom
      11:45 - 12:15 Geocache hunt
      12:30 - 1:30 Lunch break
      1:30 - 1:45 Classroom
      1:45 - 2:15 Geocache hunt
      2:30 - 2:45 Classroom
      2:45 - 3:15 Geocache hunt
      3:30 - 3:45 Classroom
      3:45 - 4:15 Geocache hunt

      Class will cover:
      Steps to Geocaching:
      Step 1: Setting up your Geocaching.com account
      Step 2: Picking out your first cache to hunt
      Step 3: Getting coordinates into your GPS
      Step 4: Getting to the cache
      Step 5: The search
      Step 6: The find
      Step 7: Logging your find online

      I am asking for volunteers to help out. Like I said,. I can
      certainly do it all by myself or I would not have volunteered, but
      if anyone would like to help out by covering a class or taking a
      group into the field after the class or both, feel free to pick a
      date and time from the above schedule - as much or as little as you
      want. You can also just sit at the tent and answer questions while
      I take visitors out to find caches... And if you just want to come
      by and visit, then by all means do! One thing I could really use
      are some camoflaged containers, for table display, to give visitors
      an idea of the variety of containers that are used.

      And no, Julie, you don't get smilies for attending, volunteering or
      finding any of the caches that are meant for the visitors... :-)

      Location of the geocaching tent is N 30 11.569 W 097 42.814

      Barry
      aka Doc Geo