Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Was: Jeep TB etiquette

  • M.Schreffler
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
      On a side note (i.e. nothing to to do with Jeep tbs in
      particular), it seems weird to me to count a tb as
      being dropped in a cache that's too small to hold it.
      I have a nanocache that currently lists two tb's.
      Someone wrote to ask me where the tb's were (they
      looked around the cache area). I thought it was a
      mistake and wrote to the person who dropped them there
      but he wrote back saying it was no mistake and that
      they were "logged for miles". It just seems a bit
      strange to me to list tb's in a nanocache!

      I have a tb travelling that I asked to have its
      picture taken with the cacher's stuffed animals. When
      a cacher kept putting it in multiple caches to log
      miles I had lots of miles but not a lot of pictures. I
      finally asked them to leave it in a cache and they
      gave it to a friend who then logged it in multiple
      caches, too! (no pictures). For me, personally, it
      would be more fun if it changed hands so my picture
      archive could have grown. My preference that multiple
      people move it didn't have to do with multiple e-mails
      being problematic.

      motx/Martha

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007

        I've been known to drop a TB into the cache closest to my house (a micro) for the miles, particularly if I'm about to take it out of state..  Thing is, you go to immediately grab it out again, otherwise it doesn't make sense.  Some people have a geocoin or personal TB that they log into and then remove from all the caches they find, which gives them a way of tracking their "personal miles".  Kind of neat but too much work for me . . . <G>

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
          Matthew and I have a roaming True Texas Cowboy coin in honor of his
          brother (4 more will be released soon). His brother was
          particularly fond of puzzles. Unfortunately most puzzles (at least
          in this area; hey I'm guilty myself) end in a 35 mm or other micro
          container that is too small for a large geocoin. So, I would
          encourage the finders of the coin to "virtually" drop (which means
          to drop it in and immediately take it back out; like Russ described)
          the coin into any puzzle caches the geocacher encounters while in
          possession of the coin. I would also encourage them to "virtually"
          drop the coin in virtuals that are related to the description on the
          coin's page. It just allows geocachers more ways to help us
          remember/honor our brother.

          This is just another reason we don't trap this game in a firm box of
          rigid rules.

          If you're not really interested in the mileage as much as the
          pictures, make it clear on your cache page and be sure a
          practical "mission sheet" is on all bugs you release so geocachers
          know what you had in mind while they're in the field. A polite
          message to geocachers who seem to have missed your TBs mission is
          all you can really do to try to "control" it.

          All in all you can't force geocachers to do exactly what you want.
          Pictures are fantastic, but sadly, very rare. Too bad we can't award
          bonus smilies to cachers who post a pic with the travel bug...

          Keep hope alive, your TB will fall into the hands of an avid
          photographer and you'll eventually populate your gallery with some
          really great shots! :)

          Audra Allen/semik

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "M.Schreffler"