Hi from a new geocacher

  • rgbryan666
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
      I'm slither666, aka Richard. I've been geocaching for only about 1
      month. A coworker got me interested, Semper Questio. I guess once I
      held the device in my hand and found my first cache on my own I was
      hooked. I am now the proud owner of a GPS device and have over 50
      cache finds. I'm working on ideas for my first hides.

      I hope there is an event some time where I could meet some of you.

      I just want to close by saying that GiGi has my heartfelt sympathy and
      her son is in my prayers.
    • zenfire@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
        Welcome to a great group and a great, um, hobby!

        TeamKaos

        > I'm slither666, aka Richard. I've been geocaching for only about 1
        > month. A coworker got me interested, Semper Questio. I guess once I
        > held the device in my hand and found my first cache on my own I was
        > hooked. I am now the proud owner of a GPS device and have over 50
        > cache finds. I'm working on ideas for my first hides.
        >
        > I hope there is an event some time where I could meet some of you.
        >
        > I just want to close by saying that GiGi has my heartfelt sympathy and
        > her son is in my prayers.

      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
          Welcome to the group slither! Glad to see you made it over!

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rgbryan666"

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007

            Welcome to our obsession! <G>  Yes, do come to the next Event that you can make and meet the local group.  Very good people (with the possible exception of myself, you understand! <G>)  In the meantime, maybe we'll meet "on the hunt".

            Best, Russ the waterweasel

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
              Welcome to the obsession - you have no idea how your life will change. And I am flattered that my quakes series were some of your first caches. Emai me thriugh GC.com if you need a hint for #2.

              Mary Beth
              (emmy-n-sapphie)

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                Welcome to the gang!

                I can't wait to go find your new hides!   My one piece of advice to new cache hiders is:

                Choose your spot carefully, and confirm your coordinates by viewing the cache map on your cache page BEFORE you submit it to the reviewer.  The map should show your cache at the location you intended it to be in.  If it doesn't, you screwed up inputting your coordinates.  It's happened to ALL of us!  But you can easily avoid the HORRIBLE PERSONAL HUMILIATION and IRE of all those you've sent out to Timbuktu by checking first!

                ...but you probably think I'm kidding....... LOL!

                We'll see!

                Cheers,

                On 9/30/07, rgbryan666 <rgbryan666@...> wrote:

                I'm slither666, aka Richard. I've been geocaching for only about 1
                month. A coworker got me interested, Semper Questio. I guess once I
                held the device in my hand and found my first cache on my own I was
                hooked. I am now the proud owner of a GPS device and have over 50
                cache finds. I'm working on ideas for my first hides.

                I hope there is an event some time where I could meet some of you.

                I just want to close by saying that GiGi has my heartfelt sympathy and
                her son is in my prayers.

              • Lee Dedear
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                  And if you're creating a puzzle cache or other type where the seeker must calculate or otherwise determine the final coordinates, the map on your cache page won't be enough to check your work. Paste the coordinates of the actual container into Google Maps. Also, you (or preferably a friend who won't cheat by logging the cache first) should solve the puzzle or otherwise gather the final coordinates, then make sure they match the actual coordinates of the final. Miss one letter in a formula, and you'll be dispatching several FTF hounds off into parts unknown, like I did to the dear Mrs. Captain Picard! I think she's forgiven me of that, just like I forgave her for sending me to a very interesting spot that, unfortunately, was several miles from the actual location of one of her new caches.

                  By and large, we're a reasonable and forgiving lot, and smart enough not to climb over a razor wire fence just because the little pointer says the cache is over there. But you've got to be a LITTLE suspicious of the mental stability of someone who has hunted Tupperware in the woods five or six or seven... THOUSAND... times or more! :)

                  --Lee
                  "Suchmann"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007

                    Suchmann,

                    I only forgive you for saying all those HORRIBLE and totally TRUE things about me because you put the word “dear” in front of my name in your email!

                    LOL!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Dedear"
                      <ldedear@...> wrote:

                      > {snip...} and smart enough not to
                      > climb over a razor wire fence just because the little pointer says
                      the cache
                      > is over there. {... end snip}
                      >
                      > --Lee
                      > "Suchmann"

                      Unless, of course, we're talking about Stratman! ;D
                    • Nick Silkey
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                        On 9/30/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@...> wrote:
                        > And if you're creating a puzzle cache or other type where the seeker must calculate or otherwise determine the final coordinates

                        <snip>

                        Why would you want to do something like that?!

                        ;)
                      • GeoMire
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007

                          Yea, but with Stratman, we should also include the following:

                          1.     Beware of cardboard refrigerator boxes, they don’t always make good sleds.

                          2.     If a cache owner tells you a cache is not up a tree… you don’t need to climb it, fall out of it, and pull down electrical cords in the process.

                          3.     Speaking of things electrical… don’t wizz on a barbwire fence… you won’t know there’s an electrical fence on the other side… until you awaken to see the paramedics looking down at you.

                          4.     Take your son with you… he can run faster to go get help.

                          There’s more, but I’m laughing so hard right now I can’t type anymore…. Stratman (Curtis) can add anything I’ve forgotten.

                          -Chris

                          GeoMire

                          The Loopy ½ of Tush Brothers Inc.