Re: Cub Scout Geocaching

  • maliabarth
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
      Another thing we did for our son's cub scout den was to do a
      geocaching activity on a weekend campout. We fixed up 10
      identical "goodie" bags, spending about $2 on each (a knit "beanie"
      hat ($1) since it was a winter campout, an 88c pocket knife (only to
      be used with adult permission), and a cheap whistle). We tried to
      have the items be scout or camping related. We hid 5 of the bags in
      spots, and took out 5 of the boys. Each boy got to lead the way one
      time, and at that point, it was their cache to find. They took the
      entire goodie bag. As the group left the spot, I hid another bag,
      and when we finished with one group, we took out another group and
      repeated the activity. That way, there was no bickering about the
      prizes, and everyone got a chance to lead and find a prize. The hats
      came in handy that night since it got below freezing! We were at a
      public campground, but there was only one other camping group out
      there that weekend.

      Before we took out the kids, we did a quick overview of how the GPSr
      works, and also about geocaching etiquette.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "seuss_fan2006"