Jeep TB etiquette

  • emmy_n_sapphie
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 22, 2007
      I let my Red Jeep TB out in the wild in Port A in July. It made it down
      to the Rio Gande Valley very quickly where the same cacher has logged
      in to & out of about a milion caches (well, more like 200, but it seems
      like a million). He never leaves it anywhere, he just logs it in and
      out of every single cache he has found since July. Some days I get 30+
      email notifications just about that one TB.

      So my question is, What the hell is he doing? Is that what some people
      do with TB, just log them in and out of dozens of caches without ever
      leaving tehm anywhere? Would it be appropriate for me to contact him
      and ask him very politely to leave it in a cache so others can enjoy
      it? Please advise - what he is doing is driving me crazy. But I don't
      want to step on any toes which I have a tendancy to do.

      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)
    • Jo Comer
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 22, 2007
        motx and I have had that experience with TBs, too, principally in Southeast TX.  The philosophy there seems to be to put "miles" on the TB rather than to share it with the next person.  They'll even claim to put it in a micro cache it couldn't possibly fit in and, of course, take it right "out" again.  It drives us a little nuts.  If you don't want that to continue, by all means send the person an e-mail request to leave it in one.  Good luck!  amick/jo

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
          As long as they're writing good logs, I *myself*, don't see a problem....

          Look at the posted rules, before fussing -- lest it turn into a my way or
          no way sort of thing.

          I mean, it's not stolen, it's moving -- I myself have taken a few TBs on
          road trips, with that specific thing in mind because it fit the bug's
          mission and style -- and that micro was in a really cool place and got a
          picture posted to the log. Then, when 'my' sub-mission for it was over,
          it was released again. Even had I written non-logs -- just the automatic
          drop and retrieve messages (but you know I didn't) -- that takes some
          effort on the TB's behalf -- and, CHECK the TB's page!!!!, because drop
          logs *have* to be edited -- so if information (like a Tygress log) has to
          be added, it's done as an edit, which you don't get automatically
          informed of -- a lapse in the system, imho, but I'm not
          coding/maintaining it.

          My moral here: proceed with CARE, because people may think they're doing
          you a favor (or nothing wrong), and if you get cross with them, it sparks
          bad feelings. Cautious, cautious language....

          Add to that thin, cracking ice: there's a bit of a difference with the
          Jeeps, because, technically, while we launched them and we're watching
          them, we don't 'own' them. Jeep does. The contest does. So puruse the
          Jeep TB rules before contacting them....
          As for sharing the fun of a Jeep -- in Central Texas this year there's
          been NO trick to encountering Jeeps from many years.

          The trick here is to understand, while you might hope for different
          results, because that's how *you* play the TB angle,
          a> is the behavior against the written rules (I mean, there are
          things like posting the tracking number or showing it in a picture, that
          people oughtn't do, but isn't self evident that they oughtn't);
          b> is the behavior against the TB's posted mission? (then a
          gentle nudge might be in place -- or if someone's had the bug for 6
          months or longer with no action you might want to contact them --
          whereupon you find out they broke their collar bone, but are grateful for
          the nudge and your well-wishes -- somebody in Geocaching MISSES me! (if
          you phrase it gently enough))
          c> once you release them, TBs are, frankly, completely out of
          your control, so try to accept their travails with a grain of salt. As
          long as they haven't disappeared entirely, be grateful. [Though all but a
          couple of mine that went AWOL showed up again -- I've been phenomenally
          lucky in that regard.]

          That is MY perspective on the TB game.

          You'll still need that and full retail to buy your latte, as it were
          (e.g. don't know that it's really worth anything)

          On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:14:21 -0700 (PDT) Jo Comer <jocomer@...>
          writes:
[...]

          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
          Life is a hard battle anyway, and if we laugh and sing a little as we
          fight the good fight of freedom, it makes it all go easier. --Sojourner
          Truth
        • Mary Beth Booth
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
            OK. It's not really getting miles on it because all the caches are right there near his home. But I will just grit my teeth & get 80 emails a day about it.
            MB

            @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
              Thanks for letting me know it's a SE Texas kind of thing. I don't really see the point, but I will just keep my mouth shut.

              Mary beth

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
                But it isn't YOUR Red Jeep TB.  TPTB mailed it to you for you to place in a cache for them.

                If you don't want 80 emails a day, take it off your watch list.  It's that simple.

                a.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
                  Mary Beth wrote:
                  OK. It's not really getting miles on it because all the caches are right there near his home. But I will just grit my teeth & get 80 emails a day about it.
                  MB

                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                  Well, he'll run out or get tired.
                  You could stop watching for a while if it's really too noxious.

                  I myself am very quick with the delete key, when need be.

                  =sympathy=

                  (sorry I'm not quoting the whole conversation, but something about your emailer, Mary Beth, makes html code that causes Juno to crash. Don't know what's up with that.... and it only dies when I try to reply with inclusion of your message. Don't worry, I just have to remember to click a button.)

                  BarbJ/Tygress
                • Mary Beth Booth
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
                    I have though of not watching it, but then If he ever lets it go & it actually travels somewhere, I wouldn't know.

                    But thanks to eevryone for the input both friendly and otherwise. It's especially interesting to know that it's a SE Texas kind of thing - the cultural geography aspect of geocaching again (which is always fascinating).

                    Mary Beth

                    (emmy-n-sapphie)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 23, 2007
                      Huh, I have a (what was it? the latest one...  red?) jeep tb that I put out for the contest.
                      I don't think I'm watching it because I have not got any emails about it...  I wonder
                      where I put it....  hhhmmmm.....

                      Barry

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 24, 2007
                        Sorry to drag this out, but I what to add a two cent comment. Take the TB off your watch list stoping your nurmous e-mails. In a month on so go to your profile and look at all the bug you move or discovered. In this case click on red jeeps if the cacher still has it leave it a lone. If not add it back to you watch list.
                      • Mary Booth
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                          Thanks for the tip.

                          MB

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                            On a side note (i.e. nothing to to do with Jeep tbs in
                            particular), it seems weird to me to count a tb as
                            being dropped in a cache that's too small to hold it.
                            I have a nanocache that currently lists two tb's.
                            Someone wrote to ask me where the tb's were (they
                            looked around the cache area). I thought it was a
                            mistake and wrote to the person who dropped them there
                            but he wrote back saying it was no mistake and that
                            they were "logged for miles". It just seems a bit
                            strange to me to list tb's in a nanocache!

                            I have a tb travelling that I asked to have its
                            picture taken with the cacher's stuffed animals. When
                            a cacher kept putting it in multiple caches to log
                            miles I had lots of miles but not a lot of pictures. I
                            finally asked them to leave it in a cache and they
                            gave it to a friend who then logged it in multiple
                            caches, too! (no pictures). For me, personally, it
                            would be more fun if it changed hands so my picture
                            archive could have grown. My preference that multiple
                            people move it didn't have to do with multiple e-mails
                            being problematic.

                            motx/Martha

                            http://tv.yahoo.com/
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007

                              I've been known to drop a TB into the cache closest to my house (a micro) for the miles, particularly if I'm about to take it out of state..  Thing is, you go to immediately grab it out again, otherwise it doesn't make sense.  Some people have a geocoin or personal TB that they log into and then remove from all the caches they find, which gives them a way of tracking their "personal miles".  Kind of neat but too much work for me . . . <G>

                              Russ the waterweasel

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                                Matthew and I have a roaming True Texas Cowboy coin in honor of his
                                brother (4 more will be released soon). His brother was
                                particularly fond of puzzles. Unfortunately most puzzles (at least
                                in this area; hey I'm guilty myself) end in a 35 mm or other micro
                                container that is too small for a large geocoin. So, I would
                                encourage the finders of the coin to "virtually" drop (which means
                                to drop it in and immediately take it back out; like Russ described)
                                the coin into any puzzle caches the geocacher encounters while in
                                possession of the coin. I would also encourage them to "virtually"
                                drop the coin in virtuals that are related to the description on the
                                coin's page. It just allows geocachers more ways to help us
                                remember/honor our brother.

                                This is just another reason we don't trap this game in a firm box of
                                rigid rules.

                                If you're not really interested in the mileage as much as the
                                pictures, make it clear on your cache page and be sure a
                                practical "mission sheet" is on all bugs you release so geocachers
                                know what you had in mind while they're in the field. A polite
                                message to geocachers who seem to have missed your TBs mission is
                                all you can really do to try to "control" it.

                                All in all you can't force geocachers to do exactly what you want.
                                Pictures are fantastic, but sadly, very rare. Too bad we can't award
                                bonus smilies to cachers who post a pic with the travel bug...

                                Keep hope alive, your TB will fall into the hands of an avid
                                photographer and you'll eventually populate your gallery with some
                                really great shots! :)

                                Audra Allen/semik

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "M.Schreffler"