Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Dead Dog

  • Hunter Arend
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
      O.K. , thats to freaking wierd. Let me know if you hear anything else.

      Later,
      "TikimanHSA" AKA Hunter Arend
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
        OK, very bad experience.
        BUT...
        I noticed that PrincessButtercup has only found 7 caches and if I
        remember correctly, there's a lot of tree cover out there on the
        hillside which is now covered with new springtime satelite blocking
        leaves. She might have been anywhere within a few hundred feet of the
        actual cache. It's probably still there. It's also probable that the
        dead dog in a bag has absolutley nothing to do with geocaching or
        geocachers. If I found something like that while mountain biking I
        wouldn't assume that there was some sick twisted single track rider
        responsible. I really doubt it has anything to do with geocaching
        other than unfortunate coincidence. Too bad an unusual experience
        scared her away. And even worse for the rest of us that she chose to
        tie it to geocaching when she "notified the authorities". This is NOT
        the kind of press we need. Hopefully whoever she talked to will
        realize that.

        But then again perhaps it was really just an ROUS that Wesley hadn't
        gotten around to disposing of yet.

        -Eoghan

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "dmcgauley" <hawkeye@c...> wrote:
        > Is there anyone who lives near my St. Edwards cache in NW Austin?
        > PrincessButtercup logged this today:
        >
        > "DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE!!!!!! It is NOT THERE ANYMORE but,
        there
        > is a BODYBAG with A dead dog in it, we have notified the
        authorities
        > and i am retiring from geocaching thanks to this weirdo/sicko out
        > there...I REPEAT, DO NOT GO THERE AND NEVER GO ANYWHERE
        > ALONE/UNARMED!!!!!!"
        >
        > VERY disturbing. I'm going to try to go by there sometime
        tomorrow,
        > but if this is accurate, it sure sounds like there some scary
        > directions this sport might be heading. I've always been scared of
        > booby-traps in caches just because I know eventually somebody is
        > going to want to ruin this sport.
        >
        > -Daniel
      • jnbarth
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
          I have to agree that there is a lot simpler explanation than a plot
          to freak out a geocacher.

          My bet is that a grieving dog owner decided to bury his beloved pet
          in the dog's favorite play area. He probably selected an area out of
          view of any paths and made a grave of a mound of rocks. He probably
          took great care to make sure the grave was not only well off the
          beaten path, but also well hidden. He would probably be just as
          upset as PrincessButtercup if he were to discover that someone
          playing a technogeek version of hide and seek had desicrated his dogs
          gave!

          I've been to this cache. The area above the cache fits the criteria
          perfectly. I approached this cache from above and my readings
          indicated I was close before the drop off, so if I'd spotted a
          carefully hidden URP up there, I'd have probably investigated it too.

          It's regreatable that she was so badly freightened, but lets keep an
          open mind and not blow this all out of proportion by assuming evil
          intent.
        • web_ling
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
            (Web-ling coming out of "Lurk Mode")

            And I thought I had weird stuff happen to my caches! (one washed
            away in a flood, another had a chain-link fence erected around it...)

            Glad Fido wasn't there when I visited the cache in February with my 3
            and 5 year olds. And my squeemish wife.

            Rich Wendling
            aka Web-ling