RE: From the Horse's Mouth: Garmin Maps, unlocking, updates

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
      Thank you for contacting Garmin.

      The maps can be expensive, but when you get into the GPS market for licensing data the price goes up from the vendors and that shows in end prices.  It seems a map would be a map in a lot of ways, but the market matters…routable, vector, load to a GPS, etc. all figure huge.

      As for the meat of your email (the second unit unlock), I personally agree with you.  No other GPS manufacturer has anything like that…Garmin was the only one…and I personally felt it was a nice selling point for some potential customers.  However, they did remove that.

      I will pass your feedback along.

      Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS.  Have you seen our online Map Viewer?  Preview the basic data in many of the MapSource products firsthand.

      Best regards,
      Loy

      Garmin International
      1200 E. 151st Street
      Olathe, KS ( USA )  66062
      http://www.garmin.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
        It wouldn't be so bad if the maps were anywhere near up to date.  There are roads in Georgetown that have been there over three years and still don't show up on City Navigator 2008.

        alex.

        At 02:23 PM 8/1/2007, you wrote:
        Thank you for contacting Garmin. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

        The maps can be expensive, but when you get into the GPS market for licensing data the price goes up from the vendors and that shows in end prices.  It seems a map would be a map in a lot of ways, but the market matters…routable, vector, load to a GPS, etc. all figure huge.

        As for the meat of your email (the second unit unlock), I personally agree with you.  No other GPS manufacturer has anything like that…Garmin was the only one…and I personally felt it was a nice selling point for some potential customers.  However, they did remove that.

        I will pass your feedback along.

        Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS.  Have you seen our online Map Viewer?  Preview the basic data in many of the MapSource products firsthand.

        http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

        Best regards,
        Loy
        mailto:cartography@...

        Garmin International
        <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />1200 E. 151st Street
        Olathe, KS (USA)  66062
        http://www.garmin.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
          Yes, as well as roads on the map that have not been there for more than a decade....

          mailto:cartography@ garmin.com

[...]

          bcwatson@yahoo. com

          Building a website is a piece of cake.

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
            So far I haven't found any updated roads in the Austin area. Has
            anyone seen anything new around here that would make it worth forking
            over the $75 to unlock the "update"?

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
            <alex@...> wrote:

            > It wouldn't be so bad if the maps were anywhere
            > near up to date. There are roads in Georgetown
            > that have been there over three years and still
            > don't show up on City Navigator 2008.
            >
            > alex.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
              It does show Escarpment going through to Slaughter and the new
              subdivision at the West end of Davies Lane. Not sure that's worth $70
              though.

              Garmin claim that many street and intersection names have been updated
              and corrected and that there are supposed to be 'hidden' improvements
              to the routing algorithms.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                When I got poked in the eye by a cedar branch during some night caching and had to rely on just one eye, the wife wanted me to go to the Emergency Room to get it looked at.  I remember telling her, "Look, either  it will get better or it won't.  Nothing I can do to change that now.  So let's get some more caches done before heading home...."   (I'm glad it got better...)

                I have heard similar stories about some of our central Texas geocaching buddies.  We ought to make this guy an honorary "Diehard Geocachers" club member...

                Barry
                aka Doc Geo

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                  Cacher Needs Maintenance Micro Geocoin in Plastic Flip
                  Black Nickel*

                  *One LE Gold Coin will be included with orders placed by cachers who document a caching related injury requiring medical treatment in the geocaching.com forum thread. Be sure to include your caching name in the comments field on the PayPal order page so it can be matched with your forum post.

                  And sure! he's one tough feller!
                  Crazy like us!

                  On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:39:21 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:
                  When I got poked in the eye by a cedar branch during some night caching and had to rely on just one eye, the wife wanted me to go to the Emergency Room to get it looked at.  I remember telling her, "Look, either  it will get better or it won't.  Nothing I can do to change that now.  So let's get some more caches done before heading home...."   (I'm glad it got better...)

                  I have heard similar stories about some of our central Texas geocaching buddies.  We ought to make this guy an honorary "Diehard Geocachers" club member...

                  Barry
                  aka Doc Geo

                  Suddenly, high above the crowd, Ralph thought, "I'm an old dog, and this is a new trick." --Gary Larsen; The Far Side
                • Renee
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007

                    LMAO!!!  Sign Candy/Moosiegirl up!!!  She’d for sure qualify…

                    I don’t think I’m eligible.  The only thing I have in my history even close to an injury is a case of PI.  And who here hasn’t had at least one of those?

                    Renee/zenfire ß deliriously tired and really should be in bed!

                    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:39:21 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@yahoo. com> writes:

                    When I got poked in the eye by a cedar branch during some night caching and had to rely on just one eye, the wife wanted me to go to the Emergency Room to get it looked at.  I remember telling her, "Look, either  it will get better or it won't.  Nothing I can do to change that now.  So let's get some more caches done before heading home...."   (I'm glad it got better...)

                    I have heard similar stories about some of our central Texas geocaching buddies.  We ought to make this guy an honorary "Diehard Geocachers" club member...

                    Barry

                    aka Doc Geo

                    @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @
                    Suddenly, high above the crowd, Ralph thought, "I'm an old dog, and this is a new trick." --Gary Larsen; The Far Side

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 15, 2007
                      wow, you haven't been in the green briar, have you? =g=

                      On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:51:12 -0500 "Renee" <zenfire@...> writes:

                      LMAO!!!  Sign Candy/Moosiegirl up!!!  She’d for sure qualify…

                      I don’t think I’m eligible.  The only thing I have in my history even close to an injury is a case of PI.  And who here hasn’t had at least one of those?

                      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                    • Candy Lind
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 18, 2007
                        Hey, I RESEMBLE that remark!! You can't sign me up, I already did. Got
                        5 coins, including the gold, and 5 pins. Gave one to Miss TC07 Gimp
                        Gigi&Jojo, too! LOL

                        Candy
                        moosiegirl

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Renee" <zenfire@...>
                        wrote:

                        > LMAO!!! Sign Candy/Moosiegirl up!!! She'd for sure qualify.

                        Jernigan
                        > Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:05 PM
                        > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Diehard geocachers (you know who
                        > are...)
                        > http://www.geocache <http://www.geocachealaska.org/coinsales/>
                        > alaska.org/coinsales/
                        >
                        > Cacher Needs Maintenance Micro Geocoin in Plastic Flip
                        > Black Nickel*
                      • Renee
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 18, 2007

                          LOL