Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Another 1K-er!

  • Jo Comer
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 29, 2007
      Brava, GiGi!  Cache on!  amick/jo

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: emmy_n_sapphie <mbb2001@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:45:46 PM
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Another 1K-er!

      Our own GiGi joined the big kids club - She found her 1000th cache
      yesterday! And I can say I knew her when she had never heard of
      geocaching. Congratulations Barbara!

      Mary Beth
      Proud to be one of her JoJo's (even if I refise to carry her rocks)

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
        Won't carry her rocks? Oh, what kind of JoJo are you?!? Why *my* minions
        even help me LOOK for good ones!

        Congrats, Barb!

        On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:45:46 -0000 "emmy_n_sapphie" <mbb2001@...>
        writes:
        > Our own GiGi joined the big kids club - She found her 1000th cache
        > yesterday! And I can say I knew her when she had never heard of
        > geocaching. Congratulations Barbara!
        >
        > Mary Beth
        > Proud to be one of her JoJo's (even if I refise to carry her rocks)

        @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
        You must have long range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short
        range failures. --Charles C. Noble
      • Mary Beth Booth
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
          A wimpy one.

          @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
            =gentle smile=
            No worries -- it takes all kinds....

            -------

            writes:
            > Our own GiGi joined the big kids club - She found her 1000th cache
            > yesterday! And I can say I knew her when she had never heard of
            > geocaching. Congratulations Barbara!
            >
            > Mary Beth
            > Proud to be one of her JoJo's (even if I refise to carry her rocks)

            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
            You must have long range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short
            range failures. --Charles C. Noble
          • Doc
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
              Congrats to you GiGi! Welcome to the club!

              Barry (a someday JoJo)
              aka Doc Geo

              emmy_n_sapphie <mbb2001@...> wrote:
              Our own GiGi joined the big kids club - She found her 1000th cache
              yesterday! And I can say I knew her when she had never heard of
              geocaching. Congratulations Barbara!

              Mary Beth
              Proud to be one of her JoJo's (even if I refise to carry her rocks)

            • A Allen (SEMIK)
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
                Congrats, Barbara!!!! Sorry I wasn't in town for the 1Kth, but the
                road there was challenging enough!! LOL! Matthew offers up his
                congrats as well!

                semik/Audra
                Yes, the one willing to carry the rocks!

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie"
                <mbb2001@...> wrote:

                > Our own GiGi joined the big kids club - She found her 1000th cache
                > yesterday! And I can say I knew her when she had never heard of
                > geocaching. Congratulations Barbara!
                >
                > Mary Beth
                > Proud to be one of her JoJo's (even if I refise to carry her rocks)

              • Karen aka Tropical Diva
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
                  ... does anyone else have issues with being "inconspicuous" in obtaining a "conspicuous" cache?  I hate going on to questionable territory to get a cache..... but as MCP says... "just act like you belong there and no one will notice"....     easier said than done!

                  Karen aka Tropical Diva

                  It has removed 2332 spam emails to date.
                  Try SPAMfighter for free now!
                • Julie Perrine
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
                    Hey Karen,
                    I don't think I ever said that, but I've said, "people are too lazy to care."  I've lifted skirts right in front of cars with people in them and they didn't even look up from what they're doing.  When somebody puts a skirt lifter at the door to the 24 hour WalMart and then says "act STEALTHY" well, exactly WHEN did they want me to grab it?

                    That may have been Wayne who said that about the acting like you belong there.  I think he carries around name tags that say "Official Lamppost Examiner," "Official Tree Inspector," "Official Bridge Structural Evaluation Team", etc. etc. etc.  He's got a "disguise"  and an M.O. for all situations!

                    Cheers,

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
                      lol.... should I have said "essiar said than done?"   =)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 30, 2007
                        No, it's not just you. I feel the same way quite often. One time in
                        a log, I remember posting something to the effect of the biggest part
                        of stealth is acting like you belong there. But, as you said, it's
                        easier said than done. There's a certain amount of risk involved in
                        chasing down urban caches in high-muggle locales. I'm sure some
                        people find that element of risk exhilarating. I haven't been in the
                        game very long, but I've already developed a preference for caches
                        that involve a degree of difficulty with respect to terrain as opposed
                        to high-traffic areas. Maybe that's something I can get over with
                        time and practice. I certainly hope so. On the bright side, there
                        are oodles of caches out there. Each cacher should have no difficulty
                        finding challenges that suit his or her individual tastes.

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Karen aka Tropical
                        Diva" <tropicaldiva@...> wrote:

                        > ... does anyone else have issues with being "inconspicuous" in
                        obtaining a
                        > "conspicuous" cache? I hate going on to questionable territory to get a
                        > cache..... but as MCP says... "just act like you belong there and no one
                        > will notice".... easier said than done!
                        >
                        > Karen aka Tropical Diva
                      • Barbara Dukette
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                          Hey Karen,

                          Have you ever noticed a middle-aged women standing around a parking lot like she's looking for something? If so, you probably responded: 1) by ignorning her , just in case she asks for your help, or (most likely) 2) you really didn't see her at all!

                          Or another senario: you're driving by an interesection and see a couple of people milling about. You react by: 1) locking your door, or 2) changing the radio station, or 3) you really didn't notice them at all.

                          See?  It's not really about the stealth, it's about no one really noticing, as Mrs. Captain Picard has so wisely said.

                          Barbara (GiGi and JoJo)

                          Karen aka Tropical Diva <tropicaldiva@...> wrote:
                          ... does anyone else have issues with being "inconspicuous" in obtaining a "conspicuous" cache?  I hate going on to questionable territory to get a cache..... but as MCP says... "just act like you belong there and no one will notice"....     easier said than done!

                          Karen aka Tropical Diva

                          It has removed 2332 spam emails to date.
                          Try SPAMfighter for free now!

                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                            You need the patented, handy-dandy, Lignumaqua 'InvisiCacher'. (Not
                            available in stores). Just $19.99 + P&P.

                            Well, actually it is available in stores and it's called a clipboard.
                            Carry a clipboard and you disappear from view completely.

                            I used one when I was walking around setting up 'Paved Paradise'. With
                            a clipboard you instantly become official and nobody even thinks of
                            challenging you. I've been asked if I was surveying - which is close
                            enough to the truth to answer, "Yes".

                            Mike

                            Diva" <tropicaldiva@...> wrote:

                            > ... does anyone else have issues with being "inconspicuous" in
                            obtaining a
                            > "conspicuous" cache? I hate going on to questionable territory to get a
                            > cache..... but as MCP says... "just act like you belong there and no one
                            > will notice".... easier said than done!
                            >
                            > Karen aka Tropical Diva
                            >
                            > _____

                            > It has removed 2332 spam emails to date.
                            > Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> for free now!

                          • Karen aka Tropical Diva
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                              How funny....  when I see someone acting like they are looking for something the first thing I do is check to see if they have a GPSr in their hand.... really!!!

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007

                                href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len">http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len> for free now!

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                                  Same here!

[...]

                                  Got a little couch potato?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                                    LOL!!!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                                      Karen aka Tropical Diva <tropicaldiva@ austin.rr. com> wrote:
                                      How funny....  when I see someone acting like they are looking for something the first thing I do is check to see if they have a GPSr in their hand.... really!!!

                                      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                      That's because you've been initiated into the Secret Society. =g=
                                      Our code greeting is, of course, "Found it yet?"

                                    • Renee
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007

                                        As another proud JoJo I must give my congrats as well!

                                        Renee/zenfire

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 31, 2007
                                            Would you do it any other way? I mean... Mike even provided something for you to put on it! My clipboard is one of those that you can open up and store things inside, so after I finished Paved Paradise, I took the sheet off and put it inside to remember the day. I'm a paperless cacher, but sometimes I miss having that piece of paper that was actually there... with notes, mud, and general wear and tear that remind me that I actually did something.

                                            --Lee
                                            "Suchmann"