From the Horse's Mouth: Garmin Maps, unlocking, updates

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2007
      I am posting the email I sent to Garmin and the Cartography Dept's reply for those of you who are interested in helping change Garmin's mind about their map pricing strategies. If they receive enough letters with specifics on how much we have already invested in their company, maybe they will decide some kind of customer loyalty reward or discount or package price is in order.

      Candy

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007
        I already sent my nasty letter to Garmin and received an apologetic response from them, but no indication that they would be changing their minds - so keep sending in those letters.

        Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike

        mailto:cartography@ garmin.com

[...]

        Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007
          Sent mine in too...   We have 4 Garmins....

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2007
            I didn't email a letter yet, but I will get it going soon.

            I guess no one saw my post #22384 on 07/02/2007 about this same
            topic. At that time I did not have any specific person to write my
            complaint to.
            I have been told by Garmin tech support that Garmin will only allow
            ONE unlock map code per software purchase as of July 1, 2007.
            Previously you were allowed TWO unlock codes per software purchase.

            Also the newest Map release will be the last week of July 2007.
            Proposed name to be City Navigator V9.

            Maybe if enough geocachers email their concerns to Garmin about
            limiting one unlock code per purchase, maybe they will go back to two
            unlock codes. I know that several cachers have two units and now it
            will be twice the price to upgrade maps. I told the tech support that
            they may lose many new map sales.

            Matthew

            <candylind@...> wrote:

            > I am posting the email I sent to Garmin and the Cartography Dept's
            reply for those of you who are interested in helping change Garmin's
            mind about their map pricing strategies. If they receive enough
            letters with specifics on how much we have already invested in their
            company, maybe they will decide some kind of customer loyalty reward
            or discount or package price is in order.

            > Candy

          • Perrine, Julie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2007

              Being a Garmin stockholder, I complained to Investor Relations.

              This isn’t really helpful, but I also suggested that they just go ahead and pre-load the software onto each unit if they’re going to require one software purchase to one hardware purchase.  That way, you won’t feel so bad that you’re having to buy something separate, and they might feel a bit of pricing pressure if they were selling it as one.

              Julie Perrine

              AMD Sales Finance

              512.602.7190

              --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Candy Lind"
              <candylind@. ..> wrote:

              > I am posting the email I sent to Garmin and the Cartography Dept's
              reply for those of you who are interested in helping change Garmin's
              mind about their map pricing strategies. If they receive enough
              letters with specifics on how much we have already invested in their
              company, maybe they will decide some kind of customer loyalty reward
              or discount or package price is in order.

              > Candy

              ( USA ) 66062
              > http://www.garmin. com

              ------------

            • Doc

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2007
                  Dunno... Wayne followed US that stretch yesterday =g=

                  Improved algorithms? LOL.
                  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=08573366-24ad-4d69-8721-221d
                  9e534f63

                  On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 04:57:07 -0000 "Mike"
                  <geocaching@...> writes:
                  > It does show Escarpment going through to Slaughter and the new
                  > subdivision at the West end of Davies Lane. Not sure that's worth
                  > $70
                  > though.
                  >
                  > Garmin claim that many street and intersection names have been
                  > updated
                  > and corrected and that there are supposed to be 'hidden'
                  > improvements
                  > to the routing algorithms.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > So far I haven't found any updated roads in the Austin area. Has
                  > > anyone seen anything new around here that would make it worth
                  > forking
                  > > over the $75 to unlock the "update"?

                  Suddenly, high above the crowd, Ralph thought, "I'm an old dog, and this
                  is a new trick." --Gary Larsen; The Far Side