"Get Out More" backpacker talk & freebies

  • emmy_n_sapphie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
      The south (Westgate) Whole Earth Provisions store is having their
      annual "Get Out More" backpacking tour tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm.
      This couple who spends most of the year hiking & camping for
      Backpacker magazine gives the presentation which will cover
      dayhiking, overnight hiking, backpacking, gear, fitness, meal
      planning and more in their hour-long presentation. There are lots of
      freebies and door prizes. Last year we got t-shirts, carabiners, and
      hiking socks, plus we each won a door pize (a camping pillow & a huge
      supply of PI stuff). They also have "light refreshments". We really
      learned a lot about new equipment & hiking tips. Plus they are
      entertaining.

      And the best part is, it's all free. That might fit your budget a
      little better BigGP [:)].

      Here's the link for more info:
      http://www.wholeearthprovision.com/calendar.html#koch

      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)
      Disclaimer: I don't work for or hold stock in Whole Earth Provisions.
      I just live with the "Queen of Free & Cheap" who finds free things
      like this for us to do all the time.
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
        Why does so much good stuff have to happen "this" weekend?!  This is my last weekend of my benchmark hunting contest.  The guy who was in first (and who I just passed up by 13 points) just went out this last weekend and got over a hundred more....   I will be hitting Houston big time this weekend, but I know he'll be back out also.  I'm not sure I can take 1st place now, but I'm going to try....   This last weekend hurt my chances with the rain and me having to work on Saturday and Monday (while he was out hunting....)

        To see the standings, go to the Forums on gc.com and click on the Benchmark Hunting forum, then on Contest Standings topic.  The latest standings are at the bottom.

        To see what benchmarks have been entered since the last standings were published, do the same as the last paragraph, but go to "The Contest Logging Thread" topic instead and go to the last page, then to the bottom and then scroll up....

        The contest rules, point values, etc. are on the "The Contest is afoot" thread.

        Barry

        emmy_n_sapphie <mbb2001@...> wrote:
[...]

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Mary Beth Booth
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
          Good luck - hope you win, especially after enduring severe PI for the cause.
          MB

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
            Good Thinks! Good Hunting!!!!

            On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:42:35 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:
[...]

            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
            Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. --Soren Kierkegaard
          • Perrine, Julie
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007

              We’re cheering for you!    Make Texas proud!

              Julie Perrine

              AMD Sales Finance

              512.602.7190

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
                Thanks for the good wishes....
                I have written a macro in GSAK to flag all the benchmarks that I have found, could not find (don't want to revisit those) and those whose last log were "Not Found" or were "Found before 1997".    Then I'm left with benchmarks that I have a good chance of finding....
                So with that, I hope to get some good numbers this weekend...  we'll see....

                I might just head out tonight so I can get a room and start off early....

                Barry

                Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:
                Good Thinks! Good Hunting!!!!

                On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:42:35 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@yahoo. com> writes:
[...]

                @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @
                Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. --Soren Kierkegaard

                always stay connected to friends.

              • Jack Glantzberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Hey, that's only 4 miles from where I live. Good for the gas budget
                  too! Sounds fun. I'll be there.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007

                    LOL!  You sound like me, Barry!  When the guy ahead of me on the world list had quadruple bypass surgery, I wrote him an “eat my dust” email, jokingly of course!  He recovered enough to go to GeoWoodstock this year, so I can’t be slacking off.  I’m at 17 in the world right now, and I can vouch for how fun it is to see the guy in front of you fall!  (off a cliff, preferably!)

                    JUST KIDDING OF COURSE (UH HUH!)

                    I have written a macro in GSAK to flag all the benchmarks that I have found, could not find (don't want to revisit those) and those whose last log were "Not Found" or were "Found before 1997".    Then I'm left with benchmarks that I have a good chance of finding....

                    So with that, I hope to get some good numbers this weekend...  we'll see....

                    I might just head out tonight so I can get a room and start off early....

                    ,___

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Hide the phasers.....

                      On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:19:34 -0500 "Perrine, Julie" <julie.perrine@...> writes:

                      LOL!  You sound like me, Barry!  When the guy ahead of me on the world list had quadruple bypass surgery, I wrote him an “eat my dust” email, jokingly of course!  He recovered enough to go to GeoWoodstock this year, so I can’t be slacking off.  I’m at 17 in the world right now, and I can vouch for how fun it is to see the guy in front of you fall!  (off a cliff, preferably!)

                      JUST KIDDING OF COURSE (UH HUH!)

                      Julie

                    • Doc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
                        I am...  (When I want to....)   But seriously, he is almost 100 over me now.  That means I will have to get about 200 this weekend and I've never come close that rate yet.  So, had to see what I could get out of a GSAK macro to help me out some....

                        The real points is when you find one that a previous person logged DNF though....
                        Or they logged the wrong one...

                        So, in going after ones I'm sure will be there, will mean that I will have to get lots more.  But I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for one that a previous person couldn't find only to find there was a good reason, like it was destroyed...

                        I think I will leave for Houston this evening, do some recoveries and then get a room w/internet so I can log them and then get up before sun up to an 18+hour day.  Go back to the room and then do as many Sunday as I can before I have to head for home and get them all logged in...

                        Vive le competicion!

                        "Perrine, Julie" <julie.perrine@...> wrote:
                        LOL!  You sound like me, Barry!  When the guy ahead of me on the world list had quadruple bypass surgery, I wrote him an “eat my dust” email, jokingly of course!  He recovered enough to go to GeoWoodstock this year, so I can’t be slacking off.  I’m at 17 in the world right now, and I can vouch for how fun it is to see the guy in front of you fall!  (off a cliff, preferably!)
                        JUST KIDDING OF COURSE (UH HUH!)
                        I have written a macro in GSAK to flag all the benchmarks that I have found, could not find (don't want to revisit those) and those whose last log were "Not Found" or were "Found before 1997".    Then I'm left with benchmarks that I have a good chance of finding....
                        So with that, I hope to get some good numbers this weekend...  we'll see....
                        I might just head out tonight so I can get a room and start off early....
                        ,___

                        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                      • Perrine, Julie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007

                          So, How’d it go?

                          Julie Perrine

                          AMD Sales Finance

                          512.602.7190

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                            The scores haven't been totaled yet... but I don't think I even got 100 for the whole weekend...   lots of missing benchmarks eating up my time....   those darn logo caps are really hard to find...

                            "Perrine, Julie" <julie.perrine@...> wrote:
                            So, How’d it go?
                            Julie Perrine
                            AMD Sales Finance
                            512.602.7190

                            I have written a macro in GSAK to flag all the benchmarks that I have found, could not find (don't want to revisit those) and those whose last log were "Not Found" or were "Found before 1997".    Then I'm left with benchmarks that I have a good chance of finding....
                            So with that, I hope to get some good numbers this weekend...  we'll see....
                            I might just head out tonight so I can get a room and start off early....
                            ,___

                            Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                            in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                            to find your fit.