Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Auto mounts for Garmin 60 series--what works?

  • Julie Perrine
    Message 1 of 22 , May 29 4:14 AM
      Hi Lee,

      I own four types of Garmin mounts and here is my opinion on them.  First, I began using Garmin mounts with my Vista, and since the 60 series uses the same mechanism, I just continued with those mounts when I got my 60 because I had the parts for the bike, the car, etc. etc.

      First, my #1 mount is the dashboard stick on mount, and I love it.  I'm doing to have that car for a long time, and I need a mount that is permanent, so I bit the bullet and stuck it down.  If someone told you that the GPS is hard to remove, that's because they aren't aware that you can use it two ways.  For when you're in and out of the car, you "set" the GPS in the mount and it's easy to grab and take it with you.  When you're on a bike or going down bumpy roads or such, you can "snap in" your GPS to the mount.  Then, to get it out, you just press the tab and lift it out.  The only time I ever snap it in is when I'm on my bicycle.  I'm really happy with my dashboard mount.

      When my car was new, I THOUGHT I didn't want to stick something down and I bought their bean bag mount.  This works ok, and I use it often when I travel, but it does wiggle a little and not all cars have dashboards wide enough to hold it.  I don't recommend this as a permanent car solution, but it's good for travel.  The mechanism works the same as I described above, set in/snap in.

      The suction mount doesn't work well with the 60 series because most vehicles windshields are at the wrong angle and the unit is too tall and it just doesn't fit.  It worked find with my Vista which is shorter.  It's more flexible than they told you, but I don't recommend it for the 60 series at all.  I made mine work because I canibalized pieces from my other mounts so extend the arm so my unit would fit.  It's a hassle.

      The bike mount is great.  Just be sure you always snap in!

      If your dashboard is wide, you could get along with the beanbag mount.  If not, I recommend the dashboard mount.

      That's my two cents!

      On 5/28/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@...> wrote:

      I have created a rather nice problem for myself by acquiring a Garmin 60 series GPSr. Now I need to find a functional mount for the car. I know a lot of you use these units... How do you mount yours in your car? I would be honored to benefit from your experience. :)

      I read a review somewhere saying that Garmin's suction cup windshield mount doesn't swivel left and right, and that it is hard to get the unit out of the mount. Do any of you own this mount, and can you confirm or deny these reports? Or does anyone have a different suction cup mount that they like?

      The "air vent" mount doesn't seem like a good idea to me... doesn't look like it swivels for the best viewing angle, and seems like it could damage the air vent. But it puts the receiver in a good spot: not too low, but not blocking your view. Seems like the Tush Brothers may use one of these.

      The "cup holder" mount isn't a good option for either vehicle I drive: too low, and too far back.

      Sticking something to the dashboard would not be my first choice, but if any of you have experience with an adjustable, easy-in and easy-out dashboard mount, I'd like to know about it.

      Lee
      "Suchmann"

    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 22 , May 29 4:38 AM
        I messed around with Garmin mounts (sticker, bean bag, etc.) but I
        found them to be lacking. Moreover, I thought the retention chassis
        was just manufactured too poorly; I felt like I was going to break it
        at any moment while inserting or removing my GPSr.

        Be that as it may, I have been hot to get a RAM mount for my 60CS.
        Wayne and Candy have RAM mounts, and they look like little perfect,
        rugged monsters. I want one. The problem is, theyre not available in
        a brick-and-mortar store that I know of. And I have been too lazy to
        mail-order. :)

        Google 'garmin ram mount' and youll see what I am talking about. I am
        sure others in the group can attest to the RAM as being great or junk.
        What say you?

        On 5/28/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@...> wrote:

        > I have created a rather nice problem for myself by acquiring a Garmin 60 series GPSr. Now I need to find a functional mount for the car. I know a lot of you use these units... How do you mount yours in your car? I would be honored to benefit from your experience. :)
        >
        > I read a review somewhere saying that Garmin's suction cup windshield mount doesn't swivel left and right, and that it is hard to get the unit out of the mount. Do any of you own this mount, and can you confirm or deny these reports? Or does anyone have a different suction cup mount that they like?
        >
        > The "air vent" mount doesn't seem like a good idea to me... doesn't look like it swivels for the best viewing angle, and seems like it could damage the air vent. But it puts the receiver in a good spot: not too low, but not blocking your view. Seems like the Tush Brothers may use one of these.
        >
        > The "cup holder" mount isn't a good option for either vehicle I drive: too low, and too far back.
        >
        > Sticking something to the dashboard would not be my first choice, but if any of you have experience with an adjustable, easy-in and easy-out dashboard mount, I'd like to know about it.
        >
        > Lee
        > "Suchmann"
      • Julie Perrine
        Message 3 of 22 , May 29 4:49 AM
          Rebuttal!  Nothing on my Garmin mounts has ever broken. In 5 years of "fairly heavy" use.  LOL!  Again, I use the "set in" process and I keep the "cradle" on the back of my unit and just set it and lift it off the base.  Some people leave their cradle snapped in and lift the unit in and out.

          I'll let the RAM fans speak for themselves.

          There aren't any events on the calendar, but the next time we have an event, anyone who wants to see what I use and how it works is welcome to meet me in the parking lot!

          On 5/29/07, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...> wrote:

          I messed around with Garmin mounts (sticker, bean bag, etc.) but I
          found them to be lacking. Moreover, I thought the retention chassis
          was just manufactured too poorly; I felt like I was going to break it
          at any moment while inserting or removing my GPSr.

          Be that as it may, I have been hot to get a RAM mount for my 60CS.
          Wayne and Candy have RAM mounts, and they look like little perfect,
          rugged monsters. I want one. The problem is, theyre not available in
          a brick-and-mortar store that I know of. And I have been too lazy to
          mail-order. :)

          Google 'garmin ram mount' and youll see what I am talking about. I am
          sure others in the group can attest to the RAM as being great or junk.
          What say you?

          On 5/28/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@...> wrote:

          > I have created a rather nice problem for myself by acquiring a Garmin 60 series GPSr. Now I need to find a functional mount for the car. I know a lot of you use these units... How do you mount yours in your car? I would be honored to benefit from your experience. :)
          >
          > I read a review somewhere saying that Garmin's suction cup windshield mount doesn't swivel left and right, and that it is hard to get the unit out of the mount. Do any of you own this mount, and can you confirm or deny these reports? Or does anyone have a different suction cup mount that they like?
          >
          > The "air vent" mount doesn't seem like a good idea to me... doesn't look like it swivels for the best viewing angle, and seems like it could damage the air vent. But it puts the receiver in a good spot: not too low, but not blocking your view. Seems like the Tush Brothers may use one of these.
          >
          > The "cup holder" mount isn't a good option for either vehicle I drive: too low, and too far back.
          >
          > Sticking something to the dashboard would not be my first choice, but if any of you have experience with an adjustable, easy-in and easy-out dashboard mount, I'd like to know about it.
          >
          > Lee
          > "Suchmann"

        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 22 , May 29 5:11 AM
            On 5/29/07, Julie Perrine <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:
            > Rebuttal! Nothing on my Garmin mounts has ever broken. In 5 years of "fairly heavy" use. LOL! Again, I use the "set in" process and I keep the "cradle" on the back of my unit and just set it and lift it off the base. Some people leave their cradle snapped in and lift the unit in and out.

            Maybe thats it. I attempted to remove the unit from the cradle on
            each hop out of the car. I grew tired of that _real quickly_.

            Too bad I sold off those Garmin-branded mounts. :/

            Any RAM fans want to weigh in? Maybe convince me to pop for one? :P
            Message 5 of 22 , May 29 5:41 AM
              Barb (The Tygress) and I also use RAM mounts for our Gramin 60s.  Suction cup to windshield, goose neck about 8-10 inches long, open mount the the 60 just crops into and stays secure (don't try this on a bike, though!!).

              Russ the waterweasel

              On 5/28/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@onr. com> wrote:

              > I have created a rather nice problem for myself by acquiring a Garmin 60 series GPSr. Now I need to find a functional mount for the car. I know a lot of you use these units... How do you mount yours in your car? I would be honored to benefit from your experience. :)
              >
              > I read a review somewhere saying that Garmin's suction cup windshield mount doesn't swivel left and right, and that it is hard to get the unit out of the mount. Do any of you own this mount, and can you confirm or deny these reports? Or does anyone have a different suction cup mount that they like?
              >
              > The "air vent" mount doesn't seem like a good idea to me... doesn't look like it swivels for the best viewing angle, and seems like it could damage the air vent. But it puts the receiver in a good spot: not too low, but not blocking your view. Seems like the Tush Brothers may use one of these.
              >
              > The "cup holder" mount isn't a good option for either vehicle I drive: too low, and too far back.
              >
              > Sticking something to the dashboard would not be my first choice, but if any of you have experience with an adjustable, easy-in and easy-out dashboard mount, I'd like to know about it.
              >
              > Lee
              > "Suchmann"

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 22 , May 29 5:49 AM
                I've been a RAM fan for years. I use them for my gps

                http://www.alancurry.com/pics/gps.jpg

                and my MP3 player

                http://www.alancurry.com/pics/archoscar.jpg
                http://www.alancurry.com/pics/archosmounted.jpg

                Message 7 of 22 , May 29 6:17 AM
                  I can't speak for any other brands, because we're happy with our first choice.

                  We use the RAM mount on a suction cup. We prefer the gooseneck to the ball mount, but people use ball mounts just fine.
                  The gooseneck allows for finer adjustments imho ymmd
                  The cradle is easy in, easy out -- but secure when in place.

                  The only caveat is that the suction will let go when the windshield undergoes a temperature change -- but that's usually over night, not when in use.

                  Cabelas sometimes has the RAM mounts (RAM is the brand) in the right size.... we got our first set from gpscity.com.

                  The other thing about RAM is that they're all interchangeable. So when we changed from Vistas to 60s, all we had to replace were the cradles -- three little screws.

                  On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:12:36 -0500 "Lee Dedear" <ldedear@...> writes:
[...]

                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                  Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. --Soren Kierkegaard
                • Terry Carter
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 29 6:17 AM
                    Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Auto mounts for Garmin 60 series--what works?

                      I can address a couple of the questions that popped up.
                      I tool Julie up on her offer and checked out how she has her Garmin mounted in her car.
                      TreB used the Ram mount and I checked it out. It's personal taste now that you've seen a couple of mounts.
                      Cabellas has both mounts in a brick and mortar store that you can put your hands on.
                      I opted for the Garmin mount just because of cost and bulkiness (just a personal opinion). I also got it in winshield suction style.
                      I found a cool little trick for those slanted windshields - ya just turn the mount upside down and it changes the angle that it meets the windshield. I ought to add that I figured this out and THEN read the directions.... Doh! I also found that if I attached it at a bit of a slant (counter clockwise) that it tips the unit really nicely to avoid glare for the driver)
                      I also clip mine in fully all the way each time (I'm just AR I guess) but I've got prety good at flicking the lock mechanism in the back to pop it out.
                      Terry

                    On 5/28/07, Lee Dedear <ldedear@... <mailto:ldedear@...> > wrote:

[...]

                    The information contained in this transmission is confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or organization(s) to whom it is addressed. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum Corporation. Furthermore, Quantum Corporation is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
                  • Don Robertson
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 29 7:51 AM
                      I am still in the old days using an Garmin Etrex Vista. I mounted it on
                      my dash with an old phone mount that I got either at Radio Shack or
                      Flying J. Mine is screwed to the dash and has a swivel arm and about 10
                      degrees of freedom. This phone holder was designed for many sizes
                      (width's) of phones and you squeeze the sides to clamp the phone/GPS in
                      place.

                      --
                      Don Robertson - Shellback
                      Wandering America's backroads.
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 29 8:56 AM
                        Well - you learn something new every day!

                        I've been using the Garmin dashboard stick-on mount for three years
                        (and two different cars - it peels off fine when you want it to) and
                        two different GPS units - a 60CS and now a 60CSx.

                        I never realized in all that time, and many hundreds of uses, that the
                        'cradle' was removable from the mount much less that there was a 'drop
                        in' mode as well! I've been snapping the GPS into and out of the
                        cradle every time. Somebody just posted that they'd got used to
                        pressing the catch on the rear. What catch on the rear? I only know
                        about the catch on the bottom - let's check - Oh THAT catch on the
                        rear, D'ohhh!

                        So Julie - there aren't two ways to put your GPS in this thing, there
                        are THREE ways. The two ways you describe (neither of which I'd seen)
                        and the hard way I've been using! :-)

                        On the plus side I am really good at snapping the GPS into and out of
                        the cradle and have never had anything break. In fact I might keep on
                        doing it this way because I really don't want to carry the cradle
                        around on the GPS - I'll only lose it.

                        Mike

                        <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Lee,
                        >
                        > I own four types of Garmin mounts and here is my opinion on them.
                        First, I
                        > began using Garmin mounts with my Vista, and since the 60 series
                        uses the
                        > same mechanism, I just continued with those mounts when I got my 60
                        because
                        > I had the parts for the bike, the car, etc. etc.
                        >
                        > First, my #1 mount is the dashboard stick on mount, and I love it. I'm
                        > doing to have that car for a long time, and I need a mount that is
                        > permanent, so I bit the bullet and stuck it down. If someone told
                        you that
                        > the GPS is hard to remove, that's because they aren't aware that you
                        can use
                        > it two ways. For when you're in and out of the car, you "set" the
                        GPS in
                        > the mount and it's easy to grab and take it with you. When you're
                        on a bike
                        > or going down bumpy roads or such, you can "snap in" your GPS to the
                        mount.
                        > Then, to get it out, you just press the tab and lift it out. The
                        only time
                        > I ever snap it in is when I'm on my bicycle. I'm really happy with my
                        > dashboard mount.
                        >
                        > When my car was new, I THOUGHT I didn't want to stick something down
                        and I
                        > bought their bean bag mount. This works ok, and I use it often when I
                        > travel, but it does wiggle a little and not all cars have dashboards
                        wide
                        > enough to hold it. I don't recommend this as a permanent car
                        solution, but
                        > it's good for travel. The mechanism works the same as I described
                        above,
                        > set in/snap in.
                        >
                        > The suction mount doesn't work well with the 60 series because most
                        vehicles
                        > windshields are at the wrong angle and the unit is too tall and it just
                        > doesn't fit. It worked find with my Vista which is shorter. It's more
                        > flexible than they told you, but I don't recommend it for the 60
                        series at
                        > all. I made mine work because I canibalized pieces from my other
                        mounts so
                        > extend the arm so my unit would fit. It's a hassle.
                        >
                        > The bike mount is great. Just be sure you always snap in!
                        >
                        > If your dashboard is wide, you could get along with the beanbag
                        mount. If
                        > not, I recommend the dashboard mount.
                        >
                        > That's my two cents!
                        >
                        > Julie
                        > Mrs. Captain Picard

                      • Perrine, Julie
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 29 9:01 AM

                          Yes, three ways, but I never take the cradle off, so I don’t think about the third way.  I’ve never had the cradle come off by itself.  When you leave it on, it’s so simple to use the “set in” mode!  That’s what works best for me.

                          Julie Perrine

                          AMD Sales Finance

                          512.602.7190

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Julie Perrine"
                          <mrscaptainpicard@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Lee,
                          >
                          > I own four types of Garmin mounts and here is my opinion on them.
                          First, I
                          > began using Garmin mounts with my Vista ,
                          and since the 60 series
                          uses the
                          > same mechanism, I just continued with those mounts when I got my 60
                          because
                          > I had the parts for the bike, the car, etc. etc.
                          >
                          > First, my #1 mount is the dashboard stick on mount, and I love it. I'm
                          > doing to have that car for a long time, and I need a mount that is
                          > permanent, so I bit the bullet and stuck it down. If someone told
                          you that
                          > the GPS is hard to remove, that's because they aren't aware that you
                          can use
                          > it two ways. For when you're in and out of the car, you "set"
                          the
                          GPS in
                          > the mount and it's easy to grab and take it with you. When you're
                          on a bike
                          > or going down bumpy roads or such, you can "snap in" your GPS to
                          the
                          mount.
                          > Then, to get it out, you just press the tab and lift it out. The
                          only time
                          > I ever snap it in is when I'm on my bicycle. I'm really happy with my
                          > dashboard mount.
                          >
                          > When my car was new, I THOUGHT I didn't want to stick something down
                          and I
                          > bought their bean bag mount. This works ok, and I use it often when I
                          > travel, but it does wiggle a little and not all cars have dashboards
                          wide
                          > enough to hold it. I don't recommend this as a permanent car
                          solution, but
                          > it's good for travel. The mechanism works the same as I described
                          above,
                          > set in/snap in.
                          >
                          > The suction mount doesn't work well with the 60 series because most
                          vehicles
                          > windshields are at the wrong angle and the unit is too tall and it just
                          > doesn't fit. It worked find with my Vista
                          which is shorter. It's more
                          > flexible than they told you, but I don't recommend it for the 60
                          series at
                          > all. I made mine work because I canibalized pieces from my other
                          mounts so
                          > extend the arm so my unit would fit. It's a hassle.
                          >
                          > The bike mount is great. Just be sure you always snap in!
                          >
                          > If your dashboard is wide, you could get along with the beanbag
                          mount. If
                          > not, I recommend the dashboard mount.
                          >
                          > That's my two cents!
                          >
                          > Julie
                          > Mrs. Captain Picard

                        • Scott Leake
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 29 2:40 PM
                            I also use a RAM dash mount. I started with the suction cup mount,and
                            did not like it. I bought a RAM surface mount "ball", attached the
                            cradle, and mounted it directly to the dash. I just "set" the 60c in
                            the cradle,and it stays put,without snaping the back. The low profile
                            of this mounting keep it out of the way,and allows me to attach a
                            power cord from the nearby power outlet. It has only "jumped" out of
                            the cradle once....but it was my fault...I jumped through a median in
                            my 4X4 Dodge Truck,in the rain, near Houston (chasing a cache of
                            course),and kinda launched onto the other side of the road a little
                            hard :)(Ex-cop flash-back)LOL! In any case,the RAM seems to fit the
                            bill.....

                            Scott
                            "Scott&Judy"
                          • Lee Dedear
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 29 5:18 PM
                              Thanks so much for all the helpful advice! Actually, I figured it would be
                              this way... how could I lose, asking such a big group of such nice folks
                              with so many thousand caches worth of experience? I didn't know about the
                              RAM mounts at all, and was glad to be set straight on the quality and
                              usability of Garmin's mounts. You wrote a great essay, Julie. Maybe at one
                              of your next events we could have a tricked-out mount contest.

                              Thanks again!

                              --Lee
                              "Suchmann"