Dead Dog

  • dmcgauley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
      Is there anyone who lives near my St. Edwards cache in NW Austin?
      PrincessButtercup logged this today:

      "DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE!!!!!! It is NOT THERE ANYMORE but, there
      is a BODYBAG with A dead dog in it, we have notified the authorities
      and i am retiring from geocaching thanks to this weirdo/sicko out
      there...I REPEAT, DO NOT GO THERE AND NEVER GO ANYWHERE
      ALONE/UNARMED!!!!!!"

      VERY disturbing. I'm going to try to go by there sometime tomorrow,
      but if this is accurate, it sure sounds like there some scary
      directions this sport might be heading. I've always been scared of
      booby-traps in caches just because I know eventually somebody is
      going to want to ruin this sport.

      -Daniel
    • Hunter Arend
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
        O.K. , thats to freaking wierd. Let me know if you hear anything else.

        Later,
        "TikimanHSA" AKA Hunter Arend
        > Is there anyone who lives near my St. Edwards cache in NW Austin?
        > PrincessButtercup logged this today:
        >
        > "DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE!!!!!! It is NOT THERE ANYMORE but, there
        > is a BODYBAG with A dead dog in it, we have notified the authorities
        > and i am retiring from geocaching thanks to this weirdo/sicko out
        > there...I REPEAT, DO NOT GO THERE AND NEVER GO ANYWHERE
        > ALONE/UNARMED!!!!!!"
        >
        > VERY disturbing. I'm going to try to go by there sometime tomorrow,
        > but if this is accurate, it sure sounds like there some scary
        > directions this sport might be heading. I've always been scared of
        > booby-traps in caches just because I know eventually somebody is
        > going to want to ruin this sport.
        >
        > -Daniel

      • eoghan01
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
          OK, very bad experience.
          BUT...
          I noticed that PrincessButtercup has only found 7 caches and if I
          remember correctly, there's a lot of tree cover out there on the
          hillside which is now covered with new springtime satelite blocking
          leaves. She might have been anywhere within a few hundred feet of the
          actual cache. It's probably still there. It's also probable that the
          dead dog in a bag has absolutley nothing to do with geocaching or
          geocachers. If I found something like that while mountain biking I
          wouldn't assume that there was some sick twisted single track rider
          responsible. I really doubt it has anything to do with geocaching
          other than unfortunate coincidence. Too bad an unusual experience
          scared her away. And even worse for the rest of us that she chose to
          tie it to geocaching when she "notified the authorities". This is NOT
          the kind of press we need. Hopefully whoever she talked to will
          realize that.

          But then again perhaps it was really just an ROUS that Wesley hadn't
          gotten around to disposing of yet.

          -Eoghan

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "dmcgauley" <hawkeye@c...> wrote:
          > Is there anyone who lives near my St. Edwards cache in NW Austin?
          > PrincessButtercup logged this today:
          >
          > "DO NOT LOOK FOR THIS CACHE!!!!!! It is NOT THERE ANYMORE but,
          there
          > is a BODYBAG with A dead dog in it, we have notified the
          authorities
          > and i am retiring from geocaching thanks to this weirdo/sicko out
          > there...I REPEAT, DO NOT GO THERE AND NEVER GO ANYWHERE
          > ALONE/UNARMED!!!!!!"
          >
          > VERY disturbing. I'm going to try to go by there sometime
          tomorrow,
          > but if this is accurate, it sure sounds like there some scary
          > directions this sport might be heading. I've always been scared of
          > booby-traps in caches just because I know eventually somebody is
          > going to want to ruin this sport.
          >
          > -Daniel
        • jnbarth
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
            I have to agree that there is a lot simpler explanation than a plot
            to freak out a geocacher.

            My bet is that a grieving dog owner decided to bury his beloved pet
            in the dog's favorite play area. He probably selected an area out of
            view of any paths and made a grave of a mound of rocks. He probably
            took great care to make sure the grave was not only well off the
            beaten path, but also well hidden. He would probably be just as
            upset as PrincessButtercup if he were to discover that someone
            playing a technogeek version of hide and seek had desicrated his dogs
            gave!

            I've been to this cache. The area above the cache fits the criteria
            perfectly. I approached this cache from above and my readings
            indicated I was close before the drop off, so if I'd spotted a
            carefully hidden URP up there, I'd have probably investigated it too.

            It's regreatable that she was so badly freightened, but lets keep an
            open mind and not blow this all out of proportion by assuming evil
            intent.
          • web_ling
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2002
              (Web-ling coming out of "Lurk Mode")

              And I thought I had weird stuff happen to my caches! (one washed
              away in a flood, another had a chain-link fence erected around it...)

              Glad Fido wasn't there when I visited the cache in February with my 3
              and 5 year olds. And my squeemish wife.

              Rich Wendling
              aka Web-ling