Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
      else tried it?

      At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
      retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

      Robert

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

      CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo

    • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
        It
        > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
        > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
        > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
        the
        > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

        Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
        caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
        would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
        geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
        ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
        Buxley's).

        I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
        all of my North Texas caches!

        Rich Wendling
        aka Web-ling
      • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
          <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

          > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
          > It
          > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
          > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
          > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
          > the
          > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
          >
          > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
          > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
          >
          > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
          > all of my North Texas caches!

          I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
          but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
          austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
          someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
          happy to volunteer to help out.

          Tony from Team Bohica
        • Ken Mikolaj
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
            I agree. We are past the point where more of the
            simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
            more than enough of those.

            We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
            and interesting virtual caches.

            --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
              Um...why is this "troubling"?

              --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:

              > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
              > be no interest in
              > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • David Gahagan
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.

                > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                > more than enough of those.
                >
                > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                > and interesting virtual caches.
                >

                > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                > > the geocaching
                > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                > > the need to make
                > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                > > "creative" caches.

              • David Gahagan
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                  can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Well, duh. I think I know that.

                    I asked why it was "troubling".

                    If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                    you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                    If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                    fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                    over it.

                    --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                    > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                    > involved in our sport, but
                    > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                    > accessible caches.

                  • Diann Black
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                      I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                      Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                      I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                      --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                      > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                      > involved in our sport, but
                      > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                      > accessible caches.

                      Do you Yahoo!?