Geocaching talk next week

  • Vicki L. Almstrum
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      I wanted to share information about this event sponsored by the
      Central Texas chapter of IEEE WIE (Women in Engineering; IEEE is a
      professional organization for all types of engineers.)

      Could be of interest for many folks on this list! Both men and
      women are welcome!

      ***************
      Title: Geocaching: A Game of Technology and Adventure
      Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2007
      Time:
      11:30am Introduction and talk
      12:15pm Networking and caching on NI grounds
      Speaker: Candy Lind, Texas Geocaching Association board member
      Location: Cafe 2, National Instruments, 11500 North MoPac, Austin,
      TX, 78759;
      Cost: No charge
      RSVP: None required
      NOTE: Feel free to bring lunch or to come a bit early and purchase
      lunch in the NI cafeteria

      Abstract -- In this talk, Candy Lind will introduce geocaching as a
      fun sport that can appeal to all ages. She will talk about the
      geocaching technology itself, where it has been, and where it is
      going. After the talk, attendees will have the opportunity to
      participate in a small geocaching adventure on the beautiful grounds
      at National Instruments.

      Biography
      Candy Lind has been an avid geocacher since 2002, when only 167
      caches existed within a 100-mile radius of Austin. She is a current
      board member of the Texas Geocaching Association. Candy regularly
      teaches classes on geocaching on the local and state level. She works
      extensively with Texas Parks and Wildlife and teaches Introduction to
      Geocaching as part of the TPW program Becoming an Outdoors Woman.

      For more details about this event, please see
      http://www.austin-wie.org/meetings/meeting-centex-wie-070508.htm
      ***************
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2007
        She sure paints a rosy picture, doesn't she?? :">

        Candy
        moosiegirl
        (This is a reminder for everyone to PUT YOUR "HANDLE" IN YOUR SIG so the newbies can get to know our names AND our handles!)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to share information about this event sponsored by the
        > Central Texas chapter of IEEE WIE (Women in Engineering; IEEE is a
        > professional organization for all types of engineers.)
        >
        > Could be of interest for many folks on this list! Both men and
        > women are welcome!
        >
        > ***************
        > Title: Geocaching: A Game of Technology and Adventure
        > Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2007
        > Time:
        > 11:30am Introduction and talk
        > 12:15pm Networking and caching on NI grounds
        > Speaker: Candy Lind, Texas Geocaching Association board member
        > Location: Cafe 2, National Instruments, 11500 North MoPac, Austin,
        > TX, 78759;
        > Cost: No charge
        > RSVP: None required
        > NOTE: Feel free to bring lunch or to come a bit early and purchase
        > lunch in the NI cafeteria
        >
        > Abstract -- In this talk, Candy Lind will introduce geocaching as a
        > fun sport that can appeal to all ages. She will talk about the
        > geocaching technology itself, where it has been, and where it is
        > going. After the talk, attendees will have the opportunity to
        > participate in a small geocaching adventure on the beautiful grounds
        > at National Instruments.
        >
        > Biography
        > Candy Lind has been an avid geocacher since 2002, when only 167
        > caches existed within a 100-mile radius of Austin. She is a current
        > board member of the Texas Geocaching Association. Candy regularly
        > teaches classes on geocaching on the local and state level. She works
        > extensively with Texas Parks and Wildlife and teaches Introduction to
        > Geocaching as part of the TPW program Becoming an Outdoors Woman.
        >
        > For more details about this event, please see
        > http://www.austin-wie.org/meetings/meeting-centex-wie-070508.htm
        > ***************

      • Perrine, Julie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2007

          You’re too modest, Candy!  You’re a GREAT resource!

          And thanks for pitching my pet project about the game names.  It really helps me to know who I’m talking to!

        • Vicki L. Almstrum
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2007
            On May 3, 2007, at 10:17, Candy Lind wrote:
            She sure paints a rosy picture, doesn't she?? "

            Candy
            moosiegirl
            (This is a reminder for everyone to PUT YOUR "HANDLE" IN YOUR SIG so the newbies can get to know our names AND our handles!)

            Oops!  I know better!!!  I am 1/3 of FiedoGang, often shown as FG2 when we write about actions by the individuals in our little gang.  Last week we surpassed 60 caches and are now excited as we move toward 100.  Geocaching has been a great addition to our family's repertoire!!

            I'm excited about Candy's presentation next week.  I realize suddenly that I did not write Candy's handle on the webpage about the presentation (even though the images at the bottom are clearly related to her handle)  -- so I will fix that soon!!

            -- Vicki
              (FG2 in FiedoGang)

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              Sometimes I think that first 100 is the sweetest.
              Suddenly you begin thinking: "I'm a *real* cacher!"
              Of course, then caches start feeling like potato chips: uno mas!!!!

              BarbJ/Tygress

              On Thu, 3 May 2007 10:32:33 -0500 "Vicki L. Almstrum" <almstrum@...> writes:
[...]

              @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
              I don't want to be famous. I want to be great. --Ray Charles
            • Rich and Di Michelson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                Hey, I got this announcement from an engineer I work with in email this week...I told her to be sure to go, since she's involved with her daughter's girl scout troop and will learn a lot!

                --Di
                half of dirich92 (the better half!!  jk honey!!)

                On 5/3/07, Candy Lind <candylind@...> wrote:

                She sure paints a rosy picture, doesn't she?? :">

                Candy
                moosiegirl
                (This is a reminder for everyone to PUT YOUR "HANDLE" IN YOUR SIG so the newbies can get to know our names AND our handles!)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:

                > I wanted to share information about this event sponsored by the
                > Central Texas chapter of IEEE WIE (Women in Engineering; IEEE is a
                > professional organization for all types of engineers.)
                >
                > Could be of interest for many folks on this list! Both men and
                > women are welcome!
                >
                > ***************
                > Title: Geocaching: A Game of Technology and Adventure
                > Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2007
                > Time:
                > 11:30am Introduction and talk
                > 12:15pm Networking and caching on NI grounds
                > Speaker: Candy Lind, Texas Geocaching Association board member
                > Location: Cafe 2, National Instruments, 11500 North MoPac, Austin,
                > TX, 78759;
                > Cost: No charge
                > RSVP: None required
                > NOTE: Feel free to bring lunch or to come a bit early and purchase
                > lunch in the NI cafeteria
                >
                > Abstract -- In this talk, Candy Lind will introduce geocaching as a
                > fun sport that can appeal to all ages. She will talk about the
                > geocaching technology itself, where it has been, and where it is
                > going. After the talk, attendees will have the opportunity to
                > participate in a small geocaching adventure on the beautiful grounds
                > at National Instruments.
                >
                > Biography
                > Candy Lind has been an avid geocacher since 2002, when only 167
                > caches existed within a 100-mile radius of Austin. She is a current
                > board member of the Texas Geocaching Association. Candy regularly
                > teaches classes on geocaching on the local and state level. She works
                > extensively with Texas Parks and Wildlife and teaches Introduction to
                > Geocaching as part of the TPW program Becoming an Outdoors Woman.
                >
                > For more details about this event, please see
                > http://www.austin- wie.org/meetings/meeting-centex-wie-070508.htm
                > ***************

              • bjdukette
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                  I wish I could be there to watch you do your magic, Candy! Good Luck

                  Barbara (GiGi and JoJo)

                  <almstrum@...> wrote:

                  > I wanted to share information about this event sponsored by the
                  > Central Texas chapter of IEEE WIE (Women in Engineering; IEEE is a
                  > professional organization for all types of engineers.)
                  >
                  > Could be of interest for many folks on this list! Both men and
                  > women are welcome!
                  >
                  > ***************
                  > Title: Geocaching: A Game of Technology and Adventure
                  > Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2007
                  > Time:
                  > 11:30am Introduction and talk
                  > 12:15pm Networking and caching on NI grounds
                  > Speaker: Candy Lind, Texas Geocaching Association board member
                  > Location: Cafe 2, National Instruments, 11500 North MoPac, Austin,
                  > TX, 78759;
                  > Cost: No charge
                  > RSVP: None required
                  > NOTE: Feel free to bring lunch or to come a bit early and purchase
                  > lunch in the NI cafeteria
                  >
                  > Abstract -- In this talk, Candy Lind will introduce geocaching as
                  > fun sport that can appeal to all ages. She will talk about the
                  > geocaching technology itself, where it has been, and where it is
                  > going. After the talk, attendees will have the opportunity to
                  > participate in a small geocaching adventure on the beautiful
                  grounds
                  > at National Instruments.
                  >
                  > Biography
                  > Candy Lind has been an avid geocacher since 2002, when only 167
                  > caches existed within a 100-mile radius of Austin. She is a
                  current
                  > board member of the Texas Geocaching Association. Candy regularly
                  > teaches classes on geocaching on the local and state level. She
                  works
                  > extensively with Texas Parks and Wildlife and teaches Introduction
                  > Geocaching as part of the TPW program Becoming an Outdoors Woman.
                  >
                  > For more details about this event, please see
                  > http://www.austin-wie.org/meetings/meeting-centex-wie-070508.htm
                  > ***************

                • Vicki L. Almstrum
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                    It was wonderful!  I arrived a few moments late (had to drive down from Georgetown) and Candy was MIA -- out on the course making final adjustments -- but once things got rolling, a great time was had by all!!  And we "only" lost two of the caches we hid yesterday ...

                    Many many thanks, Candy, it was fun to be your helper!!

                    -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2007
                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki L. Almstrum" <almstrum@...> wrote:

                      > It was wonderful! I arrived a few moments late (had to drive down
                      > from Georgetown) and Candy was MIA -- out on the course making final
                      > adjustments -- but once things got rolling, a great time was had by
                      > all!! And we "only" lost two of the caches we hid yesterday ...
                      >
                      > Many many thanks, Candy, it was fun to be your helper!!
                      >
                      > -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                      MY SINCEREST THANKS go to those of you who thought about saying something about us "losing" caches at this demo ... and then kept their lips zipped!

                      I talked too long, as usual. I need help from a professional speaker who can help me whittle down my spiel!

                      A huge thank you! to those who offered me their GPSr's --
                      Candy
                      Moosiegirl