GPS 101

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 5:40 AM

      > I have never owned a GPS before, so I am a total beginner on all
      this,
      > and don't even know yet what the Trip & Waypoint Manager will do for
      > me.

      Mina,

      I just saw this announcement and thought you might be interested:

      GPS 101 Part 1 - REI Downtown
      5/29/2007 6:30 PM

      This is a two part class. The course covers enough material that
      users who range from no experience to those with a good working
      knowledge of GPS use can all benefit and enjoy the course. The course
      is broken down into two sessions. The topics covered will include:

      Essential Functions
      Satellite System and Accuracy
      Physical Characteristics of GPS Units
      Pages or Screens of a GPS Unit
      GPS Models and Features
      Field Exercise
      Mapping and Coordinate Systems

      This class is limited to 15 people. You must register ahead of time
      to attend. Register by contacting REI Downtown customer service at
      512-482-3357.
      Location: REI Downtown - 6th & Lamar
      Contact: REI Downtown Customer Service 512-482-3357
      Cost: Free
      Registration Required? Yes. REI Downtown Customer Service 512-482-
      3357
    • StratmanAndTheHoot@suddenlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3 5:47 AM
        Message
        Mina,

        I have two 76CS/76CSx and have the software you are looking for.  I don't think that is what you need though (but you can have it if you want it). Candy (Moosiegirl) suggested GSAK already (I and everyone else around here would agree with her), but you also want the map software.  I think it is called City Select and I think the latest version is 8.0.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I loaned my DVD to someone.  You can get that disk for free from Garmin, but then you have to pay to get the maps turned on so they can go into the unit.

        Curtis / Stratman

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3 6:54 AM
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com,
          <StratmanAndTheHoot@...> wrote:

          > Mina,
          For that model she would want City Navigator:
          http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp
          Brent

          > I have two 76CS/76CSx and have the software you are looking for. I
          don't
          > think that is what you need though (but you can have it if you want
          it).
          > Candy (Moosiegirl) suggested GSAK already (I and everyone else
          around here
          > would agree with her), but you also want the map software. I think
          it is
          > called City Select and I think the latest version is 8.0. Someone
          correct
          > me if I'm wrong as I loaned my DVD to someone. You can get that
          disk for
          > free from Garmin, but then you have to pay to get the maps turned
          on so they
          > can go into the unit.
          >
          > Curtis / Stratman

        • Candy Lind
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 8:14 AM
            Guys, I don't think Mina indicated anything about wanting street maps. She just needs to get started! Mina, LATER you will want to investigate buying the street mapping software because the unit you bought has some AWESOME auto-routing capabilities.

            In the meantime, would you like to go out and just get started learning how to set a waypoint and "go to" it? How about an easy geocache or two? Give me a call. I'm the "geocaching hotline" in this area, so everyone has my number and I don't mind publishing it. It's FIVE ONE TWO - SIX THREE TWO - SIX TWO ZERO SIX.

            I live near 620 and 183. I'll be happy to meet you somewhere (near YOUR home if that's easier) to do a geocache or two. Let me know if you are interested!

            Candy
            moosiegirl
          • Loomis-Norris
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 7:29 AM
              Thanks sooo much to Candy who actually came by and showed me how to
              find geocaches, and some things about the GPS unit! She is wonderful!

              Mina

              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 9:09 AM
                Yup, she certainly is!

                BarbJ/Tygress

                On Mon, 07 May 2007 14:29:42 -0000 "Loomis-Norris"
                <mkloomis@...> writes:
                > Thanks sooo much to Candy who actually came by and showed me how to
                > find geocaches, and some things about the GPS unit! She is
                > wonderful!
                >
                > Mina
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
                > <candylind@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Guys, I don't think Mina indicated anything about wanting street
                > maps.
                > > She just needs to get started! Mina, LATER you will want to
                > investigate
                > > buying the street mapping software because the unit you bought has
                > some
                > > AWESOME auto-routing capabilities.
                > >
                > > In the meantime, would you like to go out and just get started
                > learning
                > > how to set a waypoint and "go to" it? How about an easy geocache
                > or two?
                > > Give me a call. I'm the "geocaching hotline" in this area, so
                > everyone
                > > has my number and I don't mind publishing it. It's FIVE ONE TWO -
                > SIX
                > > THREE TWO - SIX TWO ZERO SIX.
                > >
                > > I live near 620 and 183. I'll be happy to meet you somewhere (near
                > YOUR
                > > home if that's easier) to do a geocache or two. Let me know if you
                > are
                > > interested!
                > >
                > > Candy
                > > moosiegirl

                I don't want to be famous. I want to be great. --Ray Charles