Re: WANTED: To borrow, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD for Garmin GPSmap 76

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Loomis-Norris" <mkloomis@...> wrote:

      > I got this Garmin GPS unit at the REI Garage Sale. The customer had
      > returned it without anything else that came in the box. It works fine,
      > and I have ordered and received the USB cable. But there's also a CD
      > that comes in the box. The original owner would not be able to make
      > any use of the CD without the GPS unit.

      OH, FOO! DID I MISS THE REI GARAGE SALE AGAIN?????

      I just can't seem to catch the email and then remember to go when it comes up. But that's not the point of this post ...

      Mina, we probably have one around we can give you, but you don't really have to have it in order to load waypoints to your GPS. There is a free package called EasyGPS (find a link from the geocaching.com website) you can get if what you want is to load waypoints from computer to GPS. OR ...

      You can download Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, which most of us on this board use and recommend, put your waypoints in there, and load your GPS from there. GSAK is the be-all end-all software package for organizing your geocache waypoints, sorting and filtering them in a way that pleases you, and then loading the info to your GPS in the format that you like best.

      If you would still like to have the Trip & Waypoint Manager, I will start looking for it. Just let me know!

      Happy Trails,
      Candy
      waiting for Woot! to reboot ...

    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007

        P.S. I have a MAJOR case of 'x' envy! And waterproof and floaty, to boot!!!

        Happy Trails,
        Candy

        waiting for Woot! to reboot ...

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007

          > I have never owned a GPS before, so I am a total beginner on all
          this,
          > and don't even know yet what the Trip & Waypoint Manager will do for
          > me.

          Mina,

          I just saw this announcement and thought you might be interested:

          GPS 101 Part 1 - REI Downtown
          5/29/2007 6:30 PM

          This is a two part class. The course covers enough material that
          users who range from no experience to those with a good working
          knowledge of GPS use can all benefit and enjoy the course. The course
          is broken down into two sessions. The topics covered will include:

          Essential Functions
          Satellite System and Accuracy
          Physical Characteristics of GPS Units
          Pages or Screens of a GPS Unit
          GPS Models and Features
          Field Exercise
          Mapping and Coordinate Systems

          This class is limited to 15 people. You must register ahead of time
          to attend. Register by contacting REI Downtown customer service at
          512-482-3357.
          Location: REI Downtown - 6th & Lamar
          Contact: REI Downtown Customer Service 512-482-3357
          Cost: Free
          Registration Required? Yes. REI Downtown Customer Service 512-482-
          3357
        • StratmanAndTheHoot@suddenlink.net
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2007
            Message
            Mina,

            I have two 76CS/76CSx and have the software you are looking for.  I don't think that is what you need though (but you can have it if you want it). Candy (Moosiegirl) suggested GSAK already (I and everyone else around here would agree with her), but you also want the map software.  I think it is called City Select and I think the latest version is 8.0.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I loaned my DVD to someone.  You can get that disk for free from Garmin, but then you have to pay to get the maps turned on so they can go into the unit.

            Curtis / Stratman

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              <StratmanAndTheHoot@...> wrote:

              > Mina,
              For that model she would want City Navigator:
              http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp
              Brent

              > I have two 76CS/76CSx and have the software you are looking for. I
              don't
              > think that is what you need though (but you can have it if you want
              it).
              > Candy (Moosiegirl) suggested GSAK already (I and everyone else
              around here
              > would agree with her), but you also want the map software. I think
              it is
              > called City Select and I think the latest version is 8.0. Someone
              correct
              > me if I'm wrong as I loaned my DVD to someone. You can get that
              disk for
              > free from Garmin, but then you have to pay to get the maps turned
              on so they
              > can go into the unit.
              >
              > Curtis / Stratman

            • Candy Lind
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                Guys, I don't think Mina indicated anything about wanting street maps. She just needs to get started! Mina, LATER you will want to investigate buying the street mapping software because the unit you bought has some AWESOME auto-routing capabilities.

                In the meantime, would you like to go out and just get started learning how to set a waypoint and "go to" it? How about an easy geocache or two? Give me a call. I'm the "geocaching hotline" in this area, so everyone has my number and I don't mind publishing it. It's FIVE ONE TWO - SIX THREE TWO - SIX TWO ZERO SIX.

                I live near 620 and 183. I'll be happy to meet you somewhere (near YOUR home if that's easier) to do a geocache or two. Let me know if you are interested!

                Candy
                moosiegirl
              • Loomis-Norris
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2007
                  Thanks sooo much to Candy who actually came by and showed me how to
                  find geocaches, and some things about the GPS unit! She is wonderful!

                  Mina

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 2007
                    Yup, she certainly is!

                    BarbJ/Tygress

                    On Mon, 07 May 2007 14:29:42 -0000 "Loomis-Norris"
                    <mkloomis@...> writes:
                    > Thanks sooo much to Candy who actually came by and showed me how to
                    > find geocaches, and some things about the GPS unit! She is
                    > wonderful!
                    >
                    > Mina
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
                    > <candylind@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Guys, I don't think Mina indicated anything about wanting street
                    > maps.
                    > > She just needs to get started! Mina, LATER you will want to
                    > investigate
                    > > buying the street mapping software because the unit you bought has
                    > some
                    > > AWESOME auto-routing capabilities.
                    > >
                    > > In the meantime, would you like to go out and just get started
                    > learning
                    > > how to set a waypoint and "go to" it? How about an easy geocache
                    > or two?
                    > > Give me a call. I'm the "geocaching hotline" in this area, so
                    > everyone
                    > > has my number and I don't mind publishing it. It's FIVE ONE TWO -
                    > SIX
                    > > THREE TWO - SIX TWO ZERO SIX.
                    > >
                    > > I live near 620 and 183. I'll be happy to meet you somewhere (near
                    > YOUR
                    > > home if that's easier) to do a geocache or two. Let me know if you
                    > are
                    > > interested!
                    > >
                    > > Candy
                    > > moosiegirl

                    I don't want to be famous. I want to be great. --Ray Charles