Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?

      Robert

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver
      <thediver@a...> wrote:
      > While your here, What does this mean?
      >
      > >From Map Caches:
      >
      > Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer
      view.

      > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'
      >
      > Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been
      deleted.
      > Requested operation requires a current record.
      >
      > /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355
      >

      > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:40, Robert wrote:
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
      > > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
      > > > I think
      > > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great
      thing.
      > > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to
      check
      > > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that
      > > might
      > > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
      > >
      > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of
      Austin. It
      > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
      > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven
      website
      > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
      the
      > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
      > >
      > > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
      > > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
      > > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another
      site to
      > > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that
      issue,
      > > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
      > >
      > > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
      > > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log
      finds,
      > > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your
      caches
      > > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city
      level
      > > (something that Buxley's can not do).
      > >
      > > Robert
      > > a.k.a. Austin Explorer

    • The Diver
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/

        Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
          else tried it?

          At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
          retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

        • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
            > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
            It
            > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
            > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
            > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
            the
            > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

            Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
            caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
            would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
            geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
            ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
            Buxley's).

            I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
            all of my North Texas caches!

            Rich Wendling
            aka Web-ling
          • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
              <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

              > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
              > It
              > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
              > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
              > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
              > the
              > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
              >
              > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
              > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
              >
              > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
              > all of my North Texas caches!

              I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
              but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
              austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
              someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
              happy to volunteer to help out.

              Tony from Team Bohica
            • Ken Mikolaj
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                more than enough of those.

                We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                and interesting virtual caches.

                --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Um...why is this "troubling"?

                  --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:

                  > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                  > be no interest in
                  > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • David Gahagan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                    wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                    interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                    cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                    old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.

                    > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                    > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                    > more than enough of those.
                    >
                    > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                    > and interesting virtual caches.
                    >

                    > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                    > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                    > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                    > > the geocaching
                    > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                    > > the need to make
                    > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                    > > "creative" caches.

                  • David Gahagan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                      can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                        Well, duh. I think I know that.

                        I asked why it was "troubling".

                        If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                        you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                        If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                        fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                        over it.

                        --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                        > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                        > involved in our sport, but
                        > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                        > accessible caches.

                      • Diann Black
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                          I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                          Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                          I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                          --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                          > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                          > involved in our sport, but
                          > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                          > accessible caches.

                          Do you Yahoo!?