Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

Expand Messages
  • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
    Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to get the answer from a
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm
      capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to
      get the answer from a finder and email the owner. The email
      indicates the correct answer AND includes the geocaching.com user
      name so that the owner can both confirm the answer AND WHO answered
      the question. Other auto-confirm systems I've seen did not ask for
      the user name, so the owner has no way of knowing that a given
      geocaching.com log corresponds with a correct answer.

      For my virtuals it's fairly easy to match up emails (one from
      AustinExplorer.com and one from geocaching.com) and thus know that a
      geocaching.com log is valid.

      If you have a virtual in the Austin area and want the virtual to be
      auto-confirmed, let me know. I'll set it up.

      Robert

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <robert@a...>"
      <robert@a...> wrote:
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
      > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
      > > I think
      > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great
      thing.
      > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to
      check
      > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I
      > might
      > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
      >
      > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
      It
      > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
      > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
      > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
      the
      > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
      >
      > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
      > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
      > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another site
      to
      > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that
      issue,
      > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
      >
      > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
      > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log finds,
      > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your
      caches
      > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city level
      > (something that Buxley's can not do).
      >
      > Robert
      > a.k.a. Austin Explorer
    • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
      Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on? Robert ... view. ... deleted. ... thing. ... check ... I ... Austin. It ... website ... the ... site
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?

        Robert

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver
        <thediver@a...> wrote:
        > While your here, What does this mean?
        >
        > >From Map Caches:
        >
        > Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer
        view.
        >
        >
        > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'
        >
        > Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been
        deleted.
        > Requested operation requires a current record.
        >
        > /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:40, Robert wrote:
        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
        > > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
        > > > I think
        > > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great
        thing.
        > > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to
        check
        > > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that
        I
        > > might
        > > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
        > >
        > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of
        Austin. It
        > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
        > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven
        website
        > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
        the
        > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
        > >
        > > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
        > > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
        > > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another
        site to
        > > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that
        issue,
        > > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
        > >
        > > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
        > > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log
        finds,
        > > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your
        caches
        > > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city
        level
        > > (something that Buxley's can not do).
        > >
        > > Robert
        > > a.k.a. Austin Explorer
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >
        > >
      • The Diver
        http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/ Clicked on the big picture that said Map Caches .
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/

          Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".

          On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:49, Robert wrote:
          > Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?
          >
          > Robert
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver
          > <thediver@a...> wrote:
          > > While your here, What does this mean?
          > >
          > > >From Map Caches:
          > >
          > > Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer
          > view.
          > >
          > >
          > > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'
          > >
          > > Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been
          > deleted.
          > > Requested operation requires a current record.
          > >
          > > /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:40, Robert wrote:
          > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
          > > > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
          > > > > I think
          > > > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great
          > thing.
          > > > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to
          > check
          > > > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that
          > I
          > > > might
          > > > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
          > > >
          > > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of
          > Austin. It
          > > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
          > > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven
          > website
          > > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
          > the
          > > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
          > > >
          > > > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
          > > > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
          > > > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another
          > site to
          > > > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that
          > issue,
          > > > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
          > > >
          > > > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
          > > > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log
          > finds,
          > > > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your
          > caches
          > > > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city
          > level
          > > > (something that Buxley's can not do).
          > > >
          > > > Robert
          > > > a.k.a. Austin Explorer
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > > >
          > > >
          >
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          >
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
          >
        • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
          Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone else tried it? At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and retry,
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
            Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
            else tried it?

            At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
            retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

            Robert

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver
            <thediver@a...> wrote:
            > http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/
            >
            > Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".
            >
            > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:49, Robert wrote:
            > > Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?
            > >
            > > Robert
            > >
            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver
            > > <thediver@a...> wrote:
            > > > While your here, What does this mean?
            > > >
            > > > >From Map Caches:
            > > >
            > > > Click on an icon for more information or a region for a
            closer
            > > view.
            > > >
            > > >
            > > > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'
            > > >
            > > > Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been
            > > deleted.
            > > > Requested operation requires a current record.
            > > >
            > > > /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:40, Robert wrote:
            > > > > --- In
            CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
            > > > > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
            > > > > > I think
            > > > > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a
            great
            > > thing.
            > > > > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while
            to
            > > check
            > > > > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website
            that
            > > I
            > > > > might
            > > > > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
            > > > >
            > > > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of
            > > Austin. It
            > > > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
            > > > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven
            > > website
            > > > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also
            includes
            > > the
            > > > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
            > > > >
            > > > > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak
            from
            > > > > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys
            an
            > > > > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another
            > > site to
            > > > > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of
            that
            > > issue,
            > > > > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
            > > > >
            > > > > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm
            always
            > > > > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log
            > > finds,
            > > > > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map
            your
            > > caches
            > > > > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city
            > > level
            > > > > (something that Buxley's can not do).
            > > > >
            > > > > Robert
            > > > > a.k.a. Austin Explorer
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > >
            > >
            > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >
            > >
          • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
            ... It ... the ... Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What would
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
              > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
              It
              > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
              > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
              > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
              the
              > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

              Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
              caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
              would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
              geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
              ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
              Buxley's).

              I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
              all of my North Texas caches!

              Rich Wendling
              aka Web-ling
            • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
              ... I think that d be great too. I think you re puling data from Navicache but I m not sure. If I could create cache listings at austinexplorer.com I d do it.
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
                <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:
                >
                > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                > It
                > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                > the
                > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
                >
                > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
                >
                > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                > all of my North Texas caches!
                >

                I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
                but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
                austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
                someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
                happy to volunteer to help out.

                Tony from Team Bohica
              • Ken Mikolaj
                I agree. We are past the point where more of the simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are more than enough of those. We need to move towards more
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                  I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                  simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                  more than enough of those.

                  We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                  and interesting virtual caches.


                  --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                  <web-ling@...> wrote:
                  > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                  > the geocaching
                  > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                  > the need to make
                  > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                  > "creative" caches.
                  >

                  __________________________________________________
                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Ken Mikolaj
                  Um...why is this troubling ? ... __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Um...why is this "troubling"?


                    --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                    > be no interest in
                    > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.
                    >

                    __________________________________________________
                    Do you Yahoo!?
                    Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • David Gahagan
                    Not that I don t agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                      wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                      interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                      cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                      old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.


                      ----- Original Message -----
                      From: "Ken Mikolaj" <stars_fan_2001@...>
                      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                      Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 12:55 PM
                      Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache approval/disapproval and
                      Geocaching.com's existence


                      > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                      > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                      > more than enough of those.
                      >
                      > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                      > and interesting virtual caches.
                      >
                      >
                      > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                      > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                      > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                      > > the geocaching
                      > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                      > > the need to make
                      > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                      > > "creative" caches.
                      > >
                      >
                      > __________________________________________________
                      > Do you Yahoo!?
                      > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                      > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      >
                      >
                    • David Gahagan
                      Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but can t because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches. ... From: Ken
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                        Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                        can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.


                        ----- Original Message -----
                        From: "Ken Mikolaj" <stars_fan_2001@...>
                        To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                        Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:05 PM
                        Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache approval/disapproval and
                        Geocaching.com's existence


                        > Um...why is this "troubling"?
                        >
                        >
                        > --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                        > > be no interest in
                        > > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.
                        > >
                        >
                        > __________________________________________________
                        > Do you Yahoo!?
                        > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                        > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                        > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        >
                        >
                      • Ken Mikolaj
                        Well, duh. I think I know that. I asked why it was troubling . If you are in a wheel chair, it s a fact of life that you are limited in some things you can &
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                          Well, duh. I think I know that.

                          I asked why it was "troubling".

                          If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                          you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                          If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                          fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                          over it.



                          --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                          > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                          > involved in our sport, but
                          > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                          > accessible caches.
                          >
                          >
                          > ----- Original Message -----
                          > From: "Ken Mikolaj" <stars_fan_2001@...>
                          > To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                          > Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:05 PM
                          > Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache
                          > approval/disapproval and
                          > Geocaching.com's existence
                          >
                          >
                          > > Um...why is this "troubling"?
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > In addition, I find it troubling that there
                          > seems to
                          > > > be no interest in
                          > > > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.
                          > > >
                          > >
                          > > __________________________________________________
                          > > Do you Yahoo!?
                          > > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
                          > now.
                          > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                          > >
                          > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                          > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                          >
                          >


                          __________________________________________________
                          Do you Yahoo!?
                          Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • Diann Black
                          I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                            I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                            Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                            I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                             Ken Mikolaj <stars_fan_2001@...> wrote:

                            Well, duh.  I think I know that. 

                            I asked why it was "troubling".

                            If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                            you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                            If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                            fine.  But, "troubling"?  I won't be losing any sleep
                            over it.



                            --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                            > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                            > involved in our sport, but
                            > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                            > accessible caches.
                            >
                            >
                            > ----- Original Message -----
                            > From: "Ken Mikolaj" <stars_fan_2001@...>
                            > To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:05 PM
                            > Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache
                            > approval/disapproval and
                            > Geocaching.com's existence
                            >
                            >
                            > > Um...why is this "troubling"?
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                            > >  >
                            > > > In addition, I find it troubling that there
                            > seems to
                            > > > be no interest in
                            > > > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.
                            > > >
                            > >
                            > > __________________________________________________
                            > > Do you Yahoo!?
                            > > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
                            > now.
                            > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            > >
                            > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                            > > CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            > >
                            > >
                            >
                            >
                            >


                            __________________________________________________
                            Do you Yahoo!?
                            Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com


                            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                            CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



                            Do you Yahoo!?
                            Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now

                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.