Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • The Diver
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      While your here, What does this mean?

      >From Map Caches:

      Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer view.

      ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'

      Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
      Requested operation requires a current record.

      /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355

    • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm
        capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to
        get the answer from a finder and email the owner. The email
        indicates the correct answer AND includes the geocaching.com user
        name so that the owner can both confirm the answer AND WHO answered
        the question. Other auto-confirm systems I've seen did not ask for
        the user name, so the owner has no way of knowing that a given
        geocaching.com log corresponds with a correct answer.

        For my virtuals it's fairly easy to match up emails (one from
        AustinExplorer.com and one from geocaching.com) and thus know that a
        geocaching.com log is valid.

        If you have a virtual in the Austin area and want the virtual to be
        auto-confirmed, let me know. I'll set it up.

        Robert

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <robert@a...>"

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?

          Robert

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

        • The Diver
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
            http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/

            Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
              Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
              else tried it?

              At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
              retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

            • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                It
                > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                the
                > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

                Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
                would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
                geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
                ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
                Buxley's).

                I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                all of my North Texas caches!

                Rich Wendling
                aka Web-ling
              • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
                  <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

                  > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                  > It
                  > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                  > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                  > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                  > the
                  > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
                  >
                  > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                  > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
                  >
                  > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                  > all of my North Texas caches!

                  I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
                  but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
                  austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
                  someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
                  happy to volunteer to help out.

                  Tony from Team Bohica
                • Ken Mikolaj
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                    I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                    simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                    more than enough of those.

                    We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                    and interesting virtual caches.

                    --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Um...why is this "troubling"?

                      --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:

                      > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                      > be no interest in
                      > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • David Gahagan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                        Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                        wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                        interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                        cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                        old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.

                        > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                        > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                        > more than enough of those.
                        >
                        > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                        > and interesting virtual caches.
                        >

                        > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                        > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                        > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                        > > the geocaching
                        > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                        > > the need to make
                        > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                        > > "creative" caches.

                      • David Gahagan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                          Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                          can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                            Well, duh. I think I know that.

                            I asked why it was "troubling".

                            If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                            you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                            If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                            fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                            over it.

                            --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                            > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                            > involved in our sport, but
                            > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                            > accessible caches.

                          • Diann Black
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                              I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                              Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                              I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                              --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                              > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                              > involved in our sport, but
                              > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                              > accessible caches.

                              Do you Yahoo!?