Want to go paperless??

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
      Cacher ricanrod in San Antonio has posted on the GPS Garage Sale forum
      that he has several Palm PDAs for sale for paperless caching. If you
      are interested in picking up something like this, here's the posting:

      http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=160039

      Planning a trip to San Antonio for caching could save you the cost of
      shipping. ;-)

      Happy Trails,
      Candy
      Moosiegirl
    • Rich and Di Michelson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
        This brings up a question.  (you see, I've got a bonus check I haven't yet transferred to savings, and it's burning a hole...)

        Does this device exist?

        I want:  PDA/GPSr/MP3 player combo (cell phone optional), with maps, caches visible on the maps, and when I click the cache, the cache page pops up.  It would be nice if the info was live via WiFi, but I'll settle for downloaded info.  Memory card slot a must.  I'm partial to Palm OS, but I can learn a new one if needed.

        And it would be a bonus if I could get John Cleese to give me directions.

        --Di

        On 4/3/07, Candy Lind <candylind@...> wrote:

        Cacher ricanrod in San Antonio has posted on the GPS Garage Sale forum
        that he has several Palm PDAs for sale for paperless caching. If you
        are interested in picking up something like this, here's the posting:

        http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=160039

        Planning a trip to San Antonio for caching could save you the cost of
        shipping. ;-)

        Happy Trails,
        Candy
        Moosiegirl

      • Bob Chernow
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          You have almost given the specs for my PDA which I actually have for sale. I just switched to a TREO 700 from a 650 and it has almost all the capabilities you want if you purchase/acquire the correct software and are enough of a geek to handle it. The Treo is a little unstable if you load too much onto it which I tended to do but here is the software/hardware list needed.

          Software:

          TomTom Navigator 6 USA DVD ($149 new) - Gives talking Driving navigation and yes, John Clese can talk you thru your drive.

          Geoniche ($20+) - Is sorta the Off road GPS software and is very useful - Can hold 1000's of waypoints along with the full descriptions, ratings, hint, and logs.

          Cachemate ($8) - Great for holding waypoints and cache pages but not so good for actually finding them.

          Hardware:

          RBT 2010 Bluetooth GPS ($100) - Awesome little GPSr unit to provide the Treo with GPS info.

          SD Card 2gig ($30) - Holds the data, Tomtom software, etc.

          That is what is needed. I have all of this but I am using all but the Treo and 2 gig card for my 700p so all I am selling is the TREO 650. I am selling it cheap so make an offer if interested.

          Oh, and it is also a PDA Phone. As I said, due to poor design the TREO does have some problems when the limited Cache memory gets full. It tends to reboot. This takes only seconds and is harmless unless it reboots while you are in Geoniche capturing a track log and you lose it. (See I am being very honest about it). Anyway, it does what you need and more so let me know if you are interested.

          Bob

          On 4/3/07, Candy Lind <candylind@email. com> wrote:

          Cacher ricanrod in San Antonio has posted on the GPS Garage Sale forum
          that he has several Palm PDAs for sale for paperless caching. If you
          are interested in picking up something like this, here's the posting:

          http://forums. groundspeak. com/GC/index. php?showtopic= 160039

          Planning a trip to San Antonio for caching could save you the cost of
          shipping. ;-)

          Happy Trails,
          Candy
          Moosiegirl

        • Criselda Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
            maybe it can wash dishes too!

            Rich and Di Michelson <dirich92@...> wrote:
[...]

            always stay connected to friends.

          • A Allen (SEMIK)
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
              This made me think: "Getting an FTF in TBI territory, priceless"

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Chernow

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                Michael Palin would be a better choice -- he's been around the world a few times =g=

                On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 06:01:19 -0500 "Rich and Di Michelson" <dirich92@...> writes:
[...]

                @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                Wherever you go, go with all your heart. --Confucius
              • Doc
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                  If you get a Treo phone, you can play music, run Cachmate on the PDA, put in a GPSr card in and run a nice GPS software such as GeoNiche for your geocaching/navigation needs.

                  I love mine (don't use it as a GPS, but love using Cachmate on it) and I beleive Blizzard will endorse the Treo also...

                  Barry
                  aka Doc Geo

[...]

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                • Doc

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                      On 4/4/07, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:
                      > I love mine (don't use it as a GPS, but love using Cachmate on it) and I beleive Blizzard will endorse the Treo also...

                      1/2 of TBI used to rock the Treo hard. I also think the Treo is
                      wicked cool. I am application devoid; I tend to just fire up Blazer
                      and fetch pages from GC via my turtle-slow GPRS. Its pretty much a
                      FTF staple up in the Norteno.