Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • David Gahagan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      Rich, thanks for your support. These are the exact issues I am talking
      about and have mentioned in the post in the thread, and that you have
      mentioned more than once.

      In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to be no interest in
      creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

      It also interesting that Jeremy has had nothing to say.

      I'm done with geocaching.com for now. I had several other (what I thought)
      were great cache locations in my area (east of Austin), but I see no reason
      to put forth any effort to get them hidden. And yes they were mostly
      virtuals to add to my Chainsaw Massacre series. The childish remarks like
      "why don't you go find more caches then come back and make your comments
      since you've only found 6", and the like have completely turned me off.
      This sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Arguing with the admins
      about approvals is not worth my time. If they want the sport to flourish,
      they better figure out who the customer is and start providing a service. I
      don't pay my hard earned money to receive form letters and BS reasons for
      non-approval. I get that everyday at the office.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
        <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
        > I think
        > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great thing.
        > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to check
        > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I
        might
        > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.

        AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin. It
        includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
        difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
        that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes the
        ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

        What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
        experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
        enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another site to
        log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that issue,
        but I'm not very confident that will work out.

        Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
        interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log finds,
        rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your caches
        with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city level
        (something that Buxley's can not do).

        Robert
        a.k.a. Austin Explorer
      • The Diver
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          While your here, What does this mean?

          >From Map Caches:

          Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer view.

          ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'

          Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
          Requested operation requires a current record.

          /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
            Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm
            capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to
            get the answer from a finder and email the owner. The email
            indicates the correct answer AND includes the geocaching.com user
            name so that the owner can both confirm the answer AND WHO answered
            the question. Other auto-confirm systems I've seen did not ask for
            the user name, so the owner has no way of knowing that a given
            geocaching.com log corresponds with a correct answer.

            For my virtuals it's fairly easy to match up emails (one from
            AustinExplorer.com and one from geocaching.com) and thus know that a
            geocaching.com log is valid.

            If you have a virtual in the Austin area and want the virtual to be
            auto-confirmed, let me know. I'll set it up.

            Robert

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <robert@a...>"

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
              Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?

              Robert

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

            • The Diver
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/

                Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                  Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
                  else tried it?

                  At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
                  retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

                • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                    > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                    It
                    > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                    > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                    > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                    the
                    > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

                    Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                    caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
                    would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
                    geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
                    ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
                    Buxley's).

                    I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                    all of my North Texas caches!

                    Rich Wendling
                    aka Web-ling
                  • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
                      <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

                      > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                      > It
                      > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                      > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                      > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                      > the
                      > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
                      >
                      > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                      > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
                      >
                      > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                      > all of my North Texas caches!

                      I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
                      but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
                      austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
                      someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
                      happy to volunteer to help out.

                      Tony from Team Bohica
                    • Ken Mikolaj
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                        I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                        simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                        more than enough of those.

                        We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                        and interesting virtual caches.

                        --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                          Um...why is this "troubling"?

                          --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:

                          > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                          > be no interest in
                          > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • David Gahagan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                            Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                            wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                            interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                            cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                            old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.

                            > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                            > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                            > more than enough of those.
                            >
                            > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                            > and interesting virtual caches.
                            >

                            > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                            > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                            > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                            > > the geocaching
                            > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                            > > the need to make
                            > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                            > > "creative" caches.

                          • David Gahagan
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                              Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                              can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                                Well, duh. I think I know that.

                                I asked why it was "troubling".

                                If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                                you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                                If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                                fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                                over it.

                                --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                                > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                                > involved in our sport, but
                                > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                                > accessible caches.

                              • Diann Black
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                                  I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                                  Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                                  I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                                  --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                                  > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                                  > involved in our sport, but
                                  > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                                  > accessible caches.

                                  Do you Yahoo!?