Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] "Whirling" Compass

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
      Um. Move away until it stops whirling. Get as good an angle as you can get. Vector in and....
      Go-Go-Cacher Senses!

      And keep the hot line number programmed into your Cell.

      There are times that a GPS only gets you close -- and the rest is up to human sussing.
      And there are times the GPS is spot on certain -- 30 feet from the cache.

      I know. NOT the magic handshake you wanted to hear. But if you do have an effective find the cache dance, I'd love to film it!

      On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:15:36 -0500 "Peter M. Maurer" <geochat@...> writes:
      I'd like to see the answer to that one myself. In my experience, there isn't anything you can do about it other than buy a better GPS.  (And in many cases, not even that will help.) But if someone has some suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

      --Pete Maurer (DrHogg)

      At 04:51 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

      amick and I have been running into the problem of
      caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
      just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
      the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
      number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
      again in three different places. Any suggestions about
      how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
      nearby?

      motx/martha

      Be a PS3 game guru.

      Enthusiasm is the yeast that raises the dough. --Paul J. Meyer